Author Topic: This could get Interesting  (Read 53982 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
This could get Interesting
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:54:54 AM »
Rancher in Nevada has a long running dispute with the BLM over grazing rights and the desert tortoise.
BLM getting all jack bootyish.
Locals getting annoyed about it.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=1070&sid=29387272&fm=most_popular

http://www.infowars.com/feds-assault-cancer-victim-pregnant-woman-in-clash-with-bundy-supporters/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: This could get Interesting
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 07:56:18 AM »
Seriously, infowars???

Do some research before thinking this guy's a good guy.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:59:10 AM »
Seriously, infowars???

Do some research before thinking this guy's a good guy.

Not the only *expletive deleted*ing source I posted.
Nor did I take any stand on they guy being good or bad.
I just said it could get interesting.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »
I've been keeping up with it from what Fox News has been reporting. It looks like there's a bigger backstory, and so far I'm not really impressed with the rancher's reasoning.

On the other hand, the fed.gov is going WAY overboard on this, and I agree that the freakin' tac teams surrounding the place will lead to a bad end unless someone in (greater) authority steps in. Also, I saw in one story that the gov had spent nearly $1 million to round up, so far, around 100 cattle. They coulda got some rancher's kid on an ATV to do that for 50 bucks a cow.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »
There definitely is the larger issue of why the fed.gov should own all this land in the first place... but barring that, the rancher's argument seems to be a variant of of the people on this board, and others who have to deal with hikers/campers/bums/ATV'ers/hunters trespassing on their land because of the "It's just empty woods! And I did it before!"-argument.

I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »
Rancher in Nevada has a long running dispute with the BLM over grazing rights and the desert tortoise.
BLM getting all jack bootyish.
Locals getting annoyed about it.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=1070&sid=29387272&fm=most_popular
This could get Interesting

Ayup.  This particular rancher's backstory notwithstanding, lotsa people in flyover country have had it with the BLM.  Heavy handed tactics, arbitrary decisions, questionable regulations, agents with a God complex, etc..  Unfortunately I can see this easily getting completely out of hand.  Only this time it won't be a single family home/religious compound, it will be the Fed.gov against an entire community of very pissed-off farmers, ranchers, and landowners.  If that happens it will jump past interesting right to "oh crap...".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:11:11 PM »
I've been keeping up with it from what Fox News has been reporting. It looks like there's a bigger backstory, and so far I'm not really impressed with the rancher's reasoning.

On the other hand, the fed.gov is going WAY overboard on this, and I agree that the freakin' tac teams surrounding the place will lead to a bad end unless someone in (greater) authority steps in. Also, I saw in one story that the gov had spent nearly $1 million to round up, so far, around 100 cattle. They coulda got some rancher's kid on an ATV to do that for 50 bucks a cow.

There seems to be a controversy about his paying grazing fees.  Apparently there's local fees & then there's federal fees. There's disagreement about what he has or has not paid.
Also, there is a backstory about an endangered tortoise that precipitated all this .... except even the government is apparently killing them off as there seems to be an over-abundance of them, now.  Go figure.
And yet another aspect; this guy is the last rancher in the area, the govt. has "run off" the others, part of (alledgedly) the Agenda 21 program.  One doesn't need Alex Jones & Infowars for that, THAT is a very real program that threatens our property rights across America.
I wish good fortune and a true aim for all the responding militias; may you keep your powder dry.
This may get interesting.  Hopefully sane heads will prevail.
I had higher hopes of that happening under Clinton's regime than Obama's, however. 

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:49:40 PM »
There were allegations, I say again unsubstantiated rumor, in a discussion on FNC, that BLM had begun destroying confiscated cattle. Anyone have more light to shed?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: This could get Interesting
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »
The dudes no saint, and seems a might nutty. But that said, I have no faith of a reasonable and proportionate response. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »

A million dollars to round up ~$100K worth of cattle  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 01:19:56 PM »
A million dollars to round up ~$100K worth of cattle  ;/

Well, when you send in helos, top of the line NVGs and FLIR, and every other high tech toy, and put them in the hands of $100/hr gov contractors,  I reckon the costs add up quick.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 01:38:58 PM »
There were allegations, I say again unsubstantiated rumor, in a discussion on FNC, that BLM had begun destroying confiscated cattle. Anyone have more light to shed?

No, but if you can make it credible enough to get PETA involved (and by involved, I mean doing something that gets Fed guns pointed at them) I'll watch the videos with a smile.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »
Two groups of less than savory characters butting heads over tortoises, one of the groups being the fed.gov with lots of tacticool toys.  Yep, this won't end well.  Pretty much a given that somebody's going to end up at ambient temperature.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
Two groups of less than savory characters butting heads over tortoises, one of the groups being the fed.gov with lots of tacticool toys.  Yep, this won't end well.  Pretty much a given that somebody's going to end up at ambient temperature.

Hence my idea of sending PETA protestors to absorb the first volley.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 01:54:19 PM »
Two groups of less than savory characters butting heads over tortoises, one of the groups being the fed.gov with lots of tacticool toys.  Yep, this won't end well.  Pretty much a given that somebody's going to end up at or temporarily well above ambient temperature.

FTFY.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 02:34:38 PM »
And those bastards in Lexington and Concord.  How dare they defy the king and not turn in those cannon and powder.   ;) :angel:

Yeah, he may not be a white knight, in a white hat, on a white horse, but neither is the .gov, and given how he seems to have a lot of support from neighbors and others that have to deal with the BLM.   It might get damn sporty.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
Seems like the cell towers out there are having an issue....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 02:42:52 PM »
And those bastards in Lexington and Concord.  How dare they defy the king and not turn in those cannon and powder.   ;) :angel:

Yeah, he may not be a white knight, in a white hat, on a white horse, but neither is the .gov, and given how he seems to have a lot of support from neighbors and others that have to deal with the BLM.   It might get damn sporty.

Public held land to generate income goes all the way back to the Land Ordinance of 1785. Its not a new thing.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »
Ayup.  This particular rancher's backstory notwithstanding, lotsa people in flyover country have had it with the BLM.  Heavy handed tactics, arbitrary decisions, questionable regulations, agents with a God complex, etc..  Unfortunately I can see this easily getting completely out of hand.  Only this time it won't be a single family home/religious compound, it will be the Fed.gov against an entire community of very pissed-off farmers, ranchers, and landowners.  If that happens it will jump past interesting right to "oh crap...".

Brad

On a lot of BLM the ranchers have been getting off cheap for the AUM costs compared to what it really costs.

Here is a good argument on grazing vs recreation on public lands in regards to land usage.

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2013/08/15/blm-public-lands-grazing-accounts-for-only-0-41-of-nations-livestock-receipts/

Here is a buy the number on costs from a few years ago

http://www.publiclandsranching.org/htmlres/fs_buy_the_numbers.htm

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
WAIT....I thought you said the BUNNY Ranch.

Bundy Ranch? Cows?

*expletive deleted*ck that noise. What lousy reason to start a fight...
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
Don't mess with the tortoises.  Unless you want to build a gigantic solar power plant, then you can "relocate" them. http://ivanpahsolar.com/ivanpahs-first-translocated-tortoise

Don't mess with Bald Eagles.  Unless you want to build a wind farm, then it's OK to kill them for the next 30 years.  http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/6/obama-issues-permits-wind-farms-kill-more-eagles/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:31:56 PM by JN01 »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 04:37:32 PM »
So, on one hand you have a guy who allegedly owes a million bucks of back fees from using public land for personal profit and on the other, you have thugs in uniform. Uhm, pray for a meteorite? Seriously, the feds could have just gotten a court order, and put a lien on the guy's property. OTOH, dude could have not leached off public property without paying for it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/us/nevada-rancher-rangers-cattle-showdown/
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
So, on one hand you have a guy who allegedly owes a million bucks of back fees from using public land for personal profit and on the other, you have thugs in uniform. Uhm, pray for a meteorite? Seriously, the feds could have just gotten a court order, and put a lien on the guy's property. OTOH, dude could have not leached off public property without paying for it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/us/nevada-rancher-rangers-cattle-showdown/

Were you reading my mind?

Uranus is a gas giant.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 04:45:48 PM »
And now James Yeager is heading down there.  I'm sure he will be a moderating influence.