Author Topic: It's The Planet of the Apes, I Tell You  (Read 917 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
It's The Planet of the Apes, I Tell You
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:28:46 PM »
Bonobo makes fire from scratch, toasts marsmallows, burns mouth.  (There's a video, too.)

Next thing you know they will be smelting metal and manufacturing weapons.

We're doomed!  Doomed, I say.

I suppose I ought to get in line to welcome our new simian overlords.

stay safe.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/21/ape-builds-fire-and-toasts-marshmallows-in-amazing-bbc-video/20872841/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D467268

Bonobo Kanzi Makes Campfires
***EXCLUSIVE*** DES MOINES, IA - NOVEMBER 11: Kanzi, 31, opens his backpack to get the tools needed to make fire on November 11, 2011 in Des Moines, Iowa. It was a pivotal moment in history that separated man from other primates. Over a million years ago humankind began to conquer its fear of fire and use it as a tool. But now one special ape - a 31-year-old bonobo chimpanzee called Kanzi at the Great Ape Trust in Des Moines, Iowa - is showing us just how close we really are. Astonishingly the male chimp's favourite things to do is make campfires. PHOTOGRAPH BY Laurentiu Garofeanu/ Barcroft USA /Barcoft Media via Getty Images

Kanzim a 31-year-old bonobo chimpanzee, is already well known for his remarkable abilities to read symbols and understand novel sentences. Now, he's demonstrating his intelligence by actually building a fire from scratch (well, almost). Once the fire is going, he gently pushes marshmallows onto a stick and chows down on the delicious snack.

"It was a pivotal moment in history that separated man from other primates," Barcroft explains in a photo caption. "Over a million years ago humankind began to conquer its fear of fire and use it as a tool. But now one special ape ... at the Great Ape Trust in Des Moines, Iowa - is showing us just how close we really are."

The only thing he has yet to master is the whole wait-a-second-before-the-treats-cool-down thing ... but then again, most humans could use a lesson in that, too.[.quote]
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: It's The Planet of the Apes, I Tell You
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
At the risk of getting this moved to politics...

Kanzim for President!
At least he's demonstrated he can actually do something.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:27:49 PM »
 :facepalm:  Monkeying around with primates never ends well....... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:34:20 AM »
:facepalm:  Monkeying around with primates never ends well....... [tinfoil]

and Iowa burns

unembiggenated that holy crap on a cracker sized picture. but big images of fire are supposed to be scary!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:37:57 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:46:23 AM »
Bonobo makes fire from scratch, toasts marsmallows, burns mouth.

Meh.  Monkey used a match.

Now, if he calls down fire from heaven, or builds a nuclear reactor from old smoke detectors and a microwave oven to toast his marshmallows, then we'll have something.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »
When the monkey can use Win8, I'll become a believer.  (On second thought, it seems like monkeys designed it so the concept might not be all that far-fetched...)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB