Author Topic: your password requirements are hurting your member signup  (Read 8918 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: your password requirements are hurting your member signup
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 11:32:26 PM »
I reset your password.  Six cap letters, seventy seven lower case, nine digits, and fifteen symbols.  Good luck.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 11:38:43 PM »
I reset your password.  Six cap letters, seventy seven lower case, nine digits, and fifteen symbols.  Good luck.

And Apple still said it wasn't secure enough.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:45 AM »
Yeah, we should change the password thing, so we can have hordes of members.

That would be awesome.

(not really)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 12:51:54 AM »
I bought this computer used, and never deleted the cookies from the original owner. I don't even belong to this forum, but I get logged in automatically. Now I'm a moderator. Go figure.

Why doesn't that surprise me?   :rofl:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 03:06:32 AM »
They lecture us on computer security all the time, but the more difficult you make the password requirements, the more people will just write them down defeating the purpose of beefed up security.

This.  When I worked security, it was always fairly easy to get access to the systems with the toughest password requirements.  All you had to do was pick the cubicle of someone with access and check the half dozen most common places to put a sticky note full of passwords.  On the rare occasion that fails, go into IT and start checking printouts taped to the backs of keyboards and undersides of drawers.  Systems that would accept pretty much any string of characters and not require more than one change per year were much tougher, since the users had their passwords memorized.

The truly priceless ones had KeePass or similar running on the computer, and the master password for it on a sticky note under the keyboard.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 05:07:09 AM »
And change your password every 90 days as well as get locked out and have to supply all of your PII over non-secure lines if you don't use a particular web application every 30 days. Gov't IT at its finest. Coming soon to a healthcare near you.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »
And heaven forbid you use any of the last fifty weird ass combos you had to think up
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 06:44:28 AM »
Should add I guess they made it too idiot proof.

Not enough, you made it in. :D

Chris

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
This.  When I worked security, it was always fairly easy to get access to the systems with the toughest password requirements.  All you had to do was pick the cubicle of someone with access and check the half dozen most common places to put a sticky note full of passwords.  On the rare occasion that fails, go into IT and start checking printouts taped to the backs of keyboards and undersides of drawers.  Systems that would accept pretty much any string of characters and not require more than one change per year were much tougher, since the users had their passwords memorized.

After one of those massive security flaps I faked out the IT floor person by posting a great big sign on the wall behind my monitor with the word "PASSWORDS" in big letters and a bunch of fake passwords to the individual components of what-I-was-doing.  You shoulda seen his "What the hell is that?" reaction.

Mild not-in-writing rebuke from my manager.  "Quit kidding around like that, Terry."

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:12:53 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »
Guy I used to work with kept his passwords in plain sight.  Only they didn't look like passwords.  He used innocuous notes and self-help phrases posted around his cubicle, stuff like "Mower service due on.." and "Acceptable Providers: Blah, Blah", or "Life is like a box of chocolates...".  Using a number/letter skipping convention he kept to himself, these innocent little nothings represented all his passwords.  I thought is was brilliant.  He didn't clue me in on it until well after we'd become close friends, and even then he didn't let on to what the secret formula was.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
^  Very clever.  Not unlike the code where two communicants have a copy of the same book and simply find the words they need in it and transmit pages, paragraphs, line numbers, and word numbers to send messages.

Thus,
173 2 7 4   means page 173, paragraph 2, line 7, word 4

and so on.  One can even select individual letters and punctuation from the text.

173 2 7 4 2 is the second letter in that word, thereby varying the length of the code set.

Message closes by sending the title of the next book to use --or a newspaper article or whatever.

Some initial in the clear FTF communication is needed to specify the first book or article or website or whatever.

"Pierre has a long moustache.  Pierre has a long moustache." :)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:13:45 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »
I bought this computer used, and never deleted the cookies from the original owner. I don't even belong to this forum, but I get logged in automatically. Now I'm a moderator. Go figure.

We always knew that you were walking in somebody else's moccassins  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »
I use patterns on the keyboard.

A r 4 space 34 + full

That isn't a password, it's the mnemonic that tells me EXACTLY what pattern, what keys and how many total characters there should be in the password for that system.

The phrase above?

18 total characters and covering all the big security requirements.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »
Using a number/letter skipping convention he kept to himself, these innocent little nothings represented all his passwords.

I used something similar for a while when we had several systems to deal with and it was considered a huge security violation to use the same password on any of them.  After a while, though, I figured out that their "tech" wasn't bright enough to compare the password files and find out if anyone was ignoring the rule.

Mostly, when I want something really secure, I go random and encrypt a copy to myself with my PGP key and long-but-very-well-committed-to-memory passphrase.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »
This.  When I worked security, it was always fairly easy to get access to the systems with the toughest password requirements.  All you had to do was pick the cubicle of someone with access and check the half dozen most common places to put a sticky note full of passwords.  On the rare occasion that fails, go into IT and start checking printouts taped to the backs of keyboards and undersides of drawers.  Systems that would accept pretty much any string of characters and not require more than one change per year were much tougher, since the users had their passwords memorized.

The truly priceless ones had KeePass or similar running on the computer, and the master password for it on a sticky note under the keyboard.

I think I just had an aneurysm. The KeePass one makes me want to weep. We use it. I told the other two persons that know the passphrase I will break their fingers if they ever write it down, on paper or electronically.

The paper thing is not so bad, but I tell users to keep the paper in their wallet. If they lose their wallet, add us to the list of folks to also notify. Password vault on their smartphone is even better, as we can remote wipe.

Also, think the OP is possibly gunkid?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »
Guy I used to work with kept his passwords in plain sight.  Only they didn't look like passwords.  He used innocuous notes and self-help phrases posted around his cubicle, stuff like "Mower service due on.." and "Acceptable Providers: Blah, Blah", or "Life is like a box of chocolates...".  Using a number/letter skipping convention he kept to himself, these innocent little nothings represented all his passwords.  I thought is was brilliant.  He didn't clue me in on it until well after we'd become close friends, and even then he didn't let on to what the secret formula was.

Brad
That sounds way too complicated.  We have to change out passwords quarterly I think.  I'd hate to revise that all the time. 

My favorite is to pick something I own and my password is something like Ford.f150.  That usually satisfies the capital letter and symbol requriement though I have come across one system that wouldn't accept a period as a symbol.  It also means my next several passwords will be Ford.f155 and so one until I get tired of it.  I usally try to vary something so it isn't too obvious.  Everyone knows what I drive so I wouldn't typically use that one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »
The paper thing is not so bad, but I tell users to keep the paper in their wallet. If they lose their wallet, add us to the list of folks to also notify. Password vault on their smartphone is even better, as we can remote wipe.

Heck, we had the ones that would text the password to their phone so they wouldn't lose it, then leave the phone (with no lock code) laying out on their desk over a long weekend.  They also ditched a bunch of PalmOS devices (fairly random assortment purchased over a couple of years, and replaced by smartphones as soon as they got a good deal) in various boxes just shoved aside, (I was told it was more or less an unwritten "if you want one, take one" arrangement, but very few people wanted them.  It was between the rise of the smartphone and the fall of eink reader prices, so the few takers were getting the B&W devices with decent battery life.) and in going through them to look for any good apps or extra charging cradles for my m130, I found at least a dozen password lists completely unsecured.

Also, think the OP is possibly gunkid?

Could be.  Seems relatively tame, though.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
That sounds way too complicated.  We have to change out passwords quarterly I think.  I'd hate to revise that all the time. 

It was actually one of the most uncomplicated systems I've ever seen used.  It was one system applied to any phrase, saying, or misc text string.  Could be anything from a bumper sticker to Beowulf, or anything in between.  And the phraseology source was hung in plain sight.  New motivational poster, new password.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:38:27 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
It was actually one of the most uncomplicated systems I've ever seen used.  It was one system applied to any phrase, saying, or misc text string.  Could be anything from a bumper sticker to Beowulf, or anything in between.  And the phraseology source was hung in plain sight.  New motivational poster, new password.

Back when I could ROT13 in my head at about half regular reading speed, I made a lot of passwords that way.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
I have a couple of passwords that are just sentences - sentences that I remember, but no one else would think of.

There is probably a limit to how many such sentences a person would remember correctly, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2014, 10:49:59 PM »
I must admit I have gotten jaded as the password requirements have gotten batshinola crazy. 

I think the most demanding thus far is 14+ characters, 2 upper case, 2 lower case, 1 numeric, and 1 special character  No periods or dashes or spaces for the spec char, though. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2014, 11:43:28 PM »
I must admit I have gotten jaded as the password requirements have gotten batshinola crazy. 

I think the most demanding thus far is 14+ characters, 2 upper case, 2 lower case, 1 numeric, and 1 special character  No periods or dashes or spaces for the spec char, though. 

Good Lord. Just turn on two factor ID already...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2014, 08:57:04 AM »
My password is always 4-6 key letters and numbers the first 4 letters of the website or business and a number or character sequence. The only parts that are different are the website name

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2014, 09:41:07 AM »
I guess the OP was so daunted by the password that he couldn't remember it once he posted.

I bet we'll never see him again.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.