Author Topic: "Smart gun" antis try to buy out Remington/Freedom Group  (Read 4412 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
"Smart gun" antis try to buy out Remington/Freedom Group
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:18:09 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/PH80959.htm

It's a pretty bad lowball offer so let's hope they get shut down.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: "Smart gun" antis try to buy out Remington/Freedom Group
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:21:28 PM »
Richard J. Sullivan
561-515-6163

The CEO of the anti-gun company. Give him a call.

Also, they apparently plan to make money not only from forcing their crapware onto guns, but also through a monthly subscription. A monthly fee, to use your own gun.

No. Way. In. Hell.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »
Richard J. Sullivan
561-515-6163

The CEO of the anti-gun company. Give him a call.

Also, they apparently plan to make money not only from forcing their crapware onto guns, but also through a monthly subscription. A monthly fee, to use your own gun.

No. Way. In. Hell.

:rofl:

I just don't see how this could work. Sales would slump, if not plummet. The backlash among gunnies would be Zumbo10. It would disrupt our supply chain for a while, but the remaining gun companies would expand. New, un-smart, un-fettered products would come along, perhaps from new companies, and things would eventually stabilize.

That's assuming the people behind this didn't just sell the company, when it didn't work out quite as wonderfully as they had hoped.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 11:27:33 PM »
PALM BEACH, Fla., January 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Global Digital Solutions, Inc. (GDSI), a company that is positioning itself as a leader in providing cyber arms manufacturing, complementary security and technology solutions and knowledge-based, cyber-related, culturally attuned social consulting in unsettled areas, today announced GDSI Gatekeeper, a revolutionary suite of technology-enhanced services that offer personalized, digital small arms safety and security solutions in commercial and military-related markets.

GDSI Gatekeeper, which combines advanced Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology with web-based wireless capabilities, will provide commercial and military customers with three essential safety and security benefits:

• Encrypted, password-protected, digital, trigger-locking capability;
• Secure, real-time online tracking; and
• Encrypted, cloud-enabled databases.

The company expects to derive revenue from licensing its proprietary Gatekeeper technology and from monthly database service fees. Authorized dealers would also be able to collect residual fees by enrolling subscribers into the GDSI Gatekeeper safety and security program.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:32:05 PM »

:rofl:

I just don't see how this could work. Sales would slump, if not plummet. The backlash among gunnies would be Zumbo10. It would disrupt our supply chain for a while, but the remaining gun companies would expand. New, un-smart, un-fettered products would come along, perhaps from new companies, and things would eventually stabilize.

That's assuming the people behind this didn't just sell the company, when it didn't work out quite as wonderfully as they had hoped.

They would claim the fact that a large manufacturer was doing it proved it was viable, and it's just those evil ole bitter clingers who won't save the children. So I guess Obama/Hillary/Kris Kringle has to mandate them. Just like seatbelts amirite?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:37:25 PM »
They would claim the fact that a large manufacturer was doing it proved it was viable, and it's just those evil ole bitter clingers who won't save the children. So I guess Obama/Hillary/Kris Kringle has to mandate them. Just like seatbelts amirite?

True, but I don't see it. Post-post-Newtown, gun control at the national level has been killed so dead.

Doesn't help those in the more backward-thinking parts of the country, of course, but I'm starting to think we're just going to see a growing divide between the free and slave states. They'll have locked-down, Minority Report smart iGuns, and we'll have real guns, and it will be that way for a while.  =(

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »
Appears to be a shell company, wonder who's bankrolling them?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:43:04 PM »

True, but I don't see it. Post-post-Newtown, gun control at the national level has been killed so dead.

Doesn't help those in the more backward-thinking parts of the country, of course, but I'm starting to think we're just going to see a growing divide between the free and slave states. They'll have locked-down, Minority Report smart iGuns, and we'll have real guns, and it will be that way for a while.  =(

Legislature won't be needed. ATF can just make things up like the Feds did with seatbelts/turn signals/gas mileage crap etc. Obama loves himself some bypassing the legislature.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:51:49 PM »
Obama has received no serious push back with pencil whipping the ACA to read however he needs it at the minute. What's to stop him from more or less doing the same with the rest.of our laws. I guess we could call Darrel Issa and his Hous3 Oversight Committee to look into it and set things straight like he's done with F&F and the IRS business.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:57:23 PM »
All of his changes to the ACA are hard to challenge because at this point no one who has an interest in doing something about it really has a hard standing to sue. First person to be denied coverage for treatment that they're "entitled" to under Obamacare because of the delays and decides to do something about it will bring the whole thing crashing down, though.

Mandating "smart" gun technology would give just about EVERYONE immediate standing to sue: both manufacturers and customers. He couldn't get away with it, unless one of the Heller majority dies/retires and he gets a replacement in before he's out of office.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 12:09:40 AM »
Legislature won't be needed. ATF can just make things up like the Feds did with seatbelts/turn signals/gas mileage crap etc. Obama loves himself some bypassing the legislature.

And you think Obama's going to do that, once he's got some industry backup?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 12:45:34 AM »
And you think Obama's going to do that, once he's got some industry backup?

I don't think it's likely. I didn't think Roberts screwing us over on the SCOTUS ruling for Obamacare was likely. I didn't think Obama constantly delaying his own signature legislation was likely. /shrugs

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 12:47:30 AM »

Soros or Bloomberg would be my guess.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 12:51:25 AM »
All of his changes to the ACA are hard to challenge because at this point no one who has an interest in doing something about it really has a hard standing to sue. First person to be denied coverage for treatment that they're "entitled" to under Obamacare because of the delays and decides to do something about it will bring the whole thing crashing down, though.

Mandating "smart" gun technology would give just about EVERYONE immediate standing to sue: both manufacturers and customers. He couldn't get away with it, unless one of the Heller majority dies/retires and he gets a replacement in before he's out of office.

Meh, whatever dirt the NSA gave Obama on Roberts that led to the "it's a tax wink wink" ruling would get trotted out again and smart guns are reasonable regulations that don't contradict Heller. Only half joking here.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 01:13:52 AM »
I don't think it's likely. I didn't think Roberts screwing us over on the SCOTUS ruling for Obamacare was likely. I didn't think Obama constantly delaying his own signature legislation was likely. /shrugs

I know what you mean.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 10:05:08 AM »
I hope nothing would happen until the Rem R51 roles out.  I am interested in that pistol and I won't pay a monthly fee to use it. 

I would still like to see these people actually convince a major police department to use and test one of these systems before dumping it on us.  With all the liberal big cities around the country, I am surprised they haven't. 

The other part of this I hadn't thought of:  They are charging a monthly fee.  That indicates your gun can essentially be disabled remotely by someone else.  That sucks.  Of course, I SURE this system is IMPOSSIBLE to disable or defeat and that NONE of the mechanically inclined gun owners around the country will figure out how to bypass it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »

On the gdsi website, they state "An earthquake of failed capital has shaken America’s mainstream gun manufacturers."  What are they referring to here?  Are gun manufacturers suffering some kind of financial crisis?  Because I don't see having to decide what to do with all the money they're making due to record sales as a crisis of "failed capital."

Or is this an example of the tail attempting to get the dog moving?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »
They can't even make a decent website, and they want to sell cloud managed gun control? Uhm, good luck.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »
They can't even make a decent website, and they want to sell cloud managed gun control? Uhm, good luck.

People who can't build a website took over the healthcare industry so...

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »
On the gdsi website, they state "An earthquake of failed capital has shaken America’s mainstream gun manufacturers."  What are they referring to here?  Are gun manufacturers suffering some kind of financial crisis?  Because I don't see having to decide what to do with all the money they're making due to record sales as a crisis of "failed capital."

Or is this an example of the tail attempting to get the dog moving?

I don't get it. First the "failed capital" thing, then there's also a graphic of a bunch of gun companies they don't own. It's like the whole thing's a bit delusional. Sub par website. Scott Brown and Jennifer S. Carroll on the Advisory Board. What the hell? Why does this seem so off?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:50:38 PM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »
I don't get it. First the "failed capital" thing, then there's also a graphic of a bunch of gun companies they don't own. It's like the whole thing's a bit delusional. Sub par website. Scott Brown on the Advisory Board. What the hell? why does this seem so off?

Apparently the icons in the graphic represent the Freedom Group holdings.  GDSI is being over-confident in assuming their offer will be accepted.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »
Apparently the icons in the graphic represent the Freedom Group holdings.  GDSI is being over-confident in assuming their offer will be accepted.

Nope. Beretta is one of the oldest family owned companies on the planet. Ruger and S&W are both public, and as far as I know H&K, CMMG, and Springfield are privately owned companies. Google can probably fill in the rest.

ETA: Remington and Bushmaster are the only Freedom Group companies in the graphic. Hell of a wishlist. Three of those companies aren't even American.

ETA2: Huh, didn't even know about Windham Weaponry. Neat. Anybody know what that logo between Ruger and CMMG is?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:13:15 PM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
I wonder if any of those companies know that their trademarked logos are being used on this start up's website..............?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »
I wonder if any of those companies know that their trademarked logos are being used on this start up's website..............?

Kahr Arms, wholy owned subsidiary of, never mind.  Not them.

• Encrypted, password-protected, digital, trigger-locking capability

• Secure, real-time online tracking

• Encrypted, cloud-enabled databases

“We’re extremely excited about the potential for GDSI Gatekeeper,” said GDSI’s President and CEO Richard J. Sullivan.  “This revolutionary suite of services represents a real breakthrough by leveraging the power of web-based, digital technology to enhance safety and security in the small arms arena, both in the commercial and military sectors.  We think of it as personalized gun control and we believe the accessible worldwide market represents a multibillion dollar opportunity for GDSI.” 

Buzz Word Bingo.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »

I know a few folks have emailed them about it. Not sure if it would come under Fair Use or not.