Author Topic: LAPD officers monkey-wrenched cop-monitoring gear in patrol cars  (Read 5454 times)

JN01

• friend
Re: LAPD officers monkey-wrenched cop-monitoring gear in patrol cars
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 07:38:12 PM »
I find it interesting how sharply rates of use of force drop when the cops are on camera. It's almost like they were using unjustified force before, and stop when they know they'll be held accountable...

You're probably right, but another possibility might be that the camera makes them overly cautious.

As an example, let's say that as a legally armed citizen you are required to use a video recorder for any potential deadly force encounter.  Knowing that your actions will be second-guessed later by people who are not experiencing the physical/psychological components of the situation, would that perhaps make you pause before acting?  Of course, cops experience use of force situations more frequently, and may have more training in handling them then the average person, but they aren't necessarily immune to doubts either.

There is, of course, no excuse for them destroying their equipment.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 07:59:31 PM »
seems its just to take the signal from camera and record it in car
My mistake, I misread. Then it is similar to the system they use here and I have no idea why they would want to break it off. If they wanted to beat the system they could turn their mic off or just leave it in the charger in the car.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »
Odd that all areas aren't making same move too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »
You're probably right, but another possibility might be that the camera makes them overly cautious.

Personally, I'd rather have them err on the side of not infringing the rights of citizens in the name of "officer safety."  You want safe, get a finance degree, not CJ.

• friends
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
i was thinking knowing they are on camera makes the folk with no badge cautious too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
i was thinking knowing they are on camera makes the folk with no badge cautious too
I call that a win-win.  Fewer leos abusing folks and fewer folks trying to win the stupidity jackpot by assaulting leos.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 12:29:06 AM »
Who will watch the watchers?

Local (Dallas) TV station did a report on some folks who're following the LEO around, filming & taking still pic's of interactions with the general public.

LEO don't like it.  Chief said that someone's likely to get hurt, 'cause the cops don't know who is pulling up during the interaction - it might be someone involved in the on-going kidnapping.

The forward-facing cameras need to be enhanced, to where they get at least a 180* view.  I recently received a dash cam video (via a FIFO request), most of the interaction took place off-camera.  The audio was garbled, probably 80% was understandable.  Hard to make a decision based on evidence like that.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
The forward-facing cameras need to be enhanced, to where they get at least a 180* view.

Considering the amount of crap already on top of the cars, I just can't see a StreetView type camera with full 360 view being a real problem, aerodynamically or otherwise.

I recently received a dash cam video (via a FIFO request), most of the interaction took place off-camera.  The audio was garbled, probably 80% was understandable.  Hard to make a decision based on evidence like that.

Not sure what format they're using, but I can't imagine it would be that hard to take advantage of 2-5 audio channels for separate mics in various locations, including a body mic.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »

As an example, let's say that as a legally armed citizen you are required to use a video recorder for any potential deadly force encounter.  Knowing that your actions will be second-guessed later by people who are not experiencing the physical/psychological components of the situation, would that perhaps make you pause before acting?  Of course, cops experience use of force situations more frequently, and may have more training in handling them then the average person, but they aren't necessarily immune to doubts either.

There is, of course, no excuse for them destroying their equipment.
Well, they are already standardizing on rear view cameras for backing up.  Why not install those 4 or 5 of those around the car and have them looped through a recorder that keeps the last hour or so of video.  Authorities then have video of the time preceding a car wreck.  It would be external only.  The car speed and other data could be added over the top of the video. 

People already set up cameras when dealing with cops.  How about having that built in standard.  As long as I know it is there I can work with it.  One of the things I don't like about my truck is I can't access the rear view camera without putting the truck in reverse.  With LCD and LED screens getting cheaper, I can see all sorts of things getting added to cars over the next decade or more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »

With all the crap the average cop has on their kit, how would a civilian know who has a camera?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
Its usually publicized. O
Its seen as good pr

Sheriffs dept here the cops bought their own dash cams in the beginning. It really ups the conviction rate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD