Author Topic: The Dishwasher: A Story of Tragedy and Success  (Read 1110 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The Dishwasher: A Story of Tragedy and Success
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:33 PM »
The first time the dishwarsher was leaking, the problem seemed to be a collection of soap scum and gunk getting in the way of it forming a proper seal. When I kinda-sorta cleaned off the gunk, and just managed to disturb it, it leaked worser. When I completely removed the gunk, it was water-tight for the next several months.

It started leaking again recently, and I tried cleaning it. But there wasn't much to clean, and the leak got worse again. I began to suspect the rubber seal that runs from side to side, and over the top. I thought perhaps it was too worn out, and no longer as springy as at first. So I applied the old maintenance monkey's trick of turning it over. Now the creased side faces in, and the flat side sticks out.

Nice and dry, now. Let's see how long that lasts.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
Re: The Dishwasher: A Story of Tragedy and Success
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:23:11 PM »
Was that a black foam gasket? I've done that a few times.

If you have anymore problems with it, check the lower spray arm to make sure it isn't plugged up or cracking at the seam.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »
Was that a black foam gasket? I've done that a few times.

If you have anymore problems with it, check the lower spray arm to make sure it isn't plugged up or cracking at the seam.

jim

Yup, the black foam. The upper arm is perma-clogged, with I-don't-know-what. Haven't checked the lower arm. Do you think the gasket and the clogging are connected?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »
If you can take your spray arms off, CLR (or the generic equivalent) can make them and you happy campers.  Biggest problem I had was finding something big enough to hold them laying flat so I did not need the ultra-humongous 5-gallon size.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:49:46 PM »
If you can take your spray arms off, CLR (or the generic equivalent) can make them and you happy campers.  Biggest problem I had was finding something big enough to hold them laying flat so I did not need the ultra-humongous 5-gallon size.

stay safe.

Put the spray arm and the "CLR" in a trash bag.  Squeeze out all the air, leaving just the arm and liquid.  Tie it off.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:42:57 AM »
Wow, what a moving tale.  I'm truly inspired. ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:43:42 AM »
I thought Fistful was married?  ???
I promise not to duck.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »
I thought Fistful was married?  ???

Apparently he got tired of doing the dishes by hand . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 05:33:17 PM »
My parents' dishwasher was getting really bad last year.  I set it for Super Scrub / Pots&Pans / Hot cycle.  I put LemiShine in the prewash cup and let-r-rip.  When it started to fill for the main wash cycle started I popped the door and filled it to the float with vinegar (almost two gallons) and another shot of LemiShine.  The difference was nothing short of miraculous.  Did stink up the house something fierce, though.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams