Author Topic: APS has let me down  (Read 3976 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: APS has let me down
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »
So, what happened? Some old geezers trophy wife slept with someone? And there is racist remarks?

All I know is whatever happened resulted in some rantings and ravings on The Talk, which seemed a little more outraged then their normal rantings and ravings. IDK, I was holding a dog and avoiding the TV area since the elder boss was trying to convince the toddler to nap.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 04:21:24 AM »
First world white liberal problems. his archivist/whore is angry with wife cause wife named her as whore in court.  Old man is worried folks will think/know 30 some year younger "girlfriend" is putting horns on him with some black folks. Mostly hes worried about folks laughing at him. A legitimate concern .We are.  He runs his mouth the paid companion decides the way to "get even" is to take some recordings public. Of course she denies it.   I bet you hes still banging her

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 07:19:50 AM »
What is the bigger joke about all of this is the childish tantrums all of the players across the league are throwing.  Was the guy wrong to say what he did, meh, maybe, maybe not but I do know 99.9999% of the players in the league, just as everyone else in the world, are just as guilty as saying things just as similar or worse.  Just not all of them have been recorded.  Racism in this country against all races is just as if not more rampant than any other time in history.

My thought is the NBA will slap a huge fine on him, sponsors are bailing on him and eventually he maybe forced to sell but ask anyone player on his team right now if they would give up the paycheck he signs and see what their answer is.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 08:30:16 AM »
Do the robes and hoods get in the way of making the jump shot?

Sorry, I got 'nuthin.  =|

Crotchety older Democrat goes on racist rant, MSM conveniently ignores crotchety racist is a Democrat. What's next?

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-no-donald-sterling-20140428,0,6977964.column#axzz30HHKA1fI

Apparently, Mr. Sterling has been a registered Republican since 1998, according to California voting registration records. Not that it makes any difference to this event, in my view.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 03:45:13 PM »
Well the NBA reacted quickly...http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/04/29/clippers-owner-donald-sterling-banned-for-life-from-nba-fined-25-million-by-nba/

The NBA threw the book at LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling, banning him for life, fining him $2.5 million and raising the possibility of a forced sale of the team over racist remarks he made to an ex-girlfriend that surfaced on a tape recording
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 03:49:52 PM »
So this dude is telling his half black half mexican 'ho to not associate with black people...yet she can "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want."

In what world does this make a lick of sense...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »
wanna bet he fights it?
hes a tile crawler
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
So this dude is telling his half black half mexican 'ho to not associate with black people...yet she can "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want."

In what world does this make a lick of sense...

He's an old geezer with a hot young bimbo on his arm. You really think he's got any sense to begin with?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 04:02:52 PM »
I couldn't care less what this guy thinks, feels, or says.   And he's got every right to think it, feel it, or say it.  
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
I couldn't care less what this guy thinks, feels, or says.   And he's got every right to think it, feel it, or say it.  

And, in all fairness, the rest of the world does have the right to villify him for it. *shrug* to alter the old saying "say stupid *expletive deleted*it, win stupid prizes"

• friends
Re:
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 04:11:27 PM »
But do they have the right to take his team? 2.5 mill?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 04:16:33 PM »

Private orginization, right? Presumably he knew the bylaws and what not when he joined. To lose his team he's got to be voted out by his peers.

Again, that's the business of the NBA.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re:
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »

I guess so. Private .org/business, probably has a "morals clause" in the umpteen billion pages of boilerplate that define such relationships.

As far as the kerfluffle in the news-cycle, and among the talk programs setting the "national tone", I think the new order of "America's Most Wanted" is now this:

1. Spree killer with a semi-automatic firearm.
2. Child molester.
3. Racist*.
4. ...

*Note: "Racist" means: "Racist person of means or some significant social prominence, business leader, politician, actor, movie producer, musician, major league sports player etc. Regular poor people-racists like neo-Nazis or KKK members are bad too, but don't count nearly as much. Racist minorities don't count at all."

I promise not to duck.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
And, in all fairness, the rest of the world does have the right to villify him for it. *shrug* to alter the old saying "say stupid *expletive deleted*, win stupid prizes"

Of course that's their right.  And those that disagree with him have no more right to their opinion than he.

I don't think so.  If he was officially representing the NBA at the time he made the remarks, maybe.  As I understand it the remarks were made in private conversation.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

• friends
Re:
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
I think silver will have a hard time with the "force him out". There should be lots of team owners very nervous.  Sterlings not the only guy like that nor the worst. The thought police have arrived. Just 30 years late

• friends
Re:
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »
A private conversation illegally released

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
Of course that's their right.  And those that disagree with him have no more right to their opinion than he.

I don't think so.  If he was officially representing the NBA at the time he made the remarks, maybe.  As I understand it the remarks were made in private conversation.

I agree with AJ, probably a morals clause in the ownership agreement.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 04:35:04 PM »
I bet they use that morals clause they could really thin the herd.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
Apparently they can ban him from all NBA activity, and that seems to include any and all team functions on and off team property.

What they cannot seem to do is take away his ownership of the team franchise.

But the NBA does not need to do that.  When enough (all?) sponsors have abandoned him he either runs the franchise into the ground and then files for bankruptcy or sells it.  There's a very special part of me that would just love to see him select Door #1.  (And it would really trip my giggle box to find out he has structured his finances such that his private money is protected from the crashing and burning of the franchise.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 06:46:55 PM »
I'm with VA.  The guy is worth last I heard over $2 billion.  He paid $20 million for the Clippers and it's now worth ~$460million.   I'd tell the NBA to go get stuffed, and continue to own the team. 

When they said "Banned for Life from the  NBA"  My first question was.   He OWNS the team, how do you ban the OWNER from OWNING the team?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
wanna bet he fights it?
hes a tile crawler

Old school and shameless, so I read.

Private orginization, right? Presumably he knew the bylaws and what not when he joined. To lose his team he's got to be voted out by his peers.

Again, that's the business of the NBA.

Our business, too, since they likely have a monopoly granted by US Congress.

FTR, I would withdraw legal monopoly status & protections from ALL sports leagues.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »
A mostly reasonable op-ed from Kareen Abdul Jabbar:

http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it.

Make no mistake: Donald Sterling is the villain of this story. But he’s just a handmaiden to the bigger evil. In our quest for social justice, we shouldn’t lose sight that racism is the true enemy. He’s just another jerk with more money than brains.

So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars.
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:11 PM »
Yeah, so far the only thing I've seen on the topic that's actually sensible.

I like that guy. He did a cameo on Scrubs. :)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2014, 05:14:53 AM »

Our business, too, since they likely have a monopoly granted by US Congress.

For what possible purpose would such a thing exist?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »
For what possible purpose would such a thing exist?

to ensure that some of the enormous profits are shared by the legislators.   its called payola  lobbying  government relations   think of it as the slime that leaks out under the bottom of the barrel