Author Topic: Considering committing heresy  (Read 12068 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Considering committing heresy
« on: March 03, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
So.........    I've got a Colt 1991-A1 that I've had for probably 12 years.   It's my EDC gun, and I really do enjoy it.   But I find myself being inexorably drawn to the Springfield XD line.   My younger brother has one, I believe the XDs...   

While my 1911 does fit my hand well, and I can shoot it well, it's hardly perfect.   Probably the biggest limitation being the magazine size.  I use the 8 round Wilson Combat mags, which are extremely reliable in my gun with my ammo choice.   I don't shoot my 1911 competitively, but I would like to get into some shooting games, such as IDPA, IPSC, or PPC. 

The single biggest attachment I have to the 1911 is emotional.   I mean, it's a 1911.  It's steel, with a little bit of rubber and plastic.  Damn near bulletproof, but the design is 100 years old.  Obviously updates and refinements have been made over the decades, and it *is* a good gun.

But herein lies the heresy.   Talked to my LGS today.   And I could pretty much trade my 1911 straight across for an XD.  Admittedly, I could save up for a bit and work a couple extra OT shifts to pick one up for cash on the table, but......

So am I crazy?  Heretic?  Or finally bowing to the inevitable march of progress?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Considering committing heresy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
I try to avoid emotional attachments to tools, unless there is some sort of family history associated with it. I say do the trade and see how you like the XD.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:15:18 PM »
I say work the extra time, pick up cans along the road or whatever and have both.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »
I say work the extra time, pick up cans along the road or whatever and have both.

Always the answer.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 02:31:22 PM »
Yep.

Plus, a private sale would probably get you more out of your Colt than the XD would be new, so that might be a more cost-effective way of going if you do decide to get rid of it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »
If you have a 1911 that you consider bullet proof, sounds like a keeper. I would try to shoot the plastic guns before jumping into them.  I find I naturally point the Glock 21 better than my XD pistols. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »
Keep it and get both. Almost every time I've sold a gun to get another I've regretted it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »
Keep it and get both. Almost every time I've sold a gun to get another I've regretted it.
This in SPADES!!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 03:14:39 PM »
Do you really want to be haunted by JMB's ghost?

And make THIS puppy cry:

While my 1911 does fit my hand well, and I can shoot it well, it's hardly perfect.   Probably the biggest limitation being the magazine size.  I use the 8 round Wilson Combat mags, which are extremely reliable in my gun with my ammo choice.   I don't shoot my 1911 competitively, but I would like to get into some shooting games, such as IDPA, IPSC, or PPC.

Wilson makes 10-round mags for gun games.  You only need monster-capacity mags for Open & Limited Standard divisions for IPSC. Limited-10 Standard & Production IPSC are fine with 10 round mags (no 1911s or single action in Production).  Eight round mags are max for IDP CDP and Classic IPSC.

You are already 100% ready, gun & mag-wise, for IDPA CDP.

Note: IPSC & USPSA have some deltas I was unaware of.  Looks like you are 100% ready for Single Stack USPSA.  May be able to compete Limited-10 with Wilson 10-round mags.  You would need moster mags to be competitive in Limited and Open divisions.

http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf

FWIW, I would not make the puppy cry.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 04:20:22 PM »

Another vote for the above...plus when the little one gets there your income will be redirected to other expenses.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »
I sold a Glock 36 in 2003. I still think about selling a Glock 36 in 2003. =|
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
Ok.  I'm convinced. 

No heresy.   :D   

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »
An example on the other side.  I saw a Springfield 1911 in 9mm last week.  Suddenly, I was thinking about looking for what I had to trade to get that 1911 in 9mm.  I have no use for another 9mm especially one I'll never carry, but I was thinking it anyway since it was a slick looking pistol. 

I ended up getting a Cimarron Frontier SAA in 357 instead.  Nice shooter.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
Ok.  I'm convinced. 

No heresy.   :D   

Good. I would hate to have to stone you.

As much as I love my XD, I would never trade my 1911 for one.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 05:22:32 PM »

Ditto.

Foregone conclusion at this point, though.  Just chiming in.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »
So.........    I've got a Colt 1991-A1 that I've had for probably 12 years.

But herein lies the heresy.   Talked to my LGS today.   And I could pretty much trade my 1911 straight across for an XD.  Admittedly, I could save up for a bit and work a couple extra OT shifts to pick one up for cash on the table, but......

So am I crazy?  Heretic?  Or finally bowing to the inevitable march of progress?

I like my XD quite a lot.  It works, bang every time, I hit what I shoot at.  But, no.  Don't do it.

And if you decide to go ahead, hey, I'll trade ya.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:57:04 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
Sell it - to someone who wants a Colt 1911 more than you do.

And for crying out loud, get the rubber off of it. Yuck.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »

While I appreciate the genius of the original design by JMB [genuflect] I would posit it is not heresy to have the Hogue grips on there.  Mostly since they fit my hand like they were custom made...  That plus at the time that JMB [genuflect] designed the 1911, these types of grips were not available.

And yes, I'll agree that while a nice set of wooden grips on a 1911 are the epitome of beauty, there's something to be said for utility.  :)

And having been cleansed of the temptation to heresy of letting go of my 1911, I doubt I will be selling it.  It may eventually spend more time in the safe than in the holster, but then again, I have a child on the way now, and while it wasn't my first pistol, it may very well become their first pistol.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:42:02 PM by AmbulanceDriver »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 06:46:48 PM »
Yep, I'm not going to try to pretty the guy that's about to do me harm.  I wanted utilitarian functionality.  I also have a set of rubber grips on my stainless (not shiny stainless, but matte) 1991-A1.  With the finger grooves,  Pearce via Monkeyleg.  It fits me like a glove.

P.S.  If you do decide to sell yours, I'll give you $5 for it.  I mean it's used and you don't want it anymore, right?  =D :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 07:03:11 PM »

Hougue's are awesome. I bought a set for Dad one Christmas, been meaning to get another set for my 1911. Got them on my m-19 too.
So comfy and cushy.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »
I also have a 1991A1.

You should keep your 1911 and buy the XD. However, if you can only have one, then it should be the XD.

1911s are like classic cars...they make great 2nd cars, but you need something practical first.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »
While I appreciate the genius of the original design by JMB [genuflect] I would posit it is not heresy to have the Hogue grips on there.  Mostly since they fit my hand like they were custom made...  That plus at the time that JMB [genuflect] designed the 1911, these types of grips were not available.

And yes, I'll agree that while a nice set of wooden grips on a 1911 are the epitome of beauty, there's something to be said for utility.  :)

And having been cleansed of the temptation to heresy of letting go of my 1911, I doubt I will be selling it.  It may eventually spend more time in the safe than in the holster, but then again, I have a child on the way now, and while it wasn't my first pistol, it may very well become their first pistol.

To be honest, I've been pondering some sacrilege, myself. I'd like to find out what a pair of brown or green VZs might look like on mine. Since I can't afford 'em right now, it's moot.

Oh, and I think heresy applies to matters of belief. Selling your 1911 would be more like sacrilege or apostasy.  =)

Yep, I'm not going to try to pretty the guy that's about to do me harm.  I wanted utilitarian functionality. 

Um, the grips aren't the killy part.  :P

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
I also have a 1991A1.

You should keep your 1911 and buy the XD. However, if you can only have one, then it should be the XD.

1911s are like classic cars...they make great 2nd cars, but you need something practical first.

Errr... How is a 1911A1 impractical?

I'd say my Springfeild mil specs is equal to my XD, and that includes feeding hollowpoints when shooting the gun at odd angles...

OK, that last bits not coming out right... With a cant? Yeah, that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:06:46 PM by bluestarlizzard »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 10:05:10 PM »

Um, the grips aren't the killy part.  :P

Um, the grips help you keep control of the killy part :P

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 10:21:03 PM »

Errr... How is a 1911A1 impractical?

The same way wood grips are impractical, I guess.