Author Topic: The Human Lifespan  (Read 4889 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Human Lifespan
« on: March 03, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »
It really is getting more commonly longer. Which hit me when I read this story and they referred to the living person's 94 year old son and 92 year old daughter. That's almost weird sounding, but likely in another 50 years will be very common. This woman's life has spanned the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries.

Also, it really makes me worry that I'll have enough money for retirement if I live well past 100 and want to retire in my 50s.  :laugh:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/03/03/sushi-and-sleep-are-secrets-to-longevity-according-to-world-oldest-person/?intcmp=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: The Human Lifespan
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »
If I can have a longer lifespan yet still be in good enough shape to enjoy my activities, then sign me up.  A 100 year lifespan with 25 years of increasing decrepitude on the end does not appeal.  In regards to the Japanese woman in the article, I wonder how the Japanese retirement or social welfare system works.  Did she outlive her assets?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:16:40 PM »
If I can have a longer lifespan yet still be in good enough shape to enjoy my activities, then sign me up.  A 100 year lifespan with 25 years of increasing decrepitude on the end does not appeal. 

100% agree. I'd rather die after a healthy 75 years than at 120 years, with my last 30-40 sitting in a chair or laying in a bed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »
100% agree. I'd rather die after a healthy 75 years than at 120 years, with my last 30-40 sitting in a chair or laying in a bed.

Me too.  I like to kick a pig once in a while.   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »
My goal is to die on a sunny day at 75 degrees and a light breeze while riding one of my road bicycles on a nice bike trail.  87 years old or so should do it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 03:39:36 PM »
My goal is to die on a sunny day at 75 degrees and a light breeze while riding one of my road bicycles on a nice bike trail.  87 years old or so should do it.

Try Alaska.  They have some nice bike trails complete with grizzly bears.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:42:51 PM »

"I want to go out at age 92, shot by an irate husband."
----Friend of my family
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:58:46 PM »
Try Alaska.  They have some nice bike trails complete with grizzly bears.   =)

I have always wondered if a properly-motivated rider on a bicycle could outrun a charging bear.   ???

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
I have always wondered if a properly-motivated rider on a bicycle could outrun a charging bear.   ???

Yes, for a short distance.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »

When you turn 87 let us know and we'll give it a try. It'll be reminiscent of Secondhand Lions.  =D

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »

i think it would inspire a personal best time for cyclist
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
Bears can apparently reach speeds of 35mph, or even more. What's your top speed on a bicycle? And how long can you maintain this speed?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »

If you try this make sure to setup multiple cameras so we can post the results to Youtube.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »
Why bother with bears?  A minivan and a distracted driver would be much easier to come by.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »
Fish and sleep... Makes sense to me.

I'm with Millcreek, though. Quanity without quality sounds pretty sucky.
My Dads Grandmother was in a hospital bed. They put her in a wheelchair for Thanksgiving dinner every year. I never once saw her out on her own steam, and we did Thanksgiving every year from the time I was 7 till I was 13. She was over 100 when she finally kicked it and pretty out of the loop for several years before hand.
My own Grandmother is in her 90's and though she's still moving around on her own, she's mentally pretty out of it. We had to stop doing Christmas at her house a few years back because she gets too confused. =| I don't even know if she knows she's a great grandma these days.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »
Yet GMO's and other non-organic foods are going to kill us,  If Globular Woerming, various prescription and non-prescription drugs, and a whole mess of other things are conspiring to off us earlier.  ;/ ;/ ;/ ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 08:44:29 PM »
----Friend of my family

Like.

Alternatively would be die of a massive heatr attack/stroke just after really high quality sex at 92.
Formerly sumpnz

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
Want to live longer and have better health? Many of the things you need to do we already know and understand. It's a lifestyle.

http://www.amazon.com/Younger-Next-Year-Strong-Beyond/dp/076114773X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393897796&sr=8-1&keywords=younger+next+year
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:31 PM »
Want to live longer and have better health? Many of the things you need to do we already know and understand. It's a lifestyle.

http://www.amazon.com/Younger-Next-Year-Strong-Beyond/dp/076114773X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393897796&sr=8-1&keywords=younger+next+year

But one of their rules is, "don't eat crap". That goes back to my rule that I'd rather eat donuts every day with a smile on my face and die at 60 than eat rice cakes every day with a grimace and die at 90.  =D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »
----Friend of my family

I think I've heard that in a movie, but I don't recall where.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 11:38:56 PM »
I want to go out peacefully in my sleep like grandpa, not screaming in terror like passengers in his car.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood, I'd like to go out the same way.

My family history shows a tendency for a life span in the high 90s accompanied by fairly early onset Alzheimers.  ;/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 11:51:37 PM »
Everyone ought to know by now I'm hoping to hold on long enough for mind upload to be perfected, and after a successful run as meatlife, spend a few melennia tooling around as a starship or something.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 08:47:36 AM »
Okay Sheldon..... ;/ ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 08:54:58 AM »
Everyone ought to know by now I'm hoping to hold on long enough for mind upload to be perfected, and after a successful run as meatlife, spend a few melennia tooling around as a starship or something.

I am trying to remember what science fiction novel has this premise.  To the Googles!

PS: I think I am remembering The Ship who Sang, by Anne McCaffrey.  I see it was published in 1969, and I probably read it in the early 70's, so this sounds about right.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:59:14 AM by MillCreek »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 09:09:28 AM »

Best starship name I've heard is "Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.