Author Topic: Advice on kitchen sink needed.  (Read 2118 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Advice on kitchen sink needed.
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:21:57 PM »
My wife wants a new sink- we have a 15 year old porcelain over cast iron Kohler that has had the glaze rubbed off on the bottom on the high spots  and is hard to clean.  Other than that it has been fine.

SWMBO would like stainless steel sink, but i have no way to evaluate them- and am concerned about quality- need something resistant to scratching, durable and easy to clean- some of the reviews on line are dismaying. Stuff like a dead flat bottom, so the water never drains from the corners, soft metal that mars easily, bowed surface where it fits the countertop, etc--

Any recommendations?  around or under $500. 

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Advice on kitchen sink needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
For $500 a stainless steel sink should do the dishes for you.

FTR, we almost always had SS kitchen sinks.  Clean up any number of stains/sins with one brillo pad.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
It's official.   

APS now covers everything, even the kitchen sink.

:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
We bought a cheapo no-name stainless steel undermount sink online 6 years ago when we remodeled our kitchen. If I ever buy one again I wouldn't buy such an unknown, but only because if it had turned out to be a lemon I'd then have a custom cutout in the not-cheap countertop that I couldn't find a replacment sink to fit.

The sink has been fine, no trouble to scrub out the occasional stain with a brillo pad as roo_ster mentions. No trouble draining, no problems with warping, and that's a cheapo one. Buy a reputable brand and I think you'll be fine.

Do make sure it has a rubberized/whatever bottom (on the underside of the sink, not in it). This greatly reduces the metallic clang and clatter from putting dishes in.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »
Always have stainless when possible, love it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »
Word of advice... if you have hard water, be prepared to wipe the sink down after every use.  Left to its own devices, a hard water stain will etch/discolor a stainless sink in no time.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 08:01:10 PM »
Hard water? Yes, in spades. Calcium and magnesium.   It will not be acceptable to have to wipe down the sink after use- ain't gonna happen. Hmmm...

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »
We spent good money on a fancy Moen stone thing.   It's a complete biatch to keep looking decent,  shows every stain unless maintained with Softsoap.   Get SWMBO the stainless one of her choice  ;)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »
Elkay.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

roo_ster

• friend
Re:
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
Lived on the florida coast for years with a ss sink. Hard water...more like adamantine water.  No need to wpie dry after every use unless you are ocd.  Brillo pad to clean once in a while and vinegar every once in a while.  Lower maint than cast iron and porcelain.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 11:13:38 PM »
What Roo_ster said. As long as you clean off any hard water spots once/week or so with some vinegar, you shouldn't have any issues. We have a water softener, but my parents have quite hard water and had a stainless steel sink for years, never had any etching issues, and keeping it clean wasn't a big deal at all.

Perhaps other water issues than just plain classic "hardness" (calcium) cause the etching Brad seems to have experienced?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:41:14 PM »
I found out at an early age that the kitchen sink is not a good place to rebuild a motorcycle carburetor.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
Anotehr excellent way to keep hard water from being a problem with your stainless steel sink?

A good carnuba car wax.

Apply about once a month and your sink will be a LOT easier to keep clean overall. Car wax is also good on faucets, the stove, the refrigerator... Just about anything metal or porcelain in the kitchen and bathroom.

Do NOT use it on stone, tile, marble, cultured marble, or corian, though.

Here's a "how to" on using car wax on your sink.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/use-wax-stainless-steel-sink-20754.html

More importantly for you, though, are the links on the right side of the page -- How to Choose a Stainless Steel Sink, What to Look for...

Good stuff.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
Lived on the florida coast for years with a ss sink. Hard water...more like adamantine water.  No need to wpie dry after every use unless you are ocd.  Brillo pad to clean once in a while and vinegar every once in a while.  Lower maint than cast iron and porcelain.

Brillo works, as does Scotchbrite, though you have to be careful and go with the "grain" of the brushed finish or you'll end up with odd off-grain patterns here and there (it can also happen if you get too aggressive with abrasive cleansers).  Do NOT use plain steel wool as it can embed into the finish and you'll have little rusty specks all over.  Use stainless steel or bronze wool/scrubber pads.  Bar Keeper's Friend seems to do a good job on stainless.

+1 on Mike's suggestion of giving it a wax every month or so.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:30:11 AM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
Put in an Elkay sink during my recent kitchen remodel, which replaced a cast iron sink.

Thoroughly looked at all of the options (cat iron, stone, etc.), and went SS.

Happy with the choice, although I wish it had more sound-deadening material on the bowls to make it quieter.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
Put in an Elkay sink during my recent kitchen remodel, which replaced a cast iron sink.

Happy with the choice, although I wish it had more sound-deadening material on the bowls to make it quieter.

Sawdust

never done an add on but on uninsulated sinks i have used automotive undercoat to deaden sound   also works if you can build a "shelf" under sink and shoot some LOW EXPANSION  foam in the gap.  did i mention it must be LOW EXPANSION?

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »

Sawdust

I wonder if you could shoot the underside with some rattle can spray on bedliner/sound deadener and help it a bit?

ETA - CS&D beat me to it by a couple seconds.

Brad
-HankB

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies- any thoughts on the Chinese-India made vs US  SS sinks?  I have heard the Chinese metals are suspect in general, but mostly in the machining industry-  I have a lot of iron in my water also and would hate to have a rust problem in a sink, or crevice corrosion, that sort of thing. 

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
only know of one person with a chinese sink.  they have awful water and no troubles so far and it is 5 years. hes a member here but doesn't play much but pm me if you want to see what he got.  hes got a lifestyles of rich and famous kitchen and hes rightly proud of it. and should be he did a lot of the work. his sink is huge has flat bottom almost like one section of a small 3 compartment sink. he got it online and it was a steal
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 12:05:18 PM »
Brillo works, as does Scotchbrite, though you have to be careful and go with the "grain" of the brushed finish or you'll end up with odd off-grain patterns here and there (it can also happen if you get too aggressive with abrasive cleansers).  Do NOT use plain steel wool as it can embed into the finish and you'll have little rusty specks all over.  Use stainless steel or bronze wool/scrubber pads.  Bar Keeper's Friend seems to do a good job on stainless.

+1 on Mike's suggestion of giving it a wax every month or so.

Brad

BKF is some good shinola.

never done an add on but on uninsulated sinks i have used automotive undercoat to deaden sound   also works if you can build a "shelf" under sink and shoot some LOW EXPANSION  foam in the gap.  did i mention it must be LOW EXPANSION?

I would appreciate pictures taken of the learning process that lead you to that conclusion.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
You can't see the hard water spots if the sink is full of dirty dishes  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 01:00:39 PM »
I would appreciate pictures taken of the learning process that lead you to that conclusion.

no pictures but some nimrod , much younger than me, was REAL  smart. he built a sturdy shelf under the sink making sure to get all the measurements right. he mounted the sink to the laminate countertop before setting countertop in place. when he foamed it he was typical young man  more is better. the sink rose up ripping the sink up and pulling 4 of the clips through the edge of the sink cut out. it splintered the top just enough to ruin it. didn'y hurt the mdf but the clips caught the edge of the laminate. was a 1000 dollar top. he ended up building it himself so he could finish kitchen. was one of those only one time mistakes. same guy once bent a metal door frame with that foam so he shoulda known better.  and was sober    for the sink anyway

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »
The only different between Chinese and US steel that I know of is that when we bought Chinese steel (for paint cans) it would rust much, much faster both sitting on pallets waiting to be cut, and after we had made it into cans.  Like badly rusting within a month or so after arrival in the US.  The US made steel would go 6-8 months before we even begin to see spots.

I'd go with an American brand like Elkay or Kohler.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »

I'd go with an American brand like Elkay or Kohler.

What he said.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama