Author Topic: Pocket Carry vs Weight Loss  (Read 3540 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Pocket Carry vs Weight Loss
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:03:22 AM »
So I'm a certified Big Fat Guy, but I'm working on it.  I'm down 20lb over the past year and trying to maintain a slow & steady weight loss.  This has lead to unintended consequences.

I've pocket-carried for years.  The pockets on my old jeans are huge.  As in I can front-pocket a holstered 3" SP101 will full sized Hogue overmolded grips with plenty of room to spare.  The problem is those jeans were a little loose on me 20lb ago and are now falling off of me.  So I bought a couple pair in my new size.  Same brand, still meant for BFG's, but a smaller size.  Apparently that means smaller pockets too. Now I can just barely get my holstered S&W 649 with LG-405 grips in there without the butt peeking up out of my pocket.

This is hardly incentive to lose more weight.   :P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:34:31 PM by BryanP »
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Pocket Carry vs Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:08:02 AM »
Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis.  Front or back pocket, doesn't matter.  Will even fit in a large breast pocket if your shirt/coat has one.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »
Sure it is in an incentive, lose enough weight and you can IWB pistol without it jabbing you in a fat roll!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »
If you are losing weight, you might be a good candidate for 'appendix carry.'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:59:26 AM »
If it's an issue of pocket depth, it's trivially easy to sew on or add a deeper pocket.

If it's the pocket slit width that's too short for a comfortable draw, that's harder to fix.
I promise not to duck.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »
Shoulder rig for the win.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:04:14 PM »
So I'm a certified Big Fat Guy, but I'm working on it.  I'm down 20lb over the past year and trying to maintain a slow & steady weight loss.  This has had lead to unintended consequences.

I've pocket-carried for years.  The pockets on my old jeans are huge.  As in I can front-pocket a holstered 3" SP101 will full sized Hogue overmolded grips with plenty of room to spare.  The problem is those jeans were a little loose on me 20lb ago and are now falling off of me.  So I bought a couple pair in my new size.  Same brand, still meant for BFG's, but a smaller size.  Apparently that means smaller pockets too.

I hate that.   I bought a pair of Dickies, just to try out.  Reasonably sturdy and all, but pockets are unusably small.  I can barely get my hands in them.

Maybe they're just cheaping out on pockets.

Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis.

My thinking is tending to the opinion that what that is good for is for when nothing larger will do.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis.  Front or back pocket, doesn't matter.  Will even fit in a large breast pocket if your shirt/coat has one.

Brad

I've got a Kahr PM9 that is more than small enough.  I was just griping because I prefer my revolvers.  Well, that and I was having problems finding decent SD ammo that functioned properly in the Kahr.  I finally got to the range a couple of weeks ago and ran 6 boxes of different brands.  The Federal Guard Dog EFMJ and Hornady Critical Defense with the plastic tip filling the hollow point were the winners of that from the "didn't malf at all" standpoint."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:13:02 PM by BryanP »

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
If it's an issue of pocket depth, it's trivially easy to sew on or add a deeper pocket.

It's depth.  And I can get by with just barely deep enough.  i just have to be careful when I bend over or the butt becomes visible.

(go ahead, you know you want to make the obvious joke)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »
Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis.  Front or back pocket, doesn't matter.  Will even fit in a large breast pocket if your shirt/coat has one.

Brad

Uh huh, huh huh, he said "large breast"

"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
When I pocket carry a P3AT (that has a pocket clip), I put it in the *watch pocket*.  It is secure there; the handle is visible but nobody notices, or at least they don't realize what it is.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 12:57:04 PM »
Get a Glock.

:rofl: :rofl:

Braces/Suspenders and IWB perhaps with a cover garment?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »
Get some "Bubba" overalls  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
Get some "Bubba" overalls  :lol:

I may live in the south but I'm not going to live the stereotype.   =D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
Google "tailor <your town>"

They can make/make over pockets to specification.  Korean ones generally do not get all PSH when you have a gun - as long as you do not point it at them.

Most of my pants have had the right front pocket redone in a heavy fabric as well as being resized to properly fit a carry gun, including reshaped to stop that annoying tendancy for the gun to tun over and rest on its back.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »
Google "tailor <your town>"

They can make/make over pockets to specification.  Korean ones generally do not get all PSH when you have a gun - as long as you do not point it at them.

Most of my pants have had the right front pocket redone in a heavy fabric as well as being resized to properly fit a carry gun, including reshaped to stop that annoying tendancy for the gun to tun over and rest on its back.

stay safe.

The one tailor shop in My Little Town, IL, closed up shop.  He was Thai, and probably a prohibited possessor (on the sexual predators website).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 02:25:56 PM »
I have a few jackets with the zippered pocket on the left chest.  Found out that they are perfect for my LCP, and as quick as pocket carry, or belt carry in the winter under a heavy coat.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »
I've got a Kahr PM9 that is more than small enough.  I was just griping because I prefer my revolvers.  Well, that and I was having problems finding decent SD ammo that functioned properly in the Kahr.  I finally got to the range a couple of weeks ago and ran 6 boxes of different brands.  The Federal Guard Dog EFMJ and Hornady Critical Defense with the plastic tip filling the hollow point were the winners of that from the "didn't malf at all" standpoint."

Yeah, that EFMJ functions flawlessly through my PM9.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 02:56:04 PM »
The one tailor shop in My Little Town, IL, closed up shop.  He was Thai, and probably a prohibited possessor (on the sexual predators website).

If 'tailor" fails you, try "alterations".

I'm getting the impression that you all just roll your pants legs up to fit.  Must be a hold-over from your times in jail, no?

stay safe.

ETA - even if they are prohibited persons they can still make you a pocket.  However, that Thai fella might be watched as to which gun he was measuring.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
I'm getting the impression that you all just roll your pants legs up to fit.  Must be a hold-over from your times in jail, no?

I just buy them in the right length.  But the pocket alteration idea is worth considering.

Yeah, that EFMJ functions flawlessly through my PM9.

Sawdust

Yeah, I figure it's better than ball.  I just wonder how it performs in a real life situation. I rarely hear of it being anyone's first choice.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 09:21:35 PM »
Uh huh, huh huh, he said "large breast"

=D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Rodensouth

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
I'm really truly upset that I've not even considered alteration of my pockets. I'm glad I remembered to breathe today. I pocket carry S&W snubbies and a Shield, but nice pockets to my specks would open up my options.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »
When I pocket carry a P3AT (that has a pocket clip), I put it in the *watch pocket*.  It is secure there; the handle is visible but nobody notices, or at least they don't realize what it is.

Where do you find jeans with that big of a watch pocket? I can barely fit my Spyderco Native in mine, and it's a hell of a lot smaller than just about any pistol.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »
Where do you find jeans with that big of a watch pocket? I can barely fit my Spyderco Native in mine, and it's a hell of a lot smaller than just about any pistol.

It used to be called the Huskey section.

stay safe.

Rodensouth

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »
Huskey in what brand?