Author Topic: When you make me a sammich, make it this kind.  (Read 1114 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: When you make me a sammich, make it this kind.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »
Care for a drink? If the restaurant is out of the creamy, almond-based drink horchata, try a Mexican soda in a fun flavor like tamarind.

My experience with "Horchata" has been, it's made with rice, not almond. And I know a lot of Mexicans.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:47:08 PM »
My experience with "Horchata" has been, it's made with rice, not almond. And I know a lot of Mexicans.

Yup, rice. It's my favorite drink with Mexican food, especially if you can get it at a hole in the wall that makes it themselves from scratch.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »
Horchata in the U.S. and northern Mexico is almost always made from rice, but other nuts or seeds can used.  Almonds are very good.

On the sammich front, the Cuban pork sandwich and the Vietamese bánh mì compete well with tortas for my money.  Mexican bakers have steadily diminished the quality of their breads over the years, adopting the tasteless, almost textureless,  mush style of American mass market swill.  As a result, I find it easier to get good bánh mì or Cuban sandwiches than tortas.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
Just don't buy the horchata they sell in the store.  [barf]

Gotta get it freshly made.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:26:46 PM »
Just don't...

There are commercial horchatas that are pretty good, but you often cannot tell 'til your money is spent.  If you are shopping packaged product in the grocery, watch out for the ingredient list:  there are brands with NO rice but all manor of oils, emulsifiers, artificial flavoring, and a huge load of high fructose corn syrup. [barf]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:34:08 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:06:30 PM »

What sort of sammich would you hold out for?

stay safe.

I'm really not picky about my sammiches.  Anything will do, just so long as I don't have to get off the couch . . .

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
I'd have to say that my absolute favorite sammich is a classic Reuben with homemade sauerkraut.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
Just finished a pork tenderloin sammy...

Tenderloin pounded out, egg wash, breaded in Ritz cracker crumbs seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne.  Fried to golden brown perfection.  Placed lovingly on a sourdough roll, then dressed with mayo, tobasco, and pickle chips. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 01:25:20 PM »

Best sammich I made recently was grilled chicken on homemade waffles, with pepperjack cheese.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 02:36:47 PM »
The ultimate dietician's nightmare, the Monte Cristo.  I mean, what isn't there to like about a batter dipped, deep fried double decker ham and cheese?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »
Just finished a pork tenderloin sammy...

Tenderloin pounded out, egg wash, breaded in Ritz cracker crumbs seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne.  Fried to golden brown perfection.  Placed lovingly on a sourdough roll, then dressed with mayo, tobasco, and pickle chips. 

This is going to make my can of Progresso soup, eaten at my desk while writing a policy and procedure, look like crap by comparison.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.