Author Topic: Erf Day  (Read 9700 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Erf Day
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 08:51:15 AM »
Is coming up.   22 April to be precise.  What are your plans for this year's celebration?
Well, the TRADITIONAL way to celebrate Earth Day is to go to Washington D.C. and trash the national mall, leaving behind tons of filth, excrement, and random other garbage for SOMEONE ELSE to clean up.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 08:59:14 AM »
I roughly figured 160 lb is about five minutes of flight time.  So pick five minutes up there and dedicate that to me.  Don't want to be hoggish about it.  Let others have a chance, too.

I was going to calc'late CO2 weight but said the hell with it.  Too many variables, too many assumptions have to be made.

Let's see, jet-A is a mix of C-8 to C-16 hydrocarbons, with 70% alliances and 25-30% aromatics, so let's say an average carbon number of 10, with 17 hydrogens, or a average molecular weight of about 140, when burned, that yields 9 Co2 molecules, with a molecular weight of 440, so to make the math easier, just assume its about a factor of 3 between mass of co2 and mass of jet-A.

Annoying footnote, the Raytheon travel system gives you the per passenger estimated co2 production for your flights when selecting travel options. :/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 10:12:48 AM »
Well, it's a work day, so pretty much what I do every day to drive the office hippies bonkers. Throw recyclables in the trash, drink out of plastic water bottles, eat meat, etc.

My grand finale act of defiance before I retire next month is that I ordered the office an F-350 to replace a puny Silverado 1500. Coincidentally, I made the pick up appointment at the GSA facility in LA on 22APR. So I'll be polluting on the drive there and back, then driving it up to our loading doors where there's a "turn engine off" sign and revving for a while. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
I'm accelerating a golf ball to 99.9995% c.  That's how Bridman does {insert planet name}-day.

Just point the accelerator some other direction than down. Or, I guess, at another body in this solar system.

I'm driving 200 miles to a power plant in PA on Erf Day. I just had my catalytic converter replaced - seems my model/year vehicle was prone to shedding pieces and blocking exhaust flow, etc. Happened to me, I ended up with an average of about 30HP at the wheels until I could get in to the dealer (Granted, it's a base-level Subaru 2.5L engine, but that's still ~1/4 of what should be going to the wheels). Warranty fix, but I also needed ~$750 of non-warranty stuff. Net result, my gas mileage went up. I guess that's good, but hardly in keeping with the APS Erf Day Theme.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
Just point the accelerator some other direction than down. Or, I guess, at another body in this solar system.

I'm driving 200 miles to a power plant in PA on Erf Day. I just had my catalytic converter replaced - seems my model/year vehicle was prone to shedding pieces and blocking exhaust flow, etc. Happened to me, I ended up with an average of about 30HP at the wheels until I could get in to the dealer (Granted, it's a base-level Subaru 2.5L engine, but that's still ~1/4 of what should be going to the wheels). Warranty fix, but I also needed ~$750 of non-warranty stuff. Net result, my gas mileage went up. I guess that's good, but hardly in keeping with the APS Erf Day Theme.

My catalytic convertor is completely missing...previous owner had it taken out. Unfortunately, PO also replaced the stock stainless steel exhaust system with a cheap ass Flowmaster so it's rusted out and I need to replace it because now that the muffler is not so muffling it is a little too loud (especially for long trips)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »

Come on, its only a relative yield of 24 megatons.  Sheesh.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:59 AM »
Come on, its only a relative yield of 24 megatons.  Sheesh.

Was feeling lazy and didn't want to do the math.

Okay, feel free to point it straight down, if you'd like.  =D

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »
I roughly figured 160 lb is about five minutes of flight time.  So pick five minutes up there and dedicate that to me.  Don't want to be hoggish about it.  Let others have a chance, too.

I was going to calc'late CO2 weight but said the hell with it.  Too many variables, too many assumptions have to be made.

83lbs/minute. I'll throw in the extra three minutes just for you.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »

Annoying footnote, the Raytheon travel system gives you the per passenger estimated co2 production for your flights when selecting travel options. :/

A convenient way to pick your flight as to aid all those freezing souls on the east coast. (If co2 were to actually have any effect)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »
Well, the TRADITIONAL way to celebrate Earth Day is to go to Washington D.C. and trash the national mall, leaving behind tons of filth, excrement, and random other garbage for SOMEONE ELSE to clean up.

I think the current situation in America might be an ongoing conspiracy to continually exacerbate the Tea Party into protesting, and thus getting several parks and public squares cleaned for free...  =|
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
birdman;
Let's see, jet-A is a mix of C-8 to C-16 hydrocarbons, with 70% alliances and 25-30% aromatics, so let's say an average carbon number of 10, with 17 hydrogens, or a average molecular weight of about 140, when burned, that yields 9 Co2 molecules, with a molecular weight of 440, so to make the math easier, just assume its about a factor of 3 between mass of co2 and mass of jet-A.

I estimated a three-hour flight by Fly320, with two engines.  Beyond that, the assumptions started piling up enough that I said the hell with it.  But that's a pretty good estimate, 3:1 !

(I got 396 instead of 440, for a 2.8:1 ratio --still, not bad ay-tall!.)

Main problem was the approximate composition of jet fuel.  Mucho danke!

Fly 320:  
83lbs/minute. I'll throw in the extra three minutes just for you.
Wow!  8 minutes of CO2 production.  I shall remember your efforts on my behalf!

Let me know where this 8-minute burn occurred, so after Erf Day, I can point at the sky and say, "See that there carbon dioxide?  That's my carbon dioxide contribution up there!"  >:D

Terry

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:38:13 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »
birdman;
I estimated a three-hour flight by Fly320, with two engines.  Beyond that, the assumptions started piling up enough that I said the hell with it.  But that's a pretty good estimate, 3:1 !

(I got 396 instead of 440, for a 2.8:1 ratio --still, not bad ay-tall!.)

Main problem was the approximate composition of jet fuel.  Mucho danke!

Fly 320:  Wow!  8 minutes of CO2 production.  I shall remember your efforts on my behalf!

Let me know where this 8-minute burn occurred, so after Erf Day, I can point at the sky and say, "See that there carbon dioxide?  That's my carbon dioxide contribution up there!"  >:D

Terry

Oops, my mistake, the burn is 10 co2 molecules, as the average carbon is 10 ish.  The 9 was a typo.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »
I'm going to exercise my lawn tractor, both snowblowers, my generator and my Cyclone Rake (TM).  Gotta run those critters now and then. [popcorn]

Saturday at high noon those of us who cling to our bibles and our guns are to discharge a firearm in solidarity with those who actually understand what the 2A means. [ar15]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
^Bless your heart!
I don't have that much hydrocarbon-powered stuff except a generator and a car.   So I think I'll light a couple of candles for Erf Day.  That ought to add to my CO2 contributions, no?  And soooooo appropriate. :D

That, plus the eight-minute jet fuel burn by Fly320, ought to be enough to honor Erf Day in my small way.

I feel so warm and good and noble and cuddly inside.  Sigh.  <pats own back>

Terry, 230RN

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
I sat idling for a little more than an hour today in front of the tres chic meat pies shop on Church Hill, where I picked up a six-pack of non-recyclable glass bottles (Blenheim's Ginger Ale) as well as pies for the next several days that will require our local coal-fired electricity generator to work overtime so I can run my microwave reheating them little pies (delicious even if tres chic).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »
Blenheim's Ginger Ale

Saw that in a store here for the first time. How is it? I prefer real ginger ale to the Canady Dry and Schweppes crap that you commonly find in the real grocery store...unfortunately most of the grocery stores down here don't carry anything else...the hoity toity Whole Foods type places do but I don't have one in my hometown.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »
Northern neck ginger ale for the win

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »
230RN, happy Erf Day in advance.  I'm not working then, so I burned some extra gas today, just for you.  Nearly 100lbs/min.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
230RN, happy Erf Day in advance.  I'm not working then, so I burned some extra gas today, just for you.  Nearly 100lbs/min.

You should have stayed at a lower altitude to burn more...

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2014, 05:06:00 AM »
You should have stayed at a lower altitude to burn more...

Bumpy lower. I wasn't that motivated to burn more. Maybe today.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2014, 09:18:48 AM »

No one else noticed there is a creepy purple guy in the corner of the photo?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Saw that in a store here for the first time. How is it? I prefer real ginger ale to the Canady Dry and Schweppes crap that you commonly find in the real grocery store...unfortunately most of the grocery stores down here don't carry anything else...the hoity toity Whole Foods type places do but I don't have one in my hometown.

It's good, but overpriced for regular consumption.  Hot ginger as opposed to some of the Jamacian ginger beers which are more pungent than hot or sweet.

And yes, there are other good brands, but not at the tres chic meat pie shop.  I'll go to the yuppymarts every once in a while to pick up some if only to watch the reactions/responses to them seeing Santa with a cane and a FOAD attitude.  The mommies in yoga pants with the wee ones in the racing trike strollers are usually the most - I think "concerned" would be the appropriate word.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
Thank you, Fly320s !  I shall nominate you for the Noble Prize for your "Outstanding Contribution to Terry's Carbon Footprint !"

I remain,

Your humble Servant,

Terry, 230RN

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
I thought about burning some floppys or is it floppies? >:D [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2014, 06:10:06 PM »
Catching fishes.  Hopefully.