Author Topic: I cant take it any more  (Read 10392 times)

Kyle

I cant take it any more
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:52:18 PM »
Some discussions over on THR have my blood boiling...  This is what I want to post there but I cant so I am posting it here.

I am so tired of this "leftists hate god and are intolerant of anyone practicing religion" garbage.

I am not a leftist. I am a college student. I am an NRA member (as of a few days a go ^_^) I actively campaign and volunteer for Republican and conservative candidates in local, state, and sometimes national elections. I work with groups on campus to spread conservatism and bring attention to UN atrocities and the border travesty, etc. We are having David Horowitz come to campus tomorrow to talk about his book and how to spot and combat communist professors.

HOWEVER

I am a positive, "fundamentalist" athiest. I also happen to be an ardent scolar of religion, especialy the judeo-christian ones. Not as a form of rebellion or as a way to spurn society and my parents. I have never had a religion, so I am an athiest. So, I am pro-choice, pro-gay, and pro-church/state seperation.

Why do a-religious people not want Inteligent Design theories taught in school?

Because no, the world is not 6,000 years old. No, Adam and Eve were not the first two humans. No, snakes do not talk. No, the dinosaurs did not go extinct because they were too big to fit on the Ark. No, the answer to the question "then how is it that stars are many many light-years away?" is not "because God bends the light to test our faith."

What people need to understand is that the mythologies of the old testament are simply that: mythologies. This is not used as a perjorative. They are mythologies. They are poetic ways of conveying a spiritual truth. No, God did not part the red sea for Moses. That is not true. But the statement of faith "God will help his followers when they need it most" IS true (for a religious person).

It is exceedingly clear that the writers of the old testament KNEW that they were writing mythologies LONG after the events supposedly happened. They were perfectly happy with this. It was not until much later that people started to take them as a literal, historical record.

I, and other a-religious people do not begrudge you your beliefs. If you teach your children that the stories are metaphorical examples of how God can help you in your life, good for you; I am glad you do so.  If you want to teach your kids that the Old Testament is a historical, literal account, I warn you are putting your children at a terrible disadvantage, but I cannot stop you.

I cannot stop you from teaching that to your kids and putting them at that disadvantage in life. But myself, and many others, CAN stop you from teaching OUR children that, and will fight tooth and nail to ensure it.

We do not hate your religion, we simply hate it when people try and teach matters of faith as fact, when they are in fact matters of faith.

I cant take it any more
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:47:01 AM »
So your angry that people dont agree with you? That their dissagreement with you is expressed with the same passion as your reciprocal dissagreement?

Maybe it will make you feel better to know that I do actually agree with much of your post, but I strongly dissagree with your apparent "wounding" at the hands of others who dissagree. Your inability to tollerate opposing viewpoints speaks of a certain insecurity of your own beliefs. If you had a true and strong conviction then it really shouldnt bother you if other people are wrong.

For the record, your kids are going to learn a whole steaming pile of bullshit in school, intelligent design is but a small smelly pellet in an otherwise mountanous pile. When it *really* comes down to it, what does it matter how the human race came about? Does it really impact your life in a significant and daily way? Does a person who believes in creation have a significant disadvantage from a person who understands evolution when applying for a job as a plumber? Is it going to have an impact on your childs ability to pay the rent or mow their lawn? Really, its bewildering to me why an athiest even has a big stake in this fight. I understand why religious people care, they have to, faith is all they have so it has to be protected. By definition you dont have faith, so what are you protecting? The truth? Sure, it's a noble cause, but if that were the case you would be fighting for truth that matters, not truth that simply bugs you. Face it, it doesnt really matter what a person believes in this whole debate, its about *nothing more* than who is right and who is wrong.

Seriously, take a step back and realize that your nearly having an aneurism over a petty little fact that wont occupy more than an hour of a child's education, then tell me with a straight face that you are really all that different from the religious zelots that you oppose. I put the lot of you into the same leaky boat. At least kids still get their recess and other children, otherwise the only thing they would learn is that adults arent qualified to be trusted with their education.

LAK

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 01:01:12 AM »
There is really no meeting point on this IMO. Historically, the Church has simply held the opposite side - and forbidden people to teach certain theories as fact.

This could lead to some interesting discussion though.

Let me start things off this way; how can the OT (or certain items) be written off as mythology, when science itself is divided on it's explanations concerning most key issues on this subject? Take one hundred scientists at random, ask them what are the origins of planet earth, and you are not going to get a unanimous declaration of fact. Unless of course you hand pick one hundred that happen to share the same opinion.

Then let's examine creation vs modern science and ask; is it possible - within the realm of science - for something to come about from nothing. And I mean nothing? I think not; so from where did the first elements - matter - come from?

To try and say "they have just always been there" simply begs more questions. So in order to accept modern sciences' explanations, one must also have a heavy dose of faith.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstaes.org

mfree

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:16:02 AM »
" is it possible - within the realm of science - for something to come about from nothing. And I mean nothing? I think not; so from where did the first elements - matter - come from?"

Don't ever ask someone versed in theoretical particle physics that; there are theories, coming about to explain the phenomenon of "dark matter" that could very well end up explaining the "coagulation" of matter from energy after the little pop.

I can't recall the proper name, but there's a measured effect where two flat plates in a vacuum will "attract" each other once brought within a threshold distance, and rather strongly given the environment. The current explanation is that "nothing" isn't nothing, there's still an energy state and the plates were brought within the wavelength of that energy thus eliminating it from the space between the plates and radiation pressure was pushing them together. Heck, I mean, 300 years ago we all thougth air was "nothing" too.

The biblical creationists have had a couple thousand years to cement their end of things in the human mind and behaviour. Science of the kind that can explain this is less than 200 years old, and very few people understand it, but there's quite a lot of tangible evidence that supports it.

I hold no anger towards someone who believes in creationism. I hold no anger towards someone who believes in intelligent design, asides from their tendency to assign to God human traits and failings through that theory (God as watchmaker, putting together an elaborate machine... and getting it wrong. Omniscient much?). I personally believe in evolution. But heavens help you when you blindly attempt to convert me to your end of things after I say no, or if you deny me my opportunity to tell someone who hasn't recieved either end of things. Why couldn't God have simply done what the Deists propose, set things in motion and watched as everything unfolds precisely according to His plans, over several billions of years?

Personally, I think if God had any influence in the creation of the universe, it was to throw down a set of rules and go "bip" and hey, here's this huge explosion that coagulated out into lower energies and then matter, which over billions of years coalesced into galaxies, stars, and planets, that went through energy-induced reactions to make self-replicating creatures that eventually were modified to succeed wildly as intelligent, self-aware bipedal creatures who could finally appreciate God.

The Creation
1  In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (singularity)

2  And the earth (universe or world) was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3  Â¶ And God said, Let there be light: 2 Cor. 4.6 and there was light. (big bang)

4  And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. (energetical and matter coalescence)

5  And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. (creation of time)

6  Â¶ And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. (formation of atomic elements)

7  And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. (see 6)

8  And God called the firmament Heaven. 2 Pet. 3.5 And the evening and the morning were the second day.

9  Â¶ And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so. (gravitational attraction of stellar dust ring into planets)

10  And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good. (hey, He's on a roll)

11  And God said, Let the earth bring forth (evolve) grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. (evolutional steps, plants to larger plants, that branch of the phyla)

12  And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. (description of biological reproduction)

13  And the evening and the morning were the third day.

14  Â¶ And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: (planets spin)

etc

20  Â¶ And God said, Let the waters bring forth (evolve) abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

etc

24  Â¶ And God said, Let the earth bring forth  (evolution of land creatures after sea) the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

25  And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

26  Â¶ And God said, Let us make man in our image, (i.e. having self-awarenes)  1 Cor. 11.7 after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (because of their intelligence)

27  So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Mt. 19.4 · Mk. 10.6

I honestly don't see why the fight is so hard against evolution.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I cant take it any more
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 03:37:44 AM »
My interpretation is E=God.

I wonder what Einstein would have said about that idea...

Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ron

I cant take it any more
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:54:43 AM »
Appreciate you signing up and straightening me out. Smiley

I'm still not sure I can generate the faith to believe that order arises spontaneously from disorder or that sentient life arises spontaneously from lifeless matter.

But with all you smart scientist types telling me what to believe I think I'll be alright. Wink

Dannyboy

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:06:59 AM »
I was of the understanding that Intelligent Design and Creationism were actually two different theories.  I always thought that ID pretty much agreed with evolution except for the beginning and that Creationism was what came from the Bible.  Is this wrong?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I cant take it any more
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 05:00:35 AM »
Great.  Another evolution/creation thread.  

Quote from: Malice
I am so tired of this "leftists hate god and are intolerant of anyone practicing religion" garbage.
There are indeed many secular leftists, rightists, moderates and libertarians who hate the idea of God, hate religion and are intolerant.  If you aren't of that group, I can definitely understand that you don't want to be lumped in with them.  But it seems you have as much resentment toward certain religious people as they do toward secularists.

I am a positive, "fundamentalist" athiest....I have never had a religion, so I am an athiest. So, I am pro-choice, pro-gay, and pro-church/state seperation.
Why do you feel that atheism leads to these points of view?  Regarding religious freedom, perhaps you misunderstand why some conservative Christians balk at the word "seperation."  It is not that we actually reject the religious freedom embodied in the first amendment.  Rather, we feel that seperation is the wrong way to interpret the amendment, and actually erodes freedom.  Having said that, I feel that many conservatives, religious or otherwise, have a poor understanding of rights, albeit better than that of most leftists.  

You seem to believe the common myth that ID is a thinly-disguised Christian creationism.  This is wrong, simplistic and lacking in evidence as far as I can tell.  

Because no, the world is not 6,000 years old. No, Adam and Eve were not the first two humans. No, snakes do not talk.
Well, that's your opinion, but such dogmatism sounds pretty religious, to me.  ID does not teach these things.

No, the dinosaurs did not go extinct because they were too big to fit on the Ark. No, the answer to the question "then how is it that stars are many many light-years away?" is not "because God bends the light to test our faith."
Again, your opinion, but dogmatic again.  ID does not teach these things, nor do informed creationists.  Like most partisans in this debate, you argue against the other side's position without understanding it.

What people need to understand is that the mythologies of the old testament are simply that: mythologies. This is not used as a perjorative. They are mythologies. They are poetic ways of conveying a spiritual truth. It is exceedingly clear that the writers of the old testament KNEW that they were writing mythologies LONG after the events supposedly happened. They were perfectly happy with this. It was not until much later that people started to take them as a literal, historical record.
How do you know this?  

I, and other a-religious people do not begrudge you your beliefs.
Then why do you belittle them, and in this very post?

If you want to teach your kids that the Old Testament is a historical, literal account, I warn you are putting your children at a terrible disadvantage, but I cannot stop you.
What disadvantage?

But myself, and many others, CAN stop you from teaching OUR children that, and will fight tooth and nail to ensure it.
Would you also fight to ensure that our children are not taught that evolution is the only scientifically viable view of origins?  

We do not hate your religion, we simply hate it when people try and teach matters of faith as fact, when they are in fact matters of faith.
So I should have faith in things that aren't factual?  Why?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 05:32:06 AM »
Great.  Another evolution/creation thread.
Yea, really, wake me up when it's over, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

I cant take it any more
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 05:51:45 AM »
Quote from: GoRon
Appreciate you signing up and straightening me out. Smiley

I'm still not sure I can generate the faith to believe that order arises spontaneously from disorder or that sentient life arises spontaneously from lifeless matter.

But with all you smart scientist types telling me what to believe I think I'll be alright. Wink
+1.
Wake me up when it's over. rolleyes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
I cant take it any more
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 06:11:01 AM »
yeah wake me up when its over too. zzzzzzzzzz
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Stickjockey

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 06:51:25 AM »
Quote from: 280Plus
My interpretation is E=God.

I wonder what Einstein would have said about that idea...
How about this:

"What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world."

-Albert Einstein
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 07:10:29 AM »
280, you worship energy?  Tongue Sorry, I meant Energy.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
I cant take it any more
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 07:36:35 AM »
This is why I am an agnostic. Atheists prostelytize just as much as Christians.

280plus

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 07:40:20 AM »
Very interesting quote stick...

And no, fist, I'm not getting tricked into discussing religion on the net again...

LOL...

cosine

• Administrator
I cant take it any more
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 07:42:14 AM »
HEY Y'ALL, IT"S OVER! WAKE UP!

well, the last five posts or so haven't addressed the original posts, nor has there been any real serious debate going on... Tongue
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 07:55:13 AM »
quote stick?

cosine

• Administrator
I cant take it any more
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 07:56:10 AM »
Quote from: fistful
quote stick?
This:

Quote from: Stickjockey
How about this:

"What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world."

-Albert Einstein
Andy

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
I cant take it any more
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 08:45:54 AM »
quote stick = quote I use to beat you over the head with Wink

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
I cant take it any more
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 08:47:08 AM »
Quote from: wingnutx
quote stick = quote I use to beat you over the head with Wink
Rule of thumb... I will beat you with a stick that is larger in diameter than my thumb.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

I cant take it any more
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 09:00:53 AM »
With sincerest apologies to Ian Dury (and I guess The Blockheads, too):

In the deserts of Sudan
And the gardens of Japan
From Milan to Yucatan
Every woman, every man

Hit me with fistful's quote stick.
Hit me! Hit me!
Je t'adore, ich liebe dich,
Hit me! hit me! hit me!
Hit me slowly, hit me quick.
Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!

In the wilds of Borneo
And the vineyards of Bordeaux
Eskimo, Arapaho
Move their body to and fro.

Hit me! Hit me!
Das ist gut! C'est fantastique!
Hit me! hit me! hit me!
It's nice to be a lunatic.
Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!

Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!

In the dock of Tiger Bay
On the road to Mandalay
From Bombay to Santa Fe
Over hills and far away

Hit me! Hit me!
C'est si bon, mm? Ist es nicht?
Hit me! hit me! hit me!
Two fat persons, click, click, click.
Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!

Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!
Hit me!
Hit me!
Hit me! Ow!
Hit me!
Hit me!
Hit me! hit me!
Hit me (x5)
Hit me! Hit me! Hit me

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
I cant take it any more
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 09:06:31 AM »
no Pat Benatar

Well youre the real tough cookie with the long history
Of breaking little hearts, like the one in me
Thats o.k., lets see how you do it
Put up your dukes, lets get down to it!
Hit me with your best shot!
Why dont you hit me with your best shot!
Fire away!

You come on with a come on, you dont fight fair
But thats o.k., see if I care!
Knock me down, its all in vain
Ill get right back on my feet again!

Fire away!

Well youre the real tough cookie with the long history
Of breaking little hearts, like the one in me
Before I put another notch in my lipstick case
You better make sure you put me in my place

Come on, hit me with your best shot!
Fire away!

Fire away!

Uranus is a gas giant.

I cant take it any more
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 09:22:06 AM »
With respect to separation of church and state, I have never understood how "enforced atheisim" is any different that "enforced christianity"?

drc

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 09:26:30 AM »
Color me confused.  I have a quote stick now?

grampster

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 10:10:05 AM »
I'll have a short stack of blueberry pancakes, please.  And some of that really good syrup.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw