Author Topic: The "Oh Crap!" App  (Read 2133 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The "Oh Crap!" App
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
After I read this article, I thought this app could have real potential if applied to more areas than drunk driving (which philosophically I disagree with, but everyone has the right to representation).

The idea of legally recording (based on GPS location) and an "on call" attorney really seems to, if well implemented, have potential. I don't know how many folks here actually "have an attorney" to the point that you can call and get them 24 hours a day. I don't. The best I have is the Calguns Foundation hotline number, which is only good for firearms related incidents. The idea though, of having a "realtime" legal app that can hook you up based on location and local laws appeals to me in the same way having a gun and fire extinguisher do.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/04/05/oh-crap-app-preventing-or-promoting-drunk-driving/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: The "Oh Crap!" App
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:40:18 PM »
I am disappointed. I thought it would be an app dedicated to locating and rating public toliets.

Now, that would be useful.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »
I guess there's some lawerly logic at work here. You would think they'd start with a more sympathetic class of defendants. Or maybe it's just a very numerous class of defendants.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:18:49 PM »
I guess there's some lawerly logic at work here. You would think they'd start with a more sympathetic class of defendants. Or maybe it's just a very numerous class of defendants.

Agreed on the first part, and you're likely correct on the second part.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »
I am disappointed. I thought it would be an app dedicated to locating and rating public toliets.

Now, that would be useful.

Trust the wimmins to think of that.  It's less of a problem for guys...
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »
Trust the wimmins to think of that.  It's less of a problem for guys...

Oh, please.

Say you're on the road and the gas station nacho's you picked up a few miles back are hitting you hard. Wouldn't you rather have an app that points out the closest bathrooms and rates them according to cleanliness, then take the luck of the draw and spend many uncomfortable moments in a disgusting *expletive deleted*it hole ?

And, fyi, the above senerio is totally a guy thing. Wimmins have more sense then to eat dubious foods from gas stations.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
Oh, please.

Say you're on the road and the gas station nacho's you picked up a few miles back are hitting you hard. Wouldn't you rather have an app that points out the closest bathrooms and rates them according to cleanliness, then take the luck of the draw and spend many uncomfortable moments in a disgusting *expletive deleted* hole ?

And, fyi, the above senerio is totally a guy thing. Wimmins have more sense then to eat dubious foods from gas stations.

BTDT. One bush is as good as the next. A restroom is not really mandatory. Like he said, less of a problem for the guys.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »
BTDT. One bush is as good as the next. A restroom is not really mandatory. Like he said, less of a problem for the guys.

The bushes are not very tall across most of Wyoming  =(

And then again, these days you might need a lawyer if someone sees you crapping behind a bush.

(oh, the memories of logging camp at -20 and two feet of snow....)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »
The bushes are not very tall across most of Wyoming  =(

And then again, these days you might need a lawyer if someone sees you crapping behind a bush.

(oh, the memories of logging camp at -20 and two feet of snow....)

"Freezes before it hits the ground.  Heck, I was there."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: The "Oh Crap!" App
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
I share bsls sentiments. 

Especially regarding the cleanliness rating.  When you have small kiddos with rumbles from below a clean restroom is a gift from above.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »
Oh, please.

Say you're on the road and the gas station nacho's you picked up a few miles back are hitting you hard. Wouldn't you rather have an app that points out the closest bathrooms and rates them according to cleanliness, then take the luck of the draw and spend many uncomfortable moments in a disgusting *expletive deleted* hole ?

I think he's saying, we can and do go anywhere.

I have, in the past, dug a cathole 100m off the road versus waiting 50 miles for the next station
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »
Oh, please.

Show me a restroom that stays in relatively the same state of cleanliness over time.  Or one that you can get management to bring back to even second-world standards within a reasonable period of time.

Back when the restrooms at the old Va State Fair location had attendants there was a vast spread of "cleanliness" from one to the other, and even from hour to hour at the same locatio.  The only thing I knew the "attendants" were there for was to stare you out of a dime for a second sheet of instant-dissolve paper towel.

When I was doing a fair bit of traveling via interstates I looked for 24-hour restaurants associated with motels.  Best chance of finding a clean(ish) restroom.  Depending on the facility some truck stops were gold-plated palaces, while others were plated with something else.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »
I have not put this one to the test for my self, but from a sales person friend.
Barnes and nobles and other book store chains have nice bathrooms.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 05:54:44 PM »
Show me a restroom that stays in relatively the same state of cleanliness over time.  Or one that you can get management to bring back to even second-world standards within a reasonable period of time.

Back when the restrooms at the old Va State Fair location had attendants there was a vast spread of "cleanliness" from one to the other, and even from hour to hour at the same locatio.  The only thing I knew the "attendants" were there for was to stare you out of a dime for a second sheet of instant-dissolve paper towel.

When I was doing a fair bit of traveling via interstates I looked for 24-hour restaurants associated with motels.  Best chance of finding a clean(ish) restroom.  Depending on the facility some truck stops were gold-plated palaces, while others were plated with something else.

stay safe.

Sorry I brought it up.

Yes, actually, it doesn’t sound like a bad idea.  Ad supported, GPS enabled, free Android and iphone app, user rated publicly accessible john rating service.

Where I am and where I'm headed right now, within 1/2 hour's travel, rated 1 to 5, uhh, "stars".

It could work.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 06:05:44 PM »
What we really need is an app to warn us of restrooms with no paper towels; only blow-dryers.

The one nearest me, though in a very swanky neighborhood, is usually not that clean.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 06:53:06 PM »
I have not put this one to the test for my self, but from a sales person friend.

I have also found the local B&N bathrooms to be respectible.

Weirdly enough, the local Walmart is also pretty squeeky clean. ???

Skid, some places really do better then others.
Oh sure, occasionally, even the most swanky of public bathrooms gets hit by a disgusting person, but, as far as a standard averages go, some toliets really are better then others.

... As are some check out lanes...

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »

I think he's saying, we can and do go anywhere.

I have, in the past, dug a cathole 100m off the road versus waiting 50 miles for the next station

Just because you can, doesn't mean it's pleasent.

I can also *expletive deleted*it in the wilds. Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have a tempeture controled room with modern plumbing and plenty of toliet paper.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 07:03:25 PM »

Weirdly enough, the local Walmart is also pretty squeeky clean. ???

My Dad pure, straight hates Wal-Mart. But they are his preferred restroom stop, due to their general cleanliness.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 04:49:59 AM »
I hate to get back on topic, but I downloaded this app, and the first thing they want is way too much personal info. deleted.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 05:09:47 AM »

I can also *expletive deleted* in the wilds. Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have a tempeture controled room with modern plumbing and plenty of toliet paper.

I always keep an emergency stash of TP. A roll in every vehicle and 2 rolls stashed in the gun safe*.

*I fairly certain that despite numerous training sessions and written instructions my wife is incapable of opening the safe.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »
I always keep an emergency stash of TP. A roll in every vehicle and 2 rolls stashed in the gun safe*.

*I fairly certain that despite numerous training sessions and written instructions my wife is incapable of opening the safe.

I think I have mentioned before that my plan to survive TEOTWAWKI involves bartering TP.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
Thread veer...

Never been in the loo at even an upscale Mexican restaurant that seemed clean.
Never been in the dunny of even a modest Chinese restaurant that wasn't up to high standards of cleanliness.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 08:36:31 PM »
I think I have mentioned before that my plan to survive TEOTWAWKI involves bartering TP.

stay safe.

On my last deployment my division was annoyed with me when I had my parts guy order extra and made every man bag and stash 5 rolls of TP.
The boat ran out of TP 2 days before we made our first port after 89 days submerged, to be a little fair we had gotten extended on station for 2 weeks and a significant portion of the ships supply had been soaked with hydraulic oil due to a small leak that went undetected for most of a day.
My guys still had a supply and there was some personal profit made.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 11:47:22 PM »

I can also *expletive deleted* in the wilds. Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have a tempeture controled room with modern plumbing and plenty of toliet paper.

Right. Hence the statement that you originally responded too... that men tend to care less about such things.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 12:14:18 AM »
On my last deployment my division was annoyed with me when I had my parts guy order extra and made every man bag and stash 5 rolls of TP.
The boat ran out of TP 2 days before we made our first port after 89 days submerged, to be a little fair we had gotten extended on station for 2 weeks and a significant portion of the ships supply had been soaked with hydraulic oil due to a small leak that went undetected for most of a day.
My guys still had a supply and there was some personal profit made.

I knew a guy who kept an extra roll in his rack, came in handy a few times when we got a little low.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic