Author Topic: I cant take it any more  (Read 10393 times)

LAK

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2006, 12:58:08 AM »
CAnnoneer
What many religious people do is accept the gifts of technology but reject the science upon which they are based, because its implications carry a heavy emotional cost. To accept the scientific view of the world is to also accept that based on the little we know, we live in a mechanistic uncaring universe fundamentally governed by a few faceless "inhuman" laws of physics and the resulting mathematical permutations. Such a view is fundamentally at odds with the cuddly warm feeling religious people get from believing there is somebody watching over them.
Begging your pardon; the technology we have enjoyed for a couple of centuries up to and including today has come from disciplined minds within predominently Christian civilized society.

-----------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
I cant take it any more
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2006, 02:42:53 AM »
My thing with ID is what the judge said in a interview when he banned it from the state school systems.  'ID is creationism with the implicit references to the bible removed'.

Now, what's always a kicker to me is that Evolution doesn't explain the origins of life.  Think about that for a moment.  The theory of Evolution, in it's pure form, does not explain the origin or start of life.  One of the tenants of evolution is that life comes from life, that there is no spontaneous generation.  Evolution is never going to become a 'law' because the process is too messy to be fully explained by a couple paragraphs.  When you start getting into exact methods, functions, the wierd stuff like DNA strand giving/exchange found in some forms of microcellular life.

Now yes, there are a number of theories about the actual start of life.  Some could even be considered a form of ID.

Some alien civilization launched a rock 'probe' seeded with spores of life billions of years ago...  Why?  Interstellar travel turned out to be too difficult for their civilization, so they launched what they could to spread life.  On the other hand, that initial spark of life could have come from a live planet that was broken up.  Then there's the question of how that alien species/civilization started, because it puts us back to step 1.

Still, life had to begin somewhere, and I haven't heard of any signs of life, past or present have ever been found on mars or the moon.  So life might have started here.  On the other hand, conditions would have been far different on the earth of that time, and I've heard that scientists have managed to create some interesting substances using the theoretical 'soup' of atmosphere and liquids for the time.  Even a one in a quadrillion chance starts becoming likely when you have a whole planet as the incubator and millions/billions of years to work on it.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I cant take it any more
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2006, 02:53:51 AM »
Water is life...

Find me another planet with liquid water and I'll bet we find life, or will eventually. The evolution theory I was taught in grade school (1960s) (or the "Dark Ages" Tongue ) was that we all come from single celled organisms that began life in the sea. And not only that but BLOOD developed as the replacement for the nourishment provided by this one cell being surrounded by sea water. Once there were multiple cell organisms, once they learned how to divide, they had to get this nourishment to the inner cells somehow and hence the circulatory system began to form. So it was postulated back then that sea water and blood were directly related.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I cant take it any more
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2006, 03:25:42 AM »
Quote from: Malice
fistful,
The reason I dont want to contiune this is because of your last 2 posts. I found it unnecesarily condescending. Not towards my views or beliefs, but towards me as a person. I would hate to bother you to respond to my boring thread anymore.
Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I cant take it any more
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2006, 03:37:46 AM »
Malice, no offense but this topic has been discussed to death here more than several times. The regulars aren't necessarily interested in seeing another one.  Do a search on God or Intelligent Design here and I'm sure you'll come up with all our various and sometimes vehement discussions on the subject.

My apologies.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ron

I cant take it any more
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2006, 03:52:41 AM »
Oh come on Malice, don't abandon your thread.

There is some irony in that a guy named "Malice" posting a thinly veiled attack on religious folks is the first one getting offended.

Gotta go to work, I'll check in to this one later.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
I cant take it any more
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2006, 04:48:58 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Malice, no offense but this topic has been discussed to death here more than several times. The regulars aren't necessarily interested in seeing another one.  Do a search on God or Intelligent Design here and I'm sure you'll come up with all our various and sometimes vehement discussions on the subject.

My apologies.
My apologies also, but as mentioned above these get beat to death and its kind of fun to take the Grandpa Simpson approach on topis that just won't die.

Quote from: Grandpa Abraham Simpson
Mr. burns: so do u have a way to get rid of the protesters?

Grandpa: One way to get rid of them is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time we went over to Shelbyville during the war, I wore an onion on my belt....which was the style at the time...you couldnt get those white ones, you could only get those big yellow ones.................now where was I........oh yeah, the important thing was I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time, you couldn't get those...
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »
Quote from: LAK
Begging your pardon; the technology we have enjoyed for a couple of centuries up to and including today has come from disciplined minds within predominently Christian civilized society.
Before I can respond, you have to embelish your argument. Right now, the relevance of the above is not clear.

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2006, 07:21:11 AM »
Quote from: fistful
A great system, but scientists are human.
Indeed. And that is why science is uniquely resistant to dogmatism because the scientific method of experimental inquiry almost completely offsets the failings of human nature. By contrast, a belief system, e.g. an ideology or religion, are very susceptible to the human failings of its creators, interpreters, and promulgators.

CAnnoneer, as a Biblical creationist, please tell me what I'm rejecting that results in useful technology.
If you use any technology at all, you are using the products of scientific inquiry and the resulting scientific perspective on the world. In that perspective, we understand and predict properties and interactions down to subatomic level. At least up to now, we have not discovered any evidence of the supernatural and in fact there is not even a logical space for such in the framework we have built upon experimental testable evidence. If you believe that there is something beyond that, in essence you are rejecting the straightforward implications of what we already know, and thus in a sense what they are based on. The latter emanates all technology that you use.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2006, 09:09:56 AM »
Quote from: CAnnoneer
Science is uniquely resistant to dogmatism because the scientific method of experimental inquiry almost completely offsets the failings of human nature. By contrast, a belief system, e.g. an ideology or religion, are very susceptible to the human failings of its creators, interpreters, and promulgators.
Your faith in science is touching, but unconvincing.  

CAnnoneer, as a Biblical creationist, please tell me what I'm rejecting that results in useful technology.
If you use any technology at all, you are using the products of scientific inquiry and the resulting scientific perspective on the world. In that perspective, we understand and predict properties and interactions down to subatomic level.

At least up to now, we have not discovered any evidence of the supernatural and in fact there is not even a logical space for such in the framework we have built upon experimental testable evidence. If you believe that there is something beyond that, in essence you are rejecting the straightforward implications of what we already know, and thus in a sense what they are based on. The latter emanates all technology that you use.
With the first paragraph I agree completely, and I subscribe to a scientific view of the world.  A scientific perspective demands a creator, and supports a literal interpretation of the Bible.  

The second paragraph is a nice rant, but I asked for details.  This rant is a complete denial of the evidence produced by modern technology, that shows us the complexity of living things - a complexity of which Darwin could have had no clue.  Moreover, your musings imply a greater understanding of the natural world than anyone can claim.  No logical space?  What arrogance.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
I cant take it any more
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2006, 10:19:53 AM »
Ok.

am a positive, "fundamentalist" athiest. I also happen to be an ardent scolar of religion, especialy the judeo-christian ones.
Wouldn't that be "scholar", and "especially"?

I've got a 26 year-old stepson who is an avowed atheist, and takes great pleasure in slamming Christianity, particularly when I am within earshot.  (I'm Lutheran)  He rants and raves about how he is being hurt by religion as a whole, it's the root of all things bad in society, a means to a world domination end, etc.  I tell him that we Lutherans are in it for the coffee and cookie fellowships.

Tolerance is also not part of his vernacular.  His arguments therefore hold no water with me. :/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

defcon5

I cant take it any more
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2006, 10:58:43 AM »
" We are engaged in a social, political, and cultural war. There's a lot of talk in America about pluralism. But the bottom line is somebody's values will prevail. And the winner gets the right to teach our children what to believe."
-- Gary Bauer, (source unknown)

And so it goes on.

BTW, I am 308win on THR and some *expletive deleted*che bag stole that ID to register here. There, I feel better now that I've vented. Edited to add: "Oops, I think that may be me but I can't figure out why I can't get a password mailed to me." Can anybody help me?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I cant take it any more
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2006, 11:59:57 AM »
A great system, but scientists are human.
Indeed. And that is why science is uniquely resistant to dogmatism because the scientific method of experimental inquiry almost completely offsets the failings of human nature. By contrast, a belief system, e.g. an ideology or religion, are very susceptible to the human failings of its creators, interpreters, and promulgators.
Wow, that was good for a belly-laugh!

"...uniquely resistant to dogmatism..."  yukyukyukyukyuk!  "...offsets the failings of human nature..."  yukyukyukyukyuk!

I wonder, have you spent much time in a department of science in any university?  Or a research lab in any corporation?  Or in an anaysis cell of a group writing a proposal in response to a gov't RFP?  If so, you would appreciate the hilarity of your statements.

Oh, the humans working hard sciences try to use the scientific method and resist dogmatism.  A lot of times they even succeed.  Other times, they work so hard to promote their pet theory that evidence to the contrary is given little weight.  Still others have a severe case of NIH (Not Invented Here) and won't listen to ideas or solutions developed outside thier organization.

Objectivity is possible, however, it is a difficult feat when your reputation, livlihood, and government grant are all on the line.

The problem with science is twofold:
1. Science is practiced by humans.  Wherever two or more are gathered, personality becomes a factor.  When three or more are gathered, politics becomes a factor.
2. Science does not describe reality.  Science describes what it can easily measure*.  Kind of like the drunk who lost his car keys and insists on looking for them under the streetlight.  

* Heck the soft sciences don't even do this.  They need little or no actual data to go off and create whole new fields of "knowledge" so worthless and based in bravo sierra they need new departments to contain the intellectual sewage.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2006, 12:14:23 PM »
If you have a problem with what I said, why not mount a logical attack upon it? The above is both disparaging and non-contributive.

The second paragraph is a nice rant, but I asked for details.
Okay, I'll try to put it in another way. If you accept the scientific method as you claim, why do you abandon it when trying to tackle the divine? Do you not recognize the inherent discontinuity/inconsistency in your belief system? The only way to reconcile the two is to apply the same standards and expectations. This means no deity without measurable reproducible evidence.

This rant is a complete denial of the evidence produced by modern technology, that shows us the complexity of living things - a complexity of which Darwin could have had no clue.
Please explain what you are referring to. Modern understanding of biochemistry in no way undermines Darwin's general idea of evolution from the simpler to the more complex through interaction with the environment and adaptation to ecological niches. If anything, it is reinforced. Subtle complex control mechanisms naturally arise from the chemical properties of molecules, which are based on atomic interactions, which are based on physical interactions and governed by the laws of physics and probability.

Moreover, your musings imply a greater understanding of the natural world than anyone can claim.  No logical space?  What arrogance.
Please identify for me the gap in the edifice of our current scientific knowledge, where the divine might lurk.

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2006, 12:34:13 PM »
Quote from: jfruser
I wonder, have you spent much time in a department of science in any university?  Or a research lab in any corporation?  Or in an anaysis cell of a group writing a proposal in response to a gov't RFP?
Actually, I have. And the above is a low blow. By the same token, just because there are a few child molesters among Catholic priests, we should conclude Catholicism is about child molestation or a significant part thereof.

There certainly are business aspects to modern science and some compromises to be made on many levels. But people that compromise the veracity of their publications either publish irrelevancies that remain ignored, or if they do something influential, they are quickly discovered because nobody can reproduce their results, thanks to the methodology of scientific inquiry. Then their careers are over in a trice and the damage is repaired relatively quickly.

Oh, the humans working hard sciences try to use the scientific method and resist dogmatism.  A lot of times they even succeed.  Other times, they work so hard to promote their pet theory that evidence to the contrary is given little weight.
People like that quickly marginalize themselves and cease to be taken seriously. If they have tenure, they might even linger till the end of their lives, by science leaves them behind quickly enough. The overall system suffers no harm in the long run.

Still others have a severe case of NIH (Not Invented Here) and won't listen to ideas or solutions developed outside thier organization.
Such organizations inevitably crash and burn because they are overtaken by other labs and companies. The overall system regulates itself nicely.

Objectivity is possible, however, it is a difficult feat when your reputation, livlihood, and government grant are all on the line.
There are self-regulatory mechanisms against excessive politics and subjectivity. See above. Over the long run, nothing unworthy survives. That is the beauty of the system - individual failings even if they occur do not grow to be failings of the system as a whole.

The problem with science is twofold:
1. Science is practiced by humans.  Wherever two or more are gathered, personality becomes a factor.  When three or more are gathered, politics becomes a factor.
See above for control mechanisms at the system level.

2. Science does not describe reality.  Science describes what it can easily measure*.  Kind of like the drunk who lost his car keys and insists on looking for them under the streetlight.
We do what we can. What we do, we can count on 100%. This approach is immeasurably better than accepting phenomenological "truths" on trust or because they suit our psychological makeup and spiritual comfort zone.

* Heck the soft sciences don't even do this.  They need little or no actual data to go off and create whole new fields of "knowledge" so worthless and based in bravo sierra they need new departments to contain the intellectual sewage.
Yes, sometimes things like that happen, just like the catholic priests example. But how influential are these guys and how much do they determine the science to pass to the next generation?

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2006, 12:51:09 PM »
Tolerance is also not part of his vernacular.  His arguments therefore hold no water with me.
Veracity and tolerance do not need to correlate. But intolerance might mean a closed mind and therefore a likely fallacy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2006, 02:59:14 PM »
Tolerance is also not part of his vernacular.  His arguments therefore hold no water with me.
Veracity and tolerance do not need to correlate. But intolerance might mean a closed mind and therefore a likely fallacy.
True.

[The scientific] approach is immeasurably better than accepting phenomenological "truths" on trust or because they suit our psychological makeup and spiritual comfort zone.
I agree, conditionally.*  That is why I adhere to Christianity, a religion based on known historical events and supported by science and history.  It impedes on my psychological makeup and spiritual comfort something awful.

*What do you mean by "phenomenological 'truths'"?

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2006, 03:25:10 PM »
What do you mean by "phenomenological 'truths'"?
Phenomenology is part of a philosophy that deals with how the world works, according to that particular philosophy. For example, Aristotelian phenomenology says things do not move by themselves and the earth is at the center of celestial spheres that contain the heavenly bodies. Galileian phenomenology says things are at rest or move uniformly when left alone, while Copernican phenomenology says the sun is at the center of the Solar System and the Earth rotates around it.

The above are examples of phenomenological "truths".

By contrast, "Do unto others as you want done unto yourself", "Be nice", or "An eye for an eye" are examples of ethical "truths". They do not correspond to anything physical or objective, but are examples of ethical attitudes. In that sense they are not phenomenological "truths".

That is why I adhere to Christianity, a religion based on known historical events and supported by science and history.  It impedes on my psychological makeup and spiritual comfort something awful.
I am not convinced history and science support Christianity to any meaningful degree.

In any case, I cannot speak intelligently about your particular internal conflicts ( or lack thereof). But, I have observed that many people just get scared by the implications of our modern scientific knowledge and capabilities. For the past 500 years, modern science has been on a steady march of explaining ever increasing fractions of our universe, and most importantly producing practical results with immediate unquestionable consequences that steadily increase the power of humankind and its control over its environment.

Under such circumstances, the divine seems superfluous and largely irrelevant, quite frankly simply unnecessary in explaining virtually everything. The downside is that if science killed the divine, then it seems quite likely that we all are just a bunch of lumbering biorobots whose primary function in our short lives is to preserve and propagate particular sequences of macromolecules. So this looks like a cold, empty, threatening, meaningless universe, a form of biomolecular prison for the fancy names people like to give to their cortical bioelectric activity. All of the above might hold a grim fascination for inquisitive minds, but is downright scary for the general, feeling public. So, they avert their eyes and soothe their emotions by a web of technical inaccuracies, leaps of faith, and moralization, all present to different degrees in particular individuals.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2006, 04:24:16 PM »
If you have a problem with what I said, why not mount a logical attack upon it? The above is both disparaging and non-contributive.
So sorry.  

If you accept the scientific method as you claim, why do you abandon it when trying to tackle the divine? Do you not recognize the inherent discontinuity/inconsistency in your belief system? The only way to reconcile the two is to apply the same standards and expectations. This means no deity without measurable reproducible evidence.
The evidence reproduces itself.  That is, you, me and every life form on earth are evidence of a creator.  Until we find a reasonable, believable, non-theistic explanation for life and for the universe, the discerning intellect will believe in a creator-god of some sort.  I don't expect such a theory.  

What makes you think I am inconsistent?  How do you claim to know I abandon science when contemplating "the divine"?  Rather presumptuous, no?

This rant is a complete denial of the evidence produced by modern technology, that shows us the complexity of living things - a complexity of which Darwin could have had no clue.
Please explain what you are referring to. Modern understanding of biochemistry in no way undermines Darwin's general idea of evolution from the simpler to the more complex through interaction with the environment and adaptation to ecological niches. If anything, it is reinforced. Subtle complex control mechanisms naturally arise from the chemical properties of molecules, which are based on atomic interactions, which are based on physical interactions and governed by the laws of physics and probability.
That's pretty poetry you wrote there, but neither Darwin nor the generations that made his theory a holy gospel had access to the technology we now have to understand the complexity of what Darwin considered simple forms of life.  Modern biochemistry "supports" Darwinism, because it will allow itself no other option.  That is why the Intelligent Design center at Baylor University was shut down.

Moreover, your musings imply a greater understanding of the natural world than anyone can claim.  No logical space?  What arrogance.
Please identify for me the gap in the edifice of our current scientific knowledge, where the divine might lurk.
Edited to add:  Your request assumes that God is merely an imaginary figure brought in to explain inscrutable phenomenon.  If God is a real being, your request becomes very odd, which explains my response:
What do you mean by this kind of thinking?  With all due respect, it's a stupid question.  We understand that lightening is a matter of static electricity, so we don't believe in Olympian thunderbolts.  But we still question who created these things.  

"Thunder isn't caused by God's footsteps, so we don't need him for that.  Rain aren't God's tears, so we don't need him for that.  Hey, we've explained every physical phenomenon, so we don't need God anymore."  

Why does it exist?  How does it exist?  Why does it hold together as it does?  Are you claiming to fully understand subatomic particles, dark matter, string theory, etc?  Are you claiming to understand how life came to be?

All of the above might hold a grim fascination for inquisitive minds, but is downright scary for the general, feeling public. So, they avert their eyes and soothe their emotions by a web of technical inaccuracies, leaps of faith, and moralization, all present to different degrees in particular individuals.
People were a lot more likely to do that in the ages before science.

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2006, 07:24:57 PM »
That is, you, me and every life form on earth are evidence of a creator.
How is that evidence of a creator? New molecules form from other molecules all the time. Do the new molecules have a creator? Uranium decays into a number of elements, such as lead, xenon, strontium. Hydrogen forms helium, carbon etc. by fusion. Do the results have a creator? Do they have to?

The universe is governed by physical laws, and they seem to be sufficient. If experimental evidence arises that does not fit the current theories, we simply do further study and expand the body of knowledge.

What makes you think I am inconsistent?
The scientific method bases everything on experimental evidence and observation, plus logical methods like Occam's razor. There is no measurable, reproducible, incontrovertible evidence, observation, or experiment that proves the existence of the divine.  It is simply not enough to say "just look around you" when so much has been successfully explained by completely secular means. If you truly apply the scientific method, the only reasonable conclusion would be:"There is no evidence of existence." Instead you are convinced in the opposite.

That's pretty poetry you wrote there, but neither Darwin nor the generations that made his theory a holy gospel had access to the technology we now have to understand the complexity of what Darwin considered simple forms of life.
What does that have to do with anything? Do you say that Darwin is wrong about evolution because he did not know about DNA or molecular biology in general? That is like saying Newton was wrong about gravity because he did not know about relativity.

Modern biochemistry "supports" Darwinism, because it will allow itself no other option.  That is why the Intelligent Design center at Baylor University was shut down.
ID was shut down because it is unscientific. It is not a scientific theory because it simply does not meet the standards already established. If you or anybody else has biomolecular evidence that controverts Darwin, please put it forth. We'd be happy to look at it. Other than that, it is simply non-serious to give a political bash to a scientific theory because you oppose it on the ethical/religious level.

Why does it exist?  How does it exist?  Why does it hold together as it does?  Are you claiming to fully understand subatomic particles, dark matter, string theory, etc?  Are you claiming to understand how life came to be?
We have gone a very long way towards answering those questions without the need of referring to anything divine. Why do you assume we cannot finish the job without it? Maybe we can, maybe we can't. Based on what we already know, it seems we can. If the divine indeed at all exists, it may only lurk at the subnucleonic level and only because we have not yet understood everything about it, but we are moving. There is little mystery in the basis of any interactions above the atomic scale. In fact, all new discoveries in chemistry and molecular biology are just new permutations of the same building blocks and basic interactions.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2006, 08:32:11 PM »
That is, you, me and every life form on earth are evidence of a creator.
How is that evidence of a creator?
Look, you don't have to agree with it.  Just acknowledge that you understand my point of view.  I'll state it very concisely:  Non-theistic theories have not adequately accounted for the existence of the universe, the order therein, or the life forms that we see around us.  Heaven forbid I should gainsay the establishment, but there it is.

New molecules form from other molecules all the time. Do the new molecules have a creator? Uranium decays into a number of elements, such as lead, xenon, strontium. Hydrogen forms helium, carbon etc. by fusion. Do the results have a creator? Do they have to?
No, but the original molecules and elements had to emerge from something.

The universe is governed by physical laws, and they seem to be sufficient. If experimental evidence arises that does not fit the current theories, we simply do further study and expand the body of knowledge.
Quite right, and quite beside the point.  Christianity posits an orderly, comprehensible universe; made by a rational God.  You seem to think God is dead or at least unemployed because certain phenomenon are better understood than previously.  This does not follow.

The scientific method bases everything on experimental evidence and observation, plus logical methods like Occam's razor. There is no measurable, reproducible, incontrovertible evidence, observation, or experiment that proves the existence of the divine.
Funny you should bring up Occam's Razor - it should have cut down evolution long ago.  It is a lot of tap-dancing to avoid the obvious conclusion - design.  If you want measurable evidence for the existence of God, the ID researchers will be glad to provide some.  I.e., highly complex organisms and interactions that make evolution very long odds, indeed.  On the next point, I will reproduce Special Creation when you reproduce one organism evolving into another.  Whenever you're ready.  

If you truly apply the scientific method, the only reasonable conclusion would be:"There is no evidence of existence." Instead you are convinced in the opposite.
I'm not sure what you mean here.  I think you left out a word.

That's pretty poetry you wrote there, but neither Darwin nor the generations that made his theory a holy gospel had access to the technology we now have to understand the complexity of what Darwin considered simple forms of life.
What does that have to do with anything? Do you say that Darwin is wrong about evolution because he did not know about DNA or molecular biology in general?
I'm saying that if Darwin came along and posited his theory today, it would see much less acceptance.  In Darwin's time, it was easy to imagine that simple forms of life could spring from primordial goo, because Darwin and his colleagues didn't understand the complex structures necessary for even a one-celled organism.  They didn't understand how much detailed information was required for DNA.  They knew there were gaps in the fossil record, a lack of transitional forms, but these were expected to eventually come along.  Billions have been discovered, but few that even approach the status of a transitional organism.  

ID was shut down because it is unscientific. It is not a scientific theory because it simply does not meet the standards already established. If you or anybody else has biomolecular evidence that controverts Darwin, please put it forth. We'd be happy to look at it. Other than that, it is simply non-serious to give a political bash to a scientific theory because you oppose it on the ethical/religious level.
I oppose it on a scientific level - I don't have enough faith to believe that time, chance and natural selection can create new organisms and I don't see any evidence for it.  What "political bash" are you talking about?  What standards does ID fail to meet?  

If you want the evidence that controverts Darwin:
  http://www.discovery.org/csc/    http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp
It's not as if it is hidden.

We have gone a very long way towards answering those questions without the need of referring to anything divine. Why do you assume we cannot finish the job without it? Maybe we can, maybe we can't. Based on what we already know, it seems we can.
Why do you assume that we should "finish the job without it"?

If the divine indeed at all exists, it may only lurk at the subnucleonic level and only because we have not yet understood everything about it, but we are moving. There is little mystery in the basis of any interactions above the atomic scale. In fact, all new discoveries in chemistry and molecular biology are just new permutations of the same building blocks and basic interactions.
It is very amusing that you think you may find some mysterious energy in the nucleus of an atom.  "Here is the divine!" you will say, as you diagram it on a whiteboard.  Again, you only have a use for God when it explains something you don't understand.  This is not the only view of the nature of God.  I understand that I fall down because of a force called gravity.  Hopefully, we will someday understand more of how it works.  Does that mean that God will no longer be in the gravity business?  Not at all.  HE CREATED IT.  He made the universe to work as it does so that you could study it and see how it works and praise Him for it.  Not so that you could claim to be the master of it, and that you no longer need the supernatural.

LAK

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2006, 01:38:07 AM »
CAnnoneer
LAK wrote:

[CAnnoneer]Before I can respond, you have to embelish your argument. Right now, the relevance of the above is not clear.
Embellish? Relevence?

You asserted that:
What many religious people do is accept the gifts of technology but reject the science upon which they are based, because its implications carry a heavy emotional cost. To accept the scientific view of the world is to also accept that based on the little we know, we live in a mechanistic uncaring universe fundamentally governed by a few faceless "inhuman" laws of physics and the resulting mathematical permutations. Such a view is fundamentally at odds with the cuddly warm feeling religious people get from believing there is somebody watching over them.
Now read my reply again. I was quite specific; it has been from the disciplined minds of predominently Christian civilized society that the gifts of technology you refer to have come about. How many other ways can I put it?

------------------------------------------------------

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2006, 06:21:41 PM »
Quote from: LAK
it has been from the disciplined minds of predominently Christian civilized society that the gifts of technology you refer to have come about. How many other ways can I put it?
You are saying "It was Christians that created Western science". Except how dogmatic-Christian were they when they said "I trust my eyes and reason more than I trust the teachings of the Church."? Because that is exactly what Copernicus, Galilei, Bruno and others said and had to say, thereby laying the foundation of the scientific method.

Where does one draw the line between dogma and reality? If the infallible Church is clearly wrong about some things, why are we so damn certain they are right about everything else? Why they can't be completely and utterly wrong about everything? How Christian are you really if you disagree with even the smallest piece of the edifice of the dogma?

The reality is that religion came about to explain what people could not. People had to fill in the blanks, which were pretty big at that time, with what might seem reasonable to them. Ergo, the anthropomorphic deities in many cultures lacking particularly dangerous predators and the animal deities in others who had such. As people's tools and knowledge of the natural world improved, it became inevitable that larger portions of old beliefs had to be abandoned in the face of mounting counterevidence. Thus indeed western science naturally arose from religion. People have been trying to reconcile the expanding science with the shrinking religious dogma ever since. It is not a coincidence that the divine continues to lurk in areas yet poorly understood, because people naturally want to fill the void with something, and religion is already available.

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2006, 07:33:12 PM »
Non-theistic theories have not adequately accounted for the existence of the universe, the order therein, or the life forms that we see around us.
Correction: science has accounted for an enormous amount and far better than any religion ever has. No religion ever produced reproducibility or controlled experiments. No religion can predict anything. What they do not know they call "mysterious ways". What they cannot predict, they call "divine will". What they do not understand, they call "miracle". In comparison to even the most rudimentary scientific tool or result, religious knowledge is utterly impotent. Priests cannot do jack, they cannot heal, they cannot resurrect, they cannot move mountains, they cannot even fly. Scientists and engineers put a man on the Moon, charted the planet, cured diseases, built towers into the sky, made man fly like a bird, speak, see and hear through great distances, and control his environment like never before. Priests still just talk the same old talk, just rewritten a bit so that people wouldn't wonder.

Just because science still has areas to be charted while religion boldly proclaims unprovable answers, does not make science wrong and religion right. See what I wrote in response to LAK as well.

No, but the original molecules and elements had to emerge from something.
And they did. Big bang theory. Fusion. Fission. Electromagnetism. Gravity. Chemistry. "We are star-stuff".

Quite right, and quite beside the point.  Christianity posits an orderly, comprehensible universe; made by a rational God.
Anthropomorphism. "God must think like us". See above.

Further, if you accept that the universe is governed by laws, then where is the place of the divine? If the machinery is set up and in motion, where is the "divine will"? Does the divine will break its own laws to do something extraordinary? If not, then everything, even this conversation is "divine will". But if it is, then there is no free will. And we have arrived at an irreconcilable contradiction within the dogma, because the dogma says there is free will. Otherwise people cannot be good or evil. But, if there is free will, then the divine either does not act or it acts by breaking its own laws. But, if the divine is rational and lawful, it would not break its own laws. Any ideas?

You seem to think God is dead or at least unemployed because certain phenomenon are better understood than previously.
Precisely. See the above for the explanation.

If you want measurable evidence for the existence of God, the ID researchers will be glad to provide some.  I.e., highly complex organisms and interactions that make evolution very long odds, indeed.
Excellent. You finally admit that it is indeed possible for everything to have been built by evolving from the simple to the complex. You just believe the odds are so small that external influence must have been involved. First, I am not convinced that it is so improbable because life is autocatalytic and self-reproducible, so that cuts down on time necessities quite quickly. Furthermore, you roll a lot of dice simultaneously, because the planet is so big and water so abundant. Finally, there is non-life related evidence that our planet is at least 5 billion years old. This amount of time is just mindboggling. If you believe that is not enough time for the combinatorics to work out, I'd like to see the calculation.

On the next point, I will reproduce Special Creation when you reproduce one organism evolving into another.  Whenever you're ready.
How long are you willing to wait while I subject subpopulations to different conditions, until they no longer can produce fertile crossbred offspring? 1 million years?

If you truly apply the scientific method, the only reasonable conclusion would be:"There is no evidence of existence." Instead you are convinced in the opposite.
I'm not sure what you mean here.  I think you left out a word.
No evidence of the existence of the divine.

I'm saying that if Darwin came along and posited his theory today, it would see much less acceptance.  In Darwin's time, it was easy to imagine that simple forms of life could spring from primordial goo, because Darwin and his colleagues didn't understand the complex structures necessary for even a one-celled organism.  They didn't understand how much detailed information was required for DNA.  They knew there were gaps in the fossil record, a lack of transitional forms, but these were expected to eventually come along.  Billions have been discovered, but few that even approach the status of a transitional organism.
Darwin did not need to be right about complexity of bacteria, to be right about evolution. His observations were based on species of birds, rather than bacteria. While there are gaps beyond a certain point in time, you seem to ignore detailed meticulous overabundant evidence of evolution from one species into others all over the world in a very wide interval of time, as assembled by comparison of current species with fossil records. Am I to understand you accept evolution but reject spontaneous creation?

What is the detailed information required for DNA? Required of whom? DNA is just a molecule, a cog in the biochemical machinery. There is nothing exceptional or mysterious about it. As expected, simpler organisms have fewer genes and simpler machinery. That is no surprise from evolutionary standpoint. Why is that evidence of design?

I oppose it on a scientific level - I don't have enough faith to believe that time, chance and natural selection can create new organisms and I don't see any evidence for it.
Actually, the more accurate way to put it is that you have enough faith in that such an occurrence is impossible because you judge it is extremely unlikely, therefore the divine must have done it. There is a big difference. The fundamental logical basis of your conclusion is thus faith, not observation or logic. It is faith that for you bridges the gap between "impossible" and "extremely unlikely". That is a bridge I would not cross.

Why do you assume that we should "finish the job without it"?
Occam's razor. Anything superfluous must be cut. The divine would then be superfluous...

It is very amusing that you think you may find some mysterious energy in the nucleus of an atom.  "Here is the divine!" you will say, as you diagram it on a whiteboard.  Again, you only have a use for God when it explains something you don't understand.
Actually, I have no use for it. But, I can see how many people would look for it there. Many do. And no, it would no longer be mysterious if we can chart it, categorize it, dissect it, analyze it, and get to know what makes it tick. In fact, we would then truly "kill" it for everybody else.

Does that mean that God will no longer be in the gravity business?  Not at all.  HE CREATED IT.  He made the universe to work as it does so that you could study it and see how it works and praise Him for it.  Not so that you could claim to be the master of it, and that you no longer need the supernatural.
You got to decide if you believe the divine is active or not. If it is not active, then we live in a universe only governed by immutable laws and our will. If it is active, then it cannot act in any other way but by breaking its own physical laws or infringing upon our free will. The first would make it lawless and possibly irrational, the second tyrranic. Both clash with current dogma. I think you worked yourself into a contradiction.

LAK

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2006, 08:11:02 PM »
CAnnoneer
You are saying "It was Christians that created Western science". Except how dogmatic-Christian were they when they said "I trust my eyes and reason more than I trust the teachings of the Church."? Because that is exactly what Copernicus, Galilei, Bruno and others said and had to say, thereby laying the foundation of the scientific method.
Not quite. Christendom has been a stable civilized culture - the fertile ground in which the sciences and technology have developed. To say that those names had a monopoly on objectivity in science is false.

Modern science is divided, relies heavily on it's own matters of faith - and is as corrupt by money at it's interface with the civilization it claims to serve as all other secular institutions.
Where does one draw the line between dogma and reality? If the infallible Church is clearly wrong about some things, why are we so damn certain they are right about everything else? Why they can't be completely and utterly wrong about everything? How Christian are you really if you disagree with even the smallest piece of the edifice of the dogma?
You believe the Church is clearly wrong about some things - I do not, and nor do many others. Certainly in matters of faith and morals, it is required to accept what the Church teaches as fact. De fide.
The reality is that religion came about to explain what people could not. [etc]
You might believe that - I do not, nor do many others.
Thus indeed western science naturally arose from religion. People have been trying to reconcile the expanding science with the shrinking religious dogma ever since. It is not a coincidence that the divine continues to lurk in areas yet poorly understood, because people naturally want to fill the void with something, and religion is already available.
Much of modern science has been turned into somewhat of a religion itself, providing the explanations some wanted to hear - conveniently free of the moral restraints of the Church.

--------------------------------------------