Author Topic: A Bit of a Milestone.  (Read 1999 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
A Bit of a Milestone.
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »
Today marks 20 years since the last time my face was clean shaven.

That is all.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

fifth_column

• friend
Re: A Bit of a Milestone.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 02:10:39 PM »
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
And in a few days it will be the 20th anniversary of my being laid off from American Rifleman magazine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »

That is all.

Let me know when you get to 40+.  I started three days before the end of my involuntary extension of enlistment.  Had even finagled a no-shave chit from a sympathetic corpsman, in keeping with my policy of bending every regulation known to the Men's Department of the US Navy.

I'm currently working on 5 years with no trimming of head nor beard.  Daily pooing (sham or real as the notion strikes me) but not a single hair cut.  Unfortunately, both ends of my head stop at about the 8-inch mark so it's a pretty poor hippie I would make.  Best I can do is get mistaken by young kids for Santa Claus until I start scowling at them and pull out my pocket notebook labled "Bad Boys and Girls".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »
Let me know when you get to 40+.  I started three days before the end of my involuntary extension of enlistment.  Had even finagled a no-shave chit from a sympathetic corpsman, in keeping with my policy of bending every regulation known to the Men's Department of the US Navy.

I'm currently working on 5 years with no trimming of head nor beard.  Daily pooing (sham or real as the notion strikes me) but not a single hair cut.  Unfortunately, both ends of my head stop at about the 8-inch mark so it's a pretty poor hippie I would make.  Best I can do is get mistaken by young kids for Santa Claus until I start scowling at them and pull out my pocket notebook labled "Bad Boys and Girls".

stay safe.

???

I thought the Navy allowed beards. Well, trimmed regulated beards, but still naval tradition and all that jazz.

I'm pretty sure my real father had a beard during his entire enlistment (at least, i know he did when he was with my mom, and I have photgraphic evidance)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »

That is all.

Almost 38 years for me (June, 1976).

I think I had a mustache then even ....  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »
Going on 4 years here.

Yes I'm a piker.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
???

I thought the Navy allowed beards. Well, trimmed regulated beards, but still naval tradition and all that jazz.

I'm pretty sure my real father had a beard during his entire enlistment (at least, i know he did when he was with my mom, and I have photgraphic evidance)

Lost that in the early '80s. '84 I think Navy wide. We got a new CO in late '83 and he nixed beards about a year ahead of the rest of the Navy.

I stopped shaving when I got out of the Navy in '92 but I took a job a year later that required shaving to keep the kids fed and the rent paid.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
Lost that in the early '80s. '84 I think Navy wide. We got a new CO in late '83 and he nixed beards about a year ahead of the rest of the Navy.

I stopped shaving when I got out of the Navy in '92 but I took a job a year later that required shaving to keep the kids fed and the rent paid.

Oh, well that explains it. I was born in '84 and both my mother and father were out the year before that.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »

That is all.

Shrug.   Since 1975.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 06:34:03 PM »
???

Like Jamis, I was in the Men's Department of the Navy.

Beards, even in combat, were verboten.  Getting a no-shave chit required two acts of G*d and approval from just under the Commondant.  I got mine just by asking - could have gotten it a week earlier but would then had to have it laminated and hang it around my neck for everybody who would stop me to inquire where I had lost my razor.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »
Like Jamis, I was in the Men's Department of the Navy.

???

I thought Jamis was in the Munchkin Department?

:rofl:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
Shrug.   Since 1975.

in 1975 I had a pretty good mustache for a 13 year old.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »
Working on 2 days here.   =)
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »
Working on 2 days here.   =)

I have faith in you.

Just remember - "Day by day.  Inch by inch."

stay safe.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 11:21:59 AM »
Every weekend and any time I take leave, no blade touches my face.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic