Author Topic: Illinois  (Read 3543 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Illinois
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:13 AM »
Gay marriages just became  legal.
Interesting method

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Illinois
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »
Yes, it seems denying anyone a marriage license is "unconstitutional" . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
using the eric holder method  states attorney generals opinion is law
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
Funny how there's not even a constitutional amendment protecting marraige  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
Funny how there's not even a constitutional amendment protecting marraige  :lol:

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." Remember, the government is only supposed to have the authority delegated to it. The government would need an amendment giving it the right to restrict marriage.

I'm unaware of the Constitutional amendment granting the government said authority over marriage. Lemme guess. Interstate commerce? General welfare clause?   =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »
Funny how there's not even a constitutional amendment protecting marraige

What is this constitution thing you speak of, and why would it matter?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people." Remember, the government is only supposed to have the authority delegated to it. The government would need an amendment giving it the right to restrict marriage.

I'm unaware of the Constitutional amendment granting the government said authority over marriage. Lemme guess. Interstate commerce? General welfare clause?   =D

The Federal Government has no such authority.

However: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »
Meanwhile we can't get any meaningful pension reform passed nor a balanced budget.  But letting the gayzors get married will ensure that they go out and vote enmass for those that have brought this state to the point of bankruptcy.

And the leading candidate from both parties (Rauner-R/D) has heavy ties to a bunch of Illinois folks already behind bars and PA's Gov. Rendell.   Where a $300,000 campaign contribution got him $100,000,000 (or thereabouts I disremember the actual number) in bond business for Rauner's company. 

I predict that we'll go 5 for the last 8 in the "Governors behind bars" standings, should Rauner win.

Yea us.   =| =|
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 08:09:29 PM »

I'm unaware of the Constitutional amendment granting the government said authority over marriage. Lemme guess. Interstate commerce? General welfare clause?   =D

Your days of taking me seriously are certainly at a middle  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:12 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the polygamy proponents gain any ground.

There really is no compelling reason to keep loving sister wives from legally being with the man they love.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 04:37:08 AM »
Well, there isn't

If you think there really is, Ron, feel free to expound
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »
Well, there isn't

If you think there really is, Ron, feel free to expound

Well, at least that would somewhat resemble an actual marriage. Not exactly a proper marriage, but whatever.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
Well, at least that would somewhat resemble an actual marriage. Not exactly a proper marriage, but whatever.

It's very Biblical  ;)

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 11:40:01 AM »
It's very Biblical  ;)

I bet the Islamic extremists wouldn't hate us as much if we abandoned this newfangled one man/one woman thing and went back to traditional marriage.

;)
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 11:47:45 AM »
Hmmm, I think Ron's on to something there!  :lol:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »
It's very Biblical  ;)

Not sure if serious. Polygamy, like slavery, is something the Bible seems to tolerate for a while, and then mildly rebukes in the New Testament. I think God had bigger fish to fry, so he let the humans slide on a couple of things. For a while.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
Polygamy, like slavery, is something the Bible seems to tolerate for a while, and then mildly rebukes in the New Testament.
I'm curious, where in the NT is this?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »

I can only think of a couple places:
1) Gospel(s): Jesus says women at the well had many husbands and current one is not her husband
2) Paul says something about an elder being the husband of only one wife

Slavery seems to be affirmed in the NT.

So Abraham, Jacob etc were just "tolerated" ?   =|

BTW, I mostly just like poking holes in any argument in a jesting fashion.   ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »
I can only think of a couple places:
1) Gospel(s): Jesus says women at the well had many husbands and current one is not her husband

I don't think the first relates to polygamy. The second is what I'm talking about with "mild rebuke." Not an outright condemnation, but clearly a statement that monogamy is the ideal.

Slavery seems to be affirmed in the NT.

Not affirmed at all. Tolerated, but the NT suggests it is not ideal. "Man-stealing" is condemned, and masters must view Christian slaves as brothers. Doesn't make sense to enslave your brother. And since you're commanded to love even your enemies, it doesn't make much sense to enslave anyone.

So Abraham, Jacob etc were just "tolerated" ?   =|

I don't recall Abraham having more than one wife at a time. He had another wife (Keturah, or something?), but I think she was after Sarah died.

You can't read about Jacob without understanding that he was a very flawed individual. His name means something like cheater, or liar. His polygamy was a result of his being cheated into marrying the wrong sister, and was hardly presented as something to be emulated.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
I couldn't remember any.

"Many critics of polygamy also point to the Pauline epistles that state that church officials should be respectable, above reproach, and the husband of a single wife. Hermeneutically, the Greek phrase mias gunaikos andra, is an unusual Greek construction, and capable of being translated in three possible ways: 1) "one wife man," (prohibiting plural marriage) or 2) "a wife man" (requiring elders to be married) or 3) "first wife man" (prohibiting divorcees from ordination). Some claim that if these verses refer directly to polygamy (definition 1 above) it supports the acceptance of polygamy because if polygamy were outlawed there would be no need to have laws prohibiting leaders from being polygamists. One would only need a law prohibiting polygamy by leaders if polygamy was accepted among lay persons."

So... For everyone not an elder there doesn't seem to be a problem. :D

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »
Right next to the part where Jesus ordered the pork chops for the last supper.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »
And again, we run smack into the issue of basing laws on one group's faith

Telling me something should be legal/illegal based on what the Bible says carries as much water as telling me it should be legal/illegal based on the Chronicles of Narnia

Laws banning things should be based on harm being caused. Murder, rape, theft... all have obvious victims, so therefor are proscribed by law.

Tell me... exactly who is hurt if Spoon and I bring another woman into our relationship as a spouse?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »

Tell me... exactly who is hurt if Spoon and I bring another woman into our relationship as a spouse?

please send pics, then we'll talk..... :angel:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »

More than likely, you.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The definition of bigamy is having one too many wives.  Which also happens to be the same definition of monogamy.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »
Some guy who doesn't have any. He is certainly gonna blame you for hoarding. Never mind that even with it not begin allowed he still doesn't have any.

I'm reasonably certain this is the driving force behind the anti-polygamy laws.

Robert A Heinlein