Author Topic: New Indiana law allows citizens to use force against authorities  (Read 945 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: New Indiana law allows citizens to use force against authorities
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:01:08 PM »
Police, of course, are not pleased

That's always a good sign  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
That's from a year and half ago.  (Jun 2012)

A couple of years ago the Indiana Supreme Court upheld a conviction of man accused of murdering a police officer in a middle of the night, no-knock raid on his house. (which just so happened to be the wrong house, IIRC).

There was a large hue and cry across the state with something about the 4th  Amendment.  

This law is a result of that bad decision.   Funny that it's not mentioned in that story.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:21:04 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:27:06 PM »
This law is a result of that bad decision.   Funny that it's not mentioned in that story.

Bad precedent makes for bad law.  I think I'd have preferred something along the lines of it still being self defense if the killer had no reasonable belief that the invader he killed was a police officer in the valid course of his duties.

And yes, it should stop something like 99% of no-knocks.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
A couple of years ago the Indiana Supreme Court upheld a conviction of man accused of murdering a police officer in a middle of the night, no-knock raid on his house. (which just so happened to be the wrong house, IIRC).

There was a large hue and cry across the state with something about the 4th  Amendment.  

Don't you mean Barnes v. State?
Pretty sure the case didn't involve anyone getting killed.
Back in 2011 the Indiana Supreme Court weighed in on a case involving a domestic disturbance (Barnes v. State) which went something like this:
A couple are fighting when the guy is getting ready to move out.  He throws a phone against the wall and his wife (Mary) calls 911 and tells them that he's throwing stuff but hasn't hit her.  Cops arrive and talk to Richard Barnes outside his apartment.  Mary comes out and tells Richard to get the rest of his stuff.  Mary and Richard both go back into their apartment whereupon Richard tells the cops they aren't needed and his wife says (to Richard) "don't do this", and "just let them in" while never actually granting permission to enter.  Cops push past the guy and he shoves the officer against the wall.  The cop tases and arrests Richard who is charged with and convicted of resisting law enforcement, misdemeanor battery on a law enforcement officer, disorderly conduct and a couple of other things.  Barnes appealed stating that he was opposing unlawful entry by officers.

After all the appeals were said and done instead of the Indiana Supremes just saying "Nope, it was a lawful entry based on exigent circumstances and the need to ensure all parties were safe," or something, they decided to say:
We believe however that a right to resist an unlawful police entry into a home is against public policy and is incompatible with modern Fourth Amendment jurisprudence. Nowadays, an aggrieved arrestee has means unavailable at common law for redress against unlawful police action.
and
We also find that allowing resistance unnecessarily escalates the level of violence and therefore the risk of injuries to all parties involved without preventing the arrest [...]
Read the whole decision here: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and-regional/indiana/pdf-supreme-court-ruling-in-barnes-v-state/pdf_c82cdbb8-7ea0-5c55-bb00-2aa247134bbb.html
So, because the Indiana Supremes ruled that there was no right to resist illegal entry by cops, the Indiana State Legislature was pressured into passing a law that explicitly allowed it.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
Maybe he got that one switched with one in florida where I believe a guy shot a cop in his garage under similar conditions. I am not sure but I think he walked

On reflection I think the guy fought the cops not sure if there was
Shooting
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
I remember the original ISC ruling happening, but don't recall the circumstances. Also remember this passing as a result
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »
Yup, the law is an attempt to undo a bad state supreme court ruling (or maybe 2 rulings?) that people can't resist police entering their homes illegally.  People in Indiana don't stand for that kind of thing.

This was all a few years ago.  Why the sudden interest now?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:59:07 PM »
I just caught the linked story, and several similar stories, in the last few days. Don't know why it sprung into the news all of the sudden...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark