Author Topic: Constitution is 400 Years Old  (Read 5978 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Constitution is 400 Years Old
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
I'd be more inclined to let slide her mixing up of the moon and mars (though that in itself is ridiculously boneheaded for the "leadership' of our country). I demand that someone in her position know the constitution inside and out, and even if her interpretation is somewhat different than mine, she should know the words and when they were written. That should be a basic required test before anyone can even run for elected office.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 11:16:27 AM »
No.  There was a time when our leaders were our intellectual betters.  Like those guys with wigs and funny pants who founded the country.
Now, we're led by morons who couldn't intelectualize themselves out of a wet paper bag, who are elected by people who think that they are owed something by someone, and who can't differentiate you're and your.

Your wright.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »
I'd be more inclined to let slide her mixing up of the moon and mars (though that in itself is ridiculously boneheaded for the "leadership' of our country). I demand that someone in her position know the constitution inside and out, and even if her interpretation is somewhat different than mine, she should know the words and when they were written. That should be a basic required test before anyone can even run for elected office.

This. If my plumber was wrong about some esoteric bit of NEC. If my butcher couldn't sweat copper, so what. The sorriest bit were those commenters making excuses for her lack of basic, job related, facts.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »
No.  There was a time when our leaders were our intellectual betters.  Like those guys with wigs and funny pants who founded the country.
Now, we're led by morons who couldn't intelectualize themselves out of a wet paper bag, who are elected by people who think that they are owed something by someone, and who can't differentiate you're and your.

That may be true when comparing those dudes to today's population.  But back then they were a mix of the middle and upper-middle classes of their day.  Not the idle rich and not the backwoods bumpkin.

It says more about the decline of learning (as opposed to education) since then.  I'd hate to have to pick a "Dream Team" of APSers to go up against just one of the folks in the founding generation.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 04:48:52 PM »
That may be true when comparing those dudes to today's population.  But back then they were a mix of the middle and upper-middle classes of their day.  Not the idle rich and not the backwoods bumpkin.

It says more about the decline of learning (as opposed to education) since then. I'd hate to have to pick a "Dream Team" of APSers to go up against just one of the folks in the founding generation.

stay safe.

I bet I would take Gouverneur Morris in either a sprint or long distance run.  After his 30th year or so.

OTOH, he would eat my rhetorical lunch.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton