Author Topic: Study: vegetarians less healthy, lower quality of life  (Read 7046 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Study: vegetarians less healthy, lower quality of life
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/04/01/study-vegetarians-less-healthy-lower-quality-of-life-than-meat-eaters/

Vegetarians were twice as likely to have allergies, a 50 percent increase in heart attacks and a 50 percent increase in incidences of cancer.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Study: vegetarians less healthy, lower quality of life
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
Unfortuntly, the broad studies like this are victim to numbers scewed by other factors.

It was touched on in the article a bit, but the likelyhood of someone who becomes or is a vegitarian to be involved in other "health" fads and the likelyhood of a vegitarian being something of a hypocondric would mess with any results that want to study pure nutritional value.

Also, based on what I've observed, most "vegitarians" don't have the slightest clue what they're doing. I'm sure there are a few out there that are legitamatly healthy folks with good diets containing all their bodies need, but they are by far the minority. There are signifigently more "vegitarians" who do it to feel special, superior and get attenation.

In other words, there is a corralation between vegitarians and bad health (especially mentel health), but the corralation may be the bad health that caused them to become a vegitarian rather then the bad health stemming from being a vegitarian.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:49:50 AM »
Me Terry have pointy canine teeth.  

Me Terry think Sky Person give me pointy canines for reason.  

Me Terry not go against Sky Person.  

Sky Person also give me Terry dominion over both things stuck in ground and things that run on ground and climb in trees and fly in sky.

Things stuck in ground good eat.

Things run on ground and climb in trees and fly in sky also good eat.

This be good think.

This make love go to Sky Person.

Me Terry
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:02:38 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
Unfortuntly, the broad studies like this are victim to numbers scewed by other factors.

It was touched on in the article a bit, but the likelyhood of someone who becomes or is a vegitarian to be involved in other "health" fads and the likelyhood of a vegitarian being something of a hypocondric would mess with any results that want to study pure nutritional value.

Also, based on what I've observed, most "vegitarians" don't have the slightest clue what they're doing. I'm sure there are a few out there that are legitamatly healthy folks with good diets containing all their bodies need, but they are by far the minority. There are signifigently more "vegitarians" who do it to feel special, superior and get attenation.

In other words, there is a corralation between vegitarians and bad health (especially mentel health), but the corralation may be the bad health that caused them to become a vegitarian rather then the bad health stemming from being a vegitarian.

Ayup.
A lot of people who don't eat much or any meat are perfectly healthy, but they don't necessarily refer to themselves as vegetaruans either. People who refer to themselves as vegans or vegitarians do it for political or attention gettingbreasons and are almost exclusively from the political left.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
Can't remember the last time my measured temperature hit 98.6. Usually lower.

I'm a mesomorph. What suits me may not be uniformly applicable to the other 6.5 odd billion in the extant species cohort. That said, I find some resonance in Terrylogic.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:30:42 PM »
Not surprising.  I've known more than one vegetarian who had an absolutely horrible diet.  Ironically two of them smoked like a chimney and drank like fish.  I guess they thought it all evened out in the end.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »
All I know is that I don't want to die at a young age wishing I'd had that last steak.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
Never saw a vegetarian who didn't look like death warmed over, except for one.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
If you know or are around a lot of folks from India then you know or have seen healthy vegetarians. India has the highest percentage of vegetarians per capita than any other country. Many who come to the US or are natural born here adopt vegetarianism. Some don't eat meat but will consume eggs and dairy.

Just because someone does not eat animal products that doesn't mean they are eating a properly balanced vegetarian diet.

We need fat for proper absorption of nutrients and vegetarians often eat super low fat diets.

A plant based diet needs to be carefully planned in order to get the proper balance of amino acids to build muscle.

In order to get a full complement of vitamins and minerals you have to really know what mix of veggies and nuts/seeds to eat.

I'm like others above, canines and molars, eyes in the front of the head. We are opportunistic predatory omnivores.  

My diet is currently about 80% plant based with occasional chicken/beef as part of one of my meals. One or two times a week I eat a couple eggs. I consume a moderate amount of cheese but no milk or creme. I've nearly eliminated processed wheat and sugar from my diet.

I try and follow the Mediterranean style of eating while being very conscience of the glycemic load of my meals. I'm not absolutest and will share a pizza with you if you are buying and will gladly wash it down with a wheat beer like Bells Oberon  :laugh:    

Over the last 7 years I've lost about 30lbs, nearly 45 in the last decade. My resting blood pressure before I get out of bed is 116/62 at 62bpm. Lipids? Low LDL and Triglycerides with high HDL.

I have a dear friend who abandoned 25 years of vegetarianism due to what she called the overwhelming evidence of the health benefits of moderate consumption of animal products. It was a huge step for a California new ager type earth momma to come to grips with that reality  :laugh:  

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:34:19 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
This is my shocked face.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »
This is my shocked face.

It looks surprisingly similar to your normal "constipated eagle" face.   :lol:
"It's good, though..."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 12:03:19 AM »
They eat vegetarian at Terminus and they look healthy.  Oh, wait a minute, wrong thread.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 01:01:15 AM »
I eat more veggies now ( that I'm on the "caveman/paleo" diet ) than when I was a vegetarian, as a vegetarian-I ate a lot of bread/pasta/sugar products - and gained a lot of weight.
Now, 50 pounds less I eat meat/veggies....a lot more veggies now that I'm not a veggie.
Weird.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 01:46:39 AM »
Corn is a vegetable.
Pigs eat corn, therefore pigs are made of corn and being made of corn makes them a vegetable.
Ergo bacon, being made from pig, is a vegetable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:06 AM »
I eat more veggies now ( that I'm on the "caveman/paleo" diet ) than when I was a vegetarian, as a vegetarian-I ate a lot of bread/pasta/sugar products - and gained a lot of weight.
Now, 50 pounds less I eat meat/veggies....a lot more veggies now that I'm not a veggie.
Weird.

Been several months now since I've been off Nexium. I've also noticed my knees don't bother me when going up and down the stairs. Actually I frequently find myself bounding up and down the stairs like a twenty year old.

I'm pretty much attributing it to the synergy of eliminating the processed foods, eating more whole foods (ie vegetables) and the corresponding loss of weight.

You guys want to lose weight? Stop consuming food comprised of processed flour and sugar. The pounds will melt off your frame. It is pretty amazing truth be told.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:00:36 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
We just bought a Vitamix.  This machine does many things using whole unprocessed veggies and fruits and meats and just about anything.  It makes smoothies out of whole fruits and veggies, grinds or chops up fresh meat while adding your chopped onions and chopped cheese for burgers, makes hot soup and ice cream out of healthy stuff and on and on and on.  I can't wait to start using it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
We just bought a Vitamix.  This machine does many things using whole unprocessed veggies and fruits and meats and just about anything.  It makes smoothies out of whole fruits and veggies, grinds or chops up fresh meat while adding your chopped onions and chopped cheese for burgers, makes hot soup and ice cream out of healthy stuff and on and on and on.  I can't wait to start using it.

Use ear protection  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmCqgGpR2YI
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 12:20:40 AM »
Been several months now since I've been off Nexium. I've also noticed my knees don't bother me when going up and down the stairs. Actually I frequently find myself bounding up and down the stairs like a twenty year old.

I'm pretty much attributing it to the synergy of eliminating the processed foods, eating more whole foods (ie vegetables) and the corresponding loss of weight.

You guys want to lose weight? Stop consuming food comprised of processed flour and sugar. The pounds will melt off your frame. It is pretty amazing truth be told.

Same here, except its been a year since I've had to buy/take Prevacid .... amazing - plus I drink as much coffee as I like - it used to kill me and I would have to take a mega dose ( of prevacid ) to enjoy a few cups - I use organic stevia from traders joes, the main reason is if you get regular stevia it has other additives to make it look larger-its kind of strange at first using the such a small amount to sweeten the coffee
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »
Same here, except its been a year since I've had to buy/take Prevacid .... amazing - plus I drink as much coffee as I like - it used to kill me and I would have to take a mega dose ( of prevacid ) to enjoy a few cups - I use organic stevia from traders joes, the main reason is if you get regular stevia it has other additives to make it look larger-its kind of strange at first using the such a small amount to sweeten the coffee

Artificial sweeteners are a great way to mess up your system.  Your body thinks it is sugar and creates the insulin for it but the insulin has nothing to do and creates all sorts of problems.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 12:25:10 PM »
Weird.
I've always been told that it is difficult and takes some effort as a vegetarian to eat the right food to replace what you are not getting from various meats and animal products.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »
Corn is a vegetable.
Pigs eat corn, therefore pigs are made of corn and being made of corn makes them a vegetable.
Ergo bacon, being made from pig, is a vegetable.

:'( How could you call bacon that horrible name?  :'(

You guys want to lose weight? Stop consuming food comprised of processed flour...

Never!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 02:41:18 PM »
Artificial sweeteners are a great way to mess up your system.  Your body thinks it is sugar and creates the insulin for it but the insulin has nothing to do and creates all sorts of problems.

Ah! but Stevia is an herb - it's a sweet tasting herb but its not an artificial sweetener. Unless its an artificial all natural one  =D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »
Ah! but Stevia is an herb - it's a sweet tasting herb but its not an artificial sweetener. Unless its an artificial all natural one  =D

It is "artificial" in the sense that it tastes sweet but does not contain glucose, or other "sugars".

Oddly enough it's not just a pleasure reaction but your body reacts in the same way as it would to sugar, only worse because there isn't any sugar.

Messing up the insulin system just leads to more weight gain  =(

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 05:24:53 PM »

You guys want to lose weight? Stop consuming food comprised of processed flour and sugar. 

Or you could eschew the nutritional fads and stick with a lifestyle of regular exercise combined with a diet of balanced proportions and proper serving sizes.  That kinda works too.  ;)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB