Author Topic: Speaking of Edumakation  (Read 2599 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Speaking of Edumakation
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
My wife's definition of 'teaching to the test', which she says is shared by most of her colleagues:  teaching the kids the possible questions and answers for a specific section of the standardized test.  In other words, the teacher does not know that a question will ask about the capital of Canada, but may know that a common geography question is name the capital of a country in North America.  You don't know which equation, numbers or operations will be on the test but know that the math section usually has questions about how to solve an equation with a certain sequence of operations.  Or the Language Arts section will likely have a question about how to write a topic sentence.

She says teaching to the test will be much more difficult with the Common Core Smarter Balance Assessment since it will be given by computer and the test questions will get more or less difficult depending on how you answer a given question.  The material being tested on will be much broader and there are thousands of possible questions for any one grade level for all the subjects.  She is on some sort of national taskforce that is writing questions for the Smarter Balance Assessment, which is intended to be a nationwide test.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Speaking of Edumakation
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 09:01:44 AM »
Because I'm talking about the ones here in Chicago, perchance?  And my conversations and observations with my employees who sent their kids to Chicago Catholic schools?

So we're using the greater distance for better vision and smaller sample for better accuracy model?! Gotcha

I am stuck with knowing folk who can't get their kid in or having them "not invited back" thats the way the Catholic schools here phrase it. They unlike public schools cull truly disruptive kids since they are not required by law to educate em. Nor do they fear some gov twit will ding em if they aren't disciplining them with thr correct percentages of various ethnic groups represented

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »
My wife's definition of 'teaching to the test', which she says is shared by most of her colleagues:  teaching the kids the possible questions and answers for a specific section of the standardized test.  In other words, the teacher does not know that a question will ask about the capital of Canada, but may know that a common geography question is name the capital of a country in North America.  You don't know which equation, numbers or operations will be on the test but know that the math section usually has questions about how to solve an equation with a certain sequence of operations.  Or the Language Arts section will likely have a question about how to write a topic sentence.

She says teaching to the test will be much more difficult with the Common Core Smarter Balance Assessment since it will be given by computer and the test questions will get more or less difficult depending on how you answer a given question.  The material being tested on will be much broader and there are thousands of possible questions for any one grade level for all the subjects.  She is on some sort of national taskforce that is writing questions for the Smarter Balance Assessment, which is intended to be a nationwide test.

That sounds to me like the problem isn't "teaching to the test" but too much prior information about the test being available. Hopefully the assessment test you mention in your second paragraph will avoid this problem.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
Re:
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »
Part of the trouble is the test is the sword of damacles. Careers hinge on results and the process has flaws. Many of which are typical of what happens when folks plan globally and the plans fail at taking into account reality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 11:24:05 AM »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

• friends
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
its a start

i'd have walked out
have walked out of better

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 01:05:17 PM »
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Re: Re: Speaking of Edumakation
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 03:20:59 PM »
So we're using the greater distance for better vision and smaller sample for better accuracy model?! Gotcha

Reading is fundamental.  If you go back and look you'll see that I referred only to Chicago Catholic schools.  Not the schools in your area nor anywhere else.   You're have decided that what you see in your area applies to everywhere.

I do know that my sister sent her daughters to a Catholic High School in Indianapolis (Turns out to be one the top rated ones in Indiana) and that there was some competition to get them in.  But being a lawyer and able to pay full boat on tuition might have helped sway the school's decision making.  Both of them also got full ride scholarships to Indiana Unnversity after graduation, so they weren't dummies or trouble makers going in.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.