Author Topic: 9th Circuit Court decision regarding California May Issue  (Read 11304 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
9th Circuit Court decision regarding California May Issue
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2014/02/12/1056971.pdf

Currently reading through it. CalGuns Foundation claims a victory for 2nd Amendment. Trying to make sense of the thing at the moment to see for myself.

Edit to add: CalGuns forum members claim that California is now Shall Issue thanks to this ruling :O.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:54:09 PM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: 9th Circuit Court decision regarding California May Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
Link to Washington Post about the decision.

The Ninth Circuit, in a 2-1 opinion written by Judge O’Scannlain, ruled that Peruta was entitled to Summary Judgement, because the “good cause” provision violates the Second Amendment.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:04:55 PM »
I have just read it.  An amazing decision, by a historically-liberal Federal Appeals Court.  This is a positive decision for those in favor of the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms in self-defense.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
I doubt we will see any kind of true "shall issue" out of California in my lifetime and I'm only 51. The deision will be appealed, stayed and drug through the courts for decades.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »
I doubt we will see any kind of true "shall issue" out of California in my lifetime and I'm only 51. The deision will be appealed, stayed and drug through the courts for decades.

I would have agreed with you, and it's still possible. But SCOTUS has weighed in on the matter and they tend to try to resolve splits in the lower courts. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/02/13/more-on-the-reasoning-of-the-ninth-circuits-right-to-carry-a-gun-opinion/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
The 9th Circus can be rather unperdictable...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:09:31 PM »
The 9th Circus can be rather unperdictable...

High-potency pot will do that.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 09:15:44 PM »

Do not bet on that!!!

I would have agreed with you, and it's still possible. But SCOTUS has weighed in on the matter and they tend to try to resolve splits in the lower courts. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/02/13/more-on-the-reasoning-of-the-ninth-circuits-right-to-carry-a-gun-opinion/

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahah

I am positively buoyant today, this decision will  un do soo much damage.
Withing 5 years I will be able to visit NYC/NJ and be perfectly legal while carrying on my NV LTC.

This is the best news since Heller V DC, uncork the Champagne!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:50:53 AM »

Next step is an en banc rehearing of case.  Regardless of outcome of that it will be appealed to SCOTUS after the en banc hearing.  Then may-issue goes away for the few states that still practice it.  Assuming Benedict Roberts doesn't find some to call it a tax anyway.  Then you have to litigate the whole issue of cross-state recognition.

Shall issue in Cali is probably a couple years out.  Being able to legally carry with an out of state CCW is probably more like 10 years out, assuming a liberal bias isn't introduced by Obama or Hillary Clinton.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:12:18 AM »
I wish I could be optimistic about it.
I just don't see a Republican, let alone an actual conservative, ever occupying the Whitehouse again in the foreseeable future. The next several SCOTUS appointments WILL place the courts firmly in the hands of liberal bed wetters and what few gains we have seen in the last few years will be wiped away.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 02:13:53 AM »

Suck it California!
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 07:21:47 AM »
I just don't see a Republican, let alone an actual conservative, ever occupying the Whitehouse again in the foreseeable future. The next several SCOTUS appointments WILL place the courts firmly in the hands of liberal bed wetters and what few gains we have seen in the last few years will be wiped away.

Were you looking over my shoulder when I was typing this post?
Unfortunately, I am in perfect agreement with you, RKL.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 08:19:55 AM »

I tend to agree with you on that as well.

Unfortunately.

"We" are, for the most part, individual hobbyists and amateurs.

"They" are, for the most part, dedicated, eight-hour-a-day salaried statists.

"We" tend to relax and go back to shooting tin cans off our back porches after every miniscule victory.

"They" keep on digging up every abstract or circuitous reason to try to remove guns from the population.

"We" cannot even place ads in the public media.

"They" constantly bombard the low-information voters with specious propaganda.

"We" are individualists.

"They" are statists.

Terry, :(
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 08:39:30 AM »

I have been reading these same statements since Reagan, and look where we are now on RKBA.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
I tend to agree with you on that as well.

Unfortunately.

"We" are, for the most part, individual hobbyists and amateurs.

"They" are, for the most part, dedicated, eight-hour-a-day salaried statists.

"We" tend to relax and go back to shooting tin cans off our back porches after every miniscule victory.

"They" keep on digging up every abstract or circuitous reason to try to remove guns from the population.

"We" cannot even place ads in the public media.

"They" constantly bombard the low-information voters with specious propaganda.

"We" are individualists.

"They" are statists.

Terry, :(

One of the most compelling reason to reduce the size of the state is to throw such folk out on their azzes so they have to find real work that leaves them too tired at the end of the day to agitate for more statism.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 10:55:56 AM »
I have been reading these same statements since Reagan, and look where we are now on RKBA.

Some temporary gains. Look where we are everywhere else.
DHS
BATFE
FBI
NSA
ACA
Hell Reagan couldn't even get nominated with today's GOP.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »
One of the most compelling reason to reduce the size of the state is to throw such folk out on their azzes so they have to find real work that leaves them too tired at the end of the day to agitate for more statism.

Or nuke DC.

People like us have absolutely no interest in living in the seat of power because we just want to be left alone.  People like them LOVE living in seats of power because it gives them easy access to the levers and buttons of social engineering.

There's nowhere to "throw them out on their azzes" because the entirety of the city they live in is dedicated to the purpose of meddling with your life.  You have to throw the very city itself out on its *expletive deleted*ss.

DC was spec'ed as a federal enclave whose sole purpose was to serve as a naval yard, military training center and home to Congress/POTUS/SCOTUS and foreign embassies.  "Needful structures."  Not effing K-street and a shytload of lobbyists. Definitely not a city of millions of people trying to suck off the government teat. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »

The Democratic appointed justices want to take away our guns while the Republican appointed justices want to kick down our doors to see if we have a "small amount" of some prohibited vegetable material.

=(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »
not too years ago it was said that there will be no carry at Grand Canyon, at Yellowstone.
if the anti gunners are as stupid as think they are they will try for enbanc and drag it to the SCOTUS -  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HOWEVER they are beginning to understand they are cutting their nose to spite their face, they will probably let it go and we'll simply have shall issue in CA and Hawaii.

I hope they are as dumb as they appear and have Gura the great win another huge SCOTUS win in a year or two.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 12:10:57 AM »
The Democratic appointed justices want to take away our guns while and join the Republican appointed justices wanting to kick down our doors to see if we have a "small amount" of some prohibited vegetable material.

I believe you'll find that more accurate.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 10:40:50 AM »

I believe you'll find that more accurate.

I never said the two were mutually exclusive  :P

Actually, I think the only reason that Republicans somewhat sorta sometimes support gun rights is that they just figure that the dot guv has bigger guns and MRAPs and drones etc so they really don't care about our pea-shooters  =|  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »
^
Actually, I think the only reason that Republicans somewhat sorta sometimes support gun rights is that they just figure that the dot guv has bigger guns and MRAPs and drones etc so they really don't care about our pea-shooters.

That concept has been drifting around, unformed and unverbalized, in the back of my head for a while.  Thanks for stating it clearly for me.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
I think you could express the same sentiment with less of a dire undertone, i.e. our small arms are suitable for defense but not a localized uprising.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Tell that to Helmand Province.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »

Either way, I see SCOTUS becoming less & less relevant. Just look at how quickly DC complied with HELLER.

It'll be Jackson/Marshall all over again....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.