Author Topic: The sky is falling! THe sky is falling! Maybe.  (Read 2332 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
The sky is falling! THe sky is falling! Maybe.
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »
A dozen bison trotting down a road in Yellowstone spark a panic

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/04/do-fleeing-bison-predict-a-yellowstone-eruption/20863057/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D461262

Scientists say you shouldn't worry about a massive volcanic eruption at Yellowstone National Park after a recently posted YouTube video got some people fearing The worst.

It happened after this video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiexHmbJlp4#t=32  of bison running down the street at Yellowstone was posted online. Many started speculating the bison were running away from the park's supervolcano - ultimately predicting a massive eruption.

The original YouTube video has gotten more than 130,000 views, but another account reposted it. That version, with the caption "buffalo running for their lives," has gone viral with more than a million views in the past two weeks.

The local TV station points out that the sky probably will not fall:
The Los Angeles Times notes the theory that the bison were running away from danger gained more momentum after a 4.8 magnitude earthquake hit Yellowstone on Sunday.

KMSP points out it was the park's largest earthquake in nearly 40 years. Still, scientists say there isn't much to worry about, especially since the supervolcano hasn't erupted in more than 600,000 years.

A dozen bison and the sky is falling?  Where were all the other animals that should have been fleeing the danger zone?

The problem is not just that these people vote and breed, but that their spawn are going to vote and bred too.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: The sky is falling! THe sky is falling! Maybe.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 05:13:14 PM »
The ghost of Gus MacRae was chasing them  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »
Aren't the elk leaving the north end of park as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
That's one of those events you can't really do much about anyway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
There is some  unusual movement in the park of herds, but some of the photos of bison etc. are actually moving deeper into the caldera and the interior of the park etc.

Probably more just the hard winter, the longish wait for spring etc. maybe some more unusual movement due to the wolf reintroduction... (shrug)

I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
There is some  unusual movement in the park of herds, but some of the photos of bison etc. are actually moving deeper into the caldera and the interior of the park etc.

Probably more just the hard winter, the longish wait for spring etc. maybe some more unusual movement due to the wolf reintroduction... (shrug)

And GLOBAL WARMING!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
All of the reports of unusual movement I have seen are trumped up scaremongering with no proof attached. I'm not super worried.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »

I heard the mule deer were moving in, driving down property values, and changing the character of the neighborhood.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »
I heard the mule deer were moving in, driving down property values, and changing the character of the neighborhood.
Racist.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:03:20 PM »
I saw something on Facebook about it, and it originated from "Coast to Coast" AM. I'll be skeptical about that one.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 08:29:47 AM »
I saw something on Facebook about it, and it originated from "Coast to Coast" AM. I'll be skeptical about that one.

Bunch of nut cases right there, alright.

Sent from my iPhone
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 08:34:54 AM »
part of the zomg is related to the recent earthquake in the park  and the discovery of the true size of the magma chamber.  if it goes boom it will make the population change.  zero it in one state
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
I am super cereal, it's manbearpig.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »
part of the zomg is related to the recent earthquake in the park  and the discovery of the true size of the magma chamber.  if it goes boom it will make the population change.  zero it in one state
Yeah, while the report may be totally tin foil, the underlying danger is no joke.

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 09:03:33 AM »
yea  it goes boom global warming is history

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »

More than one state.  I've read total near immediate fatalities in 500 mile radius.

We're about 150 miles out  ;/

We might miss the pyroclastic flows down the Yellowstone valley, then to be buried in yards of ash.  But the first couple deep breaths of that stuff and you are pretty much done.  It's like breathing tiny razor blades.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
Re:
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »
Yea. One study said ash 10 foot deep out to 1000 miles. The 500 miles was equated with the area where all the trees are laid down pointed out from the center like the meteor hit in Russia.  If its as bad as some claim going right away might be preferable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »
Not a whole lot we can do about it.

What would be necessary, to live in an underground bunker with 5+ years worth of everything needed, including a source of electric power?  Unpossible.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re:
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
yea  it goes boom global warming is history

This. I can only get so worried about our killing the Earf, when the Earf is never more than a breath away from killing us.

And she has no plans to stop.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
"The Road", a movie I really liked, but wouldn't want to live.

I'd just as soon live in the kill zone and get it over with.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
Too bad the bison were running INTO the park.  The guy that recorded the video has worked at the park for years and said it was something of an annual tradition.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.