Author Topic: Fallen Hero Banner Project not upbeat enough for Seattle  (Read 1471 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Fallen Hero Banner Project not upbeat enough for Seattle
« on: April 19, 2014, 02:17:14 PM »
I personally find this despicable. We have the same event in Spokane, minus the Blue Angels, etc and every year the families of the fallen carry pictures of them in the parade. It is a very sobering reminder of the sacrifices of both the fallen and their families. Bunch of liberal asswipes in Seattle. If it wasn't for military participation, their SeaFair would be a shadow of what it is now.

The email, as reported by a local news person on his facebook page:

" From: KIM COLE [mailto:mkc1220@msn.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:42 AM
To: Alex Rozier
Subject: FW: Fallen Hero Banner Project

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:14:35 -0700
Subject: Fallen Hero Banner Project
To: mkc1220@msn.com; djn@djnlawoffice.com
CC: corning@seafair.com; knox@seafair.com

Kim and Daniel ~

Your email regarding an application for the Fallen Hero Banner Project was forwarded to me.

I regret the delayed reply, however, we had a similar inquiry several weeks ago. Aware of your Project’s high level of interest, the Parade Selection Committee wanted to give it utmost consideration.

While it may go without saying, it is important for me to mention that Seafair -- and those of us that work under the Seafair umbrella — has a strong connection to the military, and supports this partnership year-round. There is a military component to every Seafair event and suffice to say, our biggest events are indeed, big, in no small part due to the participation and support from our friends in the military.

We also have a great respect for your mission and honor the efforts of your organization to memorialize those military heroes we have lost and keep their lives front of mind. The banner images are a somber and sobering reminder to all of us here at home of what has been sacrificed.

And to that point, the Parade Selection Committee felt that the Fallen Hero Banner Project was not the right fit for the Torchlight Parade. Seafair and the Torchlight Parade celebrate summer, and our mission is to entertain spectators with high energy, vibrant colors and upbeat music. If another opportunity arises that we believe would be conducive to showcasing the Fallen Hero Banner Project, we will certainly bring it to your attention.

Thank you again for your interest, and for your commitment to honoring our Fallen Heroes.

Respectfully ~

Sherry Fadely
Seafair | Event Producer

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Fallen Hero Banner Project not upbeat enough for Seattle
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »
Let me guess, it's on Memorial Day?
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »
Let me guess, it's on Memorial Day?

Thankfully it is in July, but I am sure the response would have been the same if it were on Memorial Day, just a hunch.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 02:54:54 PM »
http://www.seafair.com/AnEvent.aspx?ID=8

Here's the site.  I can't halp but notice that it's actually called the "Alaska Airlines SeaFair Torchlight Parade".  There's no guarantee  But I'm familiar with AA's culture (My dad has worked there for almost 20 yrs) and folks in Alaska generally. (I know the airline is based in Seattle). All that to say, I would forward that email to Alaska Airlines Public Relations and ask if that's their stance as well.  They're pretty military friendly.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
I'm all for honoring the fallen, but I'm not sure a parade known for pirates, naked bike riders, and general drunken debauchery is the most appropriate venue. 
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:13:03 PM »
^^^

Maybe that is what they should tell them, rather than insinuating they don't want them there because of the "debby downer" aspect of their participation.

But then, that would be like saying the description they like to use is false.

This magnificent parade will include giant helium balloons, precision drill teams representing local communities, equestrian units, comical clowns, swashbuckling pirates and heart-pounding bands playing all your favorite tunes.

Now in its 65th year the Torchlight Parade offers something for everyone. Young and old will make their way to downtown Seattle early Saturday morning and stake a curbside seat along the two-and-a-half mile route hours before the 7:30 p.m. start.  Many people attend the parade to cheer on family members and friends. Still others attend the Torchlight Parade because it represents a civic celebration rich in tradition, one that instills a feeling of excitement with every drum beat. For one magical night, the city comes together in the heart of downtown to celebrate a variety of entertainment that makes the Alaska Airlines Seafair Torchlight Parade a truly special evening.

http://www.seafair.com/AnEvent.aspx?ID=8

I still think the "Parade Selection Committee" is a bunch of douchebags.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:00:28 PM »
I'm all for honoring the fallen, but I'm not sure a parade known for pirates, naked bike riders, and general drunken debauchery is the most appropriate venue. 

Actually, given most of the Soldiers I know, including a couple no longer with us, that's the perfect venue.