Author Topic: Is this the end for the WBC?  (Read 1242 times)

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
Is this the end for the WBC?
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
http://news.msn.com/obits/anti-gay-pastor-fred-phelps-sr-dies

Fred Phelps has died.  Will this bring peace to the funerals, or will the rest of the family carry on?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Is this the end for the WBC?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
Considering they've turned it into a money making racket, expect it to continue.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:58:26 PM »
Considering they've turned it into a money making racket, expect it to continue.

I believe it wasn't "turned into a money-making racket", but rather that was the intent from the beginning.

In any case, only time will answer the question, but cults tend to fall apart after the death of their leader.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:38:54 PM »
I must admit that I have not looked into them ind etail, but how have they been able to monetize their picketing of funerals and what not?  Is it by people sending them donations?  Do they accept donations?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
I must admit that I have not looked into them ind etail, but how have they been able to monetize their picketing of funerals and what not?  Is it by people sending them donations?  Do they accept donations?

I think their plan was be so offensive that folks would trample on WBC's 1st amendment rights..  then WBC would sue them.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
and then they settle with their insurance companies
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »
I look for WBC to continue, at least for the near term (>5 years).

Lacking a massive public outcry resulting in [essentially] worldwide demonization while he was at the head, and no  cries for a witchhunt to root out the survivors (a` la the end of WWII) what will take them down is ennui on their part as well as ours.  They have not been very active of late and may not have the will or the wherewithall to ramp up again.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:19:35 PM »
Apparently they kicked him out several months ago.  I'm rather hopeful they will just fade off into the sunset.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »
I think their plan was be so offensive that folks would trample on WBC's 1st amendment rights..  then WBC would sue them.

Yep.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Apparently they kicked him out several months ago.  I'm rather hopeful they will just fade off into the sunset.

I doubt they'll fade much. It's a cult, not a ministry.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:14:32 PM »
As long as it's 'mostly' just family, I'll give it another generation - when his kids start dying it'll be over.