Author Topic: Bit snowy this morning!  (Read 6301 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Bit snowy this morning!
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
Okay, a lot snowy.

Pulled out 6 cars this morning with the land cruiser. The first 4 were to just clear the alley my driveway is on.  Then 2 more blocking the roundabouts to get out of my neighborhood.

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Bit snowy this morning!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:11:40 PM »
Are you SE MN or SW WI?  I'm in SE WI, it's supposed to snow some tonight, tomorrow, and a bunch Saturday night.  I still look forward to snow, seems I can't help myself . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
Western Montana.  Normally Missoula is the mild part of the state, but this week we've been pretty heavily dumped on.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
Enjoy it while you can! 

Spring is right around the corner . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 01:35:46 PM »
Yeah, most snow that we've had all winter.

Actually, I think it's the most snow that we've had at one time out here since since Christmas 2003 (our first winter out on the land).

We had about eight inches a few days ago, and I had just about got us shoveled out.  I dunno how much we got last night because it is drifted up to a couple feet in places.  I'm going to have to bring firewood in from the pile on a tobaggan - no more wheelbarrow

The Suburban just loves bombing through this stuff  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
We're supposed to get 17.4 inches by Sunday night here.

I want a private meeting with Al Gore.  >:D >:D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »
The neighbor apparently ran his tractor/blade up and down our driveway  =)

I just hope it doesn't blow full of snow overnight  :O

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 05:00:32 PM »
^ When we moved into a house in the burbs on a short acre, we had a neighbor who used his garden tractor/mower to plow the dirt road way past his own house, right to ours, the last one.  With that little blade he must have put-putted three or four times back and forth on the road to clear it side to side.

I proceeded to thank him profusely, offering to help whenever he needed, lauding his community spirit, threw in a couple of "bless your hearts," and offered a couple of gallons of gas.

"No need.  I just do it for the fun. Besides, it's an easy way to store up your treasures in Heaven."

Came to be one of my best friends.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:06:10 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
^^^ What a guy.  I can completely understand, I would like to use my toys too!

Several years ago, my next door neighbor was from Minneapolis.  We rarely get snow in the Seattle area.  Once we had a major snowstorm with about eight inches.  My neighbor deployed his snowblower from Minneapolis and it was impressive: treads, self-propelled, headlights and it threw the snow 50 feet!  He and I had so much fun blowing all the neighborhood driveways and sidewalks.  It took only about three minutes per two-car driveway with that thing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:10:24 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »
Western Montana.  Normally Missoula is the mild part of the state, but this week we've been pretty heavily dumped on.

And now the snow is on the move!!!

http://www.khq.com/story/24856337/8-year-old-buried-in-montana-avalanche

bob

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
I had just heard about that.  Here is a more detailed article.  Still short on details, but it looks like everybody made it so far.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/child-adults-pulled-from-mount-jumbo-avalanche/article_6259b476-a0cf-11e3-9a0c-0019bb2963f4.html

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »
It was -34 at my summer house in the UP this morning.  It was 84 here in Texas today......chris3

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
^^^ What a guy.  I can completely understand, I would like to use my toys too!

When he passed on to collect his "treasures in Heaven," there were over 300 people at his memorial service.

Just an ordinary guy, not a mayor or leader or otherwise "prominent person."

Kinda tells ya somethin', don't it?

Terry

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »
Pulled out 6 cars this morning with the land cruiser.

So the Sue-Bee wasn't quite up to it, eh?   :lol:

Snow here is now up to the top of the bumpers on the 4x4 Suburban in places.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:19:49 AM by 230RN »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »
Yeah, we're supposed to get freezing rain on top of two feet of snow by the middle of next week  :facepalm:

We are more or less snowed in here right now.  We've been busting our way a quarter mile to the barn three times a day, but the county road is bad enough that I wouldn't try to go anywhere else unless an emergency, even with a large 4x4.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »
So the Sue-Bee wasn't quite up to it, eh?   :lol:

Snow here is now up to the top of the bumpers on the 4x4 Suburban in places.

The subie wouldn't have made it down the alley...  ground clearance is almost everything in this weather!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
The subie wouldn't have made it down the alley...  ground clearance is almost everything in this weather!

Cue for someone to claim that a Subaru has more "ground clearance" than a fullsize 4x4 pickup/SUV/etc   ;)  :P   =D

Might be technically true regarding minimum ground clearance.  The low point on big 4x4's is the differential which is only two (or one, if IFS) small points.  Critical for rock crawling except no OEM vehicle is really suitable for that anyway.  The overall ground clearance (frame/body/etc) is what's important for deep snow.

If this is the kind of "global warming" that we are going to have, I either need a plow for one of my pickups or else a small bulldozer  =|

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
7" of snow so far.

Went out for breakfast when there was 4" of snow on the ground, figured it can wait until I got some eggs and bacon in me.

On the way home watched an idiot in a little car fly around a bend, loose control and park in a 6' plow pile. I slowed down, saw he wasn't injured and went on my way. I figure he was dumb enough to be driving like an idiot and he can learn either by digging himself out or calling a tow truck.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »
I went to breakfast this morning and there were a few spots I had to blow through some drifts that were trying to stick the cruiser.  One stopped me, but I was able to back out and take another run at it.  That rig has big enough tires that the axles and diffs were only pushing a little snow.  

I'm now up to 9 people pulled out of snow drifts.  Some of them were idiot driving, some of it is the visual conditions suck.  4 of the 9 were in roundabouts that got iced up and slant towards a snow drift.  It's like skiing in overcast conditions, you can't make out the terrain until you are already in it.  Surprise moguls!

I have chains for it in reserve, but they haven't been necessary yet.  If I get to the point where I think I need chains, its time to turn around and go home.

The Subaru has good tires and AWD, but when the entire car is floating on top of the snow it ain't going anywhere   =D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
http://billingsgazette.com/news/national/montana-avalanche-rescue-included-neighborhood/article_d1e9a751-a690-5e55-97e0-18799a186698.html

Rescue officials say about 100 neighbors converged to help find three people buried when an avalanche swept down a mountain in a residential area of Missoula and crushed a house at the bottom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
64 and partly sunny today, 70 and sunny tomorrow. Motorcycle weather, after I put down weed killer.

Milwaukee will be cold, as in 11 today and 2 overnight. I hope my ex is enjoying it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 05:53:41 PM »
Still snowing
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 11:03:26 PM »
My normally 4-hour trip on I-94 between Minneapolis and Madison spanned 10 hours when I diverted to my parents' home.  I finished the second leg earlier today.

Black ice and whiteout conditions.  Rollovers, crashes, slide-offs, pile-ups all the way past Wisconsin Dells.  Grrr....

Yes, that's an LP tanker.  One of many big rigs I saw that had turned turtle.  The traction control in my Jeep was going nuts.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"