Author Topic: Pop Sci article on drug cartel communications.  (Read 2613 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Pop Sci article on drug cartel communications.
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Pop Sci article on drug cartel communications.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »
Regarding paying off cartels, how much in the way of political payoffs is happening now? 

The cartels have an interest in keeping the status quo.

we have various cartels. Those actually involved in moving contraband and their counterparts on the opposing side. The ones that sell equipment or the unions that represent personnel.  And they sll buy politicians

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »

I'm not surprised that the cartels finally learned about decentralized managed radio networks. It's a bit more complex than what the average HAM has. Over the air rekeys and frequency assignment is usually a pretty penny from Motorola. It's nothing new, but it's genius in the engineering.

We trained the Mexican special forces to hunt the cartels. Big surprise, they flipped. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all of the cartels now have SF advisers. The drug trade is very darwinian. The less fit members are killed or jailed in short order. They survive by becoming more sophisticated. As the article says, they can buy or bribe technicians to provide training to their own personnel. Worst case, they can just kidnap experts and dump their bodies after their usefulness has ended. Break up the radio network (easier said than done) and they'll move to softphones and/or VOIP.

There's only two long term options. Altering the Constitution to allow extremely draconian measures to be taken against US citizens who use the drugs, or legalization. 

Funny thing, when google does major data transfers (bear in mind, they own a lot of the fiber in connecting their data centers), they do it via fedex.

Let's face it, say you want to transfer a 100TB of data.
Well, using 2.5" 1TB flash drives at 300MB/s sustained write, it takes about an hour to transfer the data into the drives, and requires a hundred drives (a box about a cubic foot).
FedEx latest drop-off is roughly 7pm, and would get to the other coast at 0830, for a total elapsed time of 10.5 to 16hrs, so let's say its leaving google HQ, and its a 10.5hr round trip, for a total of 12hrs.
That's a AVERAGE bandwidth of 50Gbps, which is damn sporty or would suck up a big chunk of their leased lines. 
Total cost for for the shipment is <$300, or roughly $20,000/mo if you did it twice a day (I.e. Like saturating the equivalent BW).  50Gbps of bandwidth on a leased line would cost WAY more than that...typical for 95% billing would be $0.5-1/Mbps, or 35-50k/mo.
Additionally, let's say you want each days shipment to go to a different place...its now WAY cheaper due to setup and other aspects.

So sneaker net rules the day.  Period.

The old phrase is "never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon filled with backup tapes." It hasn't proven inaccuracy in fifty years.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
Those in that business often go old school.  It works.
The 24 hour rule is still pretty good unless you are a major player

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 02:20:46 AM »
Necroing this thread to drop in this TED talk on the cartels. 

I'm sure prohibition will win any day now.

I think it goes with the original post quite well.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.