Author Topic: I cant take it any more  (Read 10394 times)

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2006, 08:26:35 PM »
Quote from: LAK
Christendom has been a stable civilized culture
Orthodox vs Catholic. Catholic vs Protestant. Sect vs sect. Burnings of witches and heretics. Thirty Years War. Hardly stable.

- the fertile ground in which the sciences and technology have developed.
Bruno was tortured and burnt alive. Galilei recanted to be spared the torture. Both got in trouble because they disagreed with the official Christian dogma. Fertile ground indeed.

Modern science is divided, relies heavily on it's own matters of faith
Explain.

- and is as corrupt by money at it's interface with the civilization it claims to serve as all other secular institutions.
Corrupt in what way?

You believe the Church is clearly wrong about some things - I do not, and nor do many others.
So you believe the Earth is flat and at the center of the universe, while the Sun and the planets are rotating around it?

Much of modern science has been turned into somewhat of a religion itself, providing the explanations some wanted to hear - conveniently free of the moral restraints of the Church.
You are mixing actual science with half-educated leftist ignoramuses trying to make use of pieces of science for their own propaganda in support of an agenda dictated by communist ethics.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I cant take it any more
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2006, 09:04:02 PM »
I believe LAK is wack about many things, but this last post is right on the money.  Well said, sir. 

If I may, what is your religious affilliation, if any?

Quote from: CAnnoneer
You believe the Church is clearly wrong about some things - I do not, and nor do many others.
So you believe the Earth is flat and at the center of the universe, while the Sun and the planets are rotating around it?
What church ever taught that the earth is flat?  If LAK is Catholic, geocentrism may be embarassing for him, but I don't know of any other religions that have dictated that theory.  In any case, it is not based on scripture.  Even if he is Catholic, though, the Church doesn't preach that anymore.  In fact, the Catholic Church teaches evolution.   

Much of modern science has been turned into somewhat of a religion itself, providing the explanations some wanted to hear - conveniently free of the moral restraints of the Church.
You are mixing actual science with half-educated leftist ignoramuses trying to make use of pieces of science for their own propaganda in support of an agenda dictated by communist ethics.
You think he's got global warming in mind, perhaps?  He's probably talking about the morality-free implications of naturalism and the prophecies of miracle cures from embryonic stem cells.

Sorry if I put any words in your mouths, either of you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2006, 09:20:38 PM »
Quote from: fistful
If LAK is Catholic, geocentrism may be embarassing for him, but I don't know of any other religions that have dictated that theory.
Other religions have other "interesting" phenomenological ideas: big world tree, flat earth on top of giant elephants on top of a giant turtle that swims in the earth ocean, etc.

In fact, one of the ways to convince yourself that something is fishy is to recognize that all religions are equally likely right, but since they differ, at most only one can be right, but since they are equally likely right, they are likely all wrong. What a nice probabilistic argument for downcasting all religion.

In any case, it is not based on scripture.  Even if he is Catholic, though, the Church doesn't preach that anymore.
Ah, but he said "You believe the Church is clearly wrong about some things - I do not, and nor do many others." Therefore he believes in the infallibility of the Church. If the Church changed its position, it is either wrong now or was wrong before. Either way, a contradiction.

In fact, the Catholic Church teaches evolution.
If that is true, you guys will work yourselves into a big ethical problem concerning the divine intention.

You think he's got global warming in mind, perhaps?  He's probably talking about the morality-free implications of naturalism and the prophecies of miracle cures from embryonic stem cells.
Science does not pursue ethical implications. Non-scientists do that based on disinterested scientific facts. To accuse science of bias because of it is like accusing a gun manufacturer of murder committed by somebody else with a gun they made.

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2006, 09:54:52 PM »
 In any case, it is not based on scripture.
You just opened a can'o'worms. If anything that is not in the scripture is questionable, then you evaporate the last 1,500 years of religious thought. Moreover, you question the infallibility of the Church, because it certainly accepted things that have been proven either wrong or questionable. But, if the Church is fallible, then those guys in Rome and elsewhere are just a bunch of jokers, no better than you and me. Therefore, all wisdom is in the scripture. But wait, the scripture was written by another group of jokers, who don't even agree on some details regarding Jesus himself. Ooops! They can't all be right, so one at most can be right, etc... You know where this is going...

Further, the Adam and Eve story is in the scripture. But, the scripture says incest is wrong. But, Adam's children had to marry one another. So, are we all a product of incest?

Furthermore, we now know that there are established genetic reasons why marrying one's sister is a very bad idea. It leads to deformities etc. If indeed Adam and Eve spawned humankind, by now we'd all be green-eyed redheaded freaks with such horrible deformities that we'd never have even survived for more than a few generations.

You guys have a problem - modern objective observations directly contradict one of the very bases of the scripture.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2006, 09:55:31 PM »
If LAK is Catholic, geocentrism may be embarassing for him, but I don't know of any other religions that have dictated that theory.
Other religions have other "interesting" phenomenological ideas: big world tree, flat earth on top of giant elephants on top of a giant turtle that swims in the earth ocean, etc.
What has that to do with geocentrism?

In any case, it is not based on scripture.  Even if he is Catholic, though, the Church doesn't preach that anymore.
Ah, but he said "You believe the Church is clearly wrong about some things - I do not, and nor do many others." Therefore he believes in the infallibility of the Church. If the Church changed its position, it is either wrong now or was wrong before. Either way, a contradiction.
CAnnoneer, you don't seem to understand Christianity that well.  His statement in no way implied a belief in the infallibility of the medieval Catholic Church.  I could go on, but I'll just wait for him to explain himself.  

In fact, the Catholic Church teaches evolution.
If that is true, you guys will work yourselves into a big ethical problem concerning the divine intention.
I'm not Catholic, but I would like to know what you mean concerning the divine intention.  If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I agree with you.

Science does not make ethical implications. Non-scientists do that based on disinterested scientific facts.
I knew you'd say that.  Scientific theories have implications and consequences on human thought and action.  The perception that science has done away with God has, for many, removed the basis of morality, freeing them from moral constraints.  This is often a bad thing.

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2006, 10:17:19 PM »
What has that to do with geocentrism?
Your argument sounded like "Catholics may be wrong on this, but other religions got it right." I went ahead to show that at least some (actually all of them) are equally if differently ludicrous in phenomenology. I quite pride myself on the probability argument as well. It's very nifty.

I'm not Catholic, but I would like to know what you mean concerning the divine intention.
In a nutschell, evolution basically means survival of the fittest, which guarantees demise of at least some of the less fit. That is in horrible contrast to the Christian idea of a merciful, loving, just, and generous deity. The human equivalent would be that a mother preferentially smokes and drinks in some of her pregnancies, thereby giving some of her children less chance to survive. Alternatively, a father throws all his children, weak and strong, in a pool of sharks and lets them swim to safety if they can. That is a BIG problem.

I knew you'd say that.  Scientific theories have implications and consequences on human thought and action.  The perception that science has done away with God has, for many, removed the basis of morality, freeing them from moral constraints.  This is often a bad thing.
I can reverse the argument on you by saying that religion has historically freed many from any moral constraints as well, especially regarding their treatment of heretics and infidels.

If people are looking for justification for their actions, they will always find or make one. Just because people conveniently grab whatever is available, does not excuse them nor does it indict the source. Science has no ambition in replacing ethics because science does not have any to offer. Science is objective, ethics is subjective. There simply is no intersection. They are completely orthogonal. It is silly to invest science with the responsibility to "watch itself" lest some shmucks grab a piece of it and pervert it to their own unethical uses. That is a ridiculous idea.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2006, 10:26:27 PM »
CAnnoneer,

With all due respect, your understanding of Christian doctrine is simplistic and often incorrect.  I have not opened a can of worms, because I do not think in the way that you suppose I do.  Therefore, I am not saying what you think I am saying.

Everything may be questioned, even the scripture.  What survives scrutiny is true, scriptural or not.  Sounds good and scientific, doesn't it?  Other than the Catholics after a certain date, Christians have never believed in an infallible Church.  (Even Catholics don't believe that all questions are settled.)  An infallible scripture?  Yes, many of us believe in that (I do).  But Protestants/Evangelicals have usually held that the believer interprets scripture for himself.  We're less top-down.

The scripture was indeed written by fallible men, but inspired by an infallible God.  That is why we regard scripture as infallible and inerrant.  Or, some of us do.  We could get into the alleged contradictions, but that is another thread unto itself and will be no more productive than this one.  I will simply say that the Gospels contain complementary accounts that completely agree on all points.  

Further, the Adam and Eve story is in the scripture. But, the scripture says incest is wrong. But, Adam's children had to marry one another. So, are we all a product of incest?

Furthermore, we now know that there are established genetic reasons why marrying one's sister is a very bad idea. It leads to deformities etc. If indeed Adam and Eve spawned humankind, by now we'd all be green-eyed redheaded freaks with such horrible deformities that we'd never have even survived for more than a few generations.

You guys have a problem - modern objective observations directly contradict one of the very bases of the scripture.
Glad you brought up the easy stuff.  If I understand correctly, the deformities that accompany incest are brought on by genetic deformities shared by both parents.  By contrast, in distantly-related parents, an unhealthy gene in one parent is usually corrected by a healthy gene in the other.  According to the Biblical account, mankind was perfect before the Fall, containing no deformities of any kind.  It seems reasonable, therefore, to surmise that the children of Adam and Eve had few, if any, genetic errors so soon after the Curse began to take effect.  Therefore, deformities are not an issue.  It seems reasonable to further surmise that God did not view incest as wrong under these unique conditions.  Even if he did disapprove, it changes nothing.  We are all the product of physically imperfect, sinful parents, going all the way back to A and E.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2006, 10:42:12 PM »
In a nutschell, evolution basically means survival of the fittest, which guarantees demise of at least some of the less fit. That is in horrible contrast to the Christian idea of a merciful, loving, generous deity. The human equivalent would be that a mother preferentially smokes and drinks in some of her pregnancies, thereby giving some of her children less chance to survive. Alternatively, a father throws all his children, weak and strong, in a pool of sharks and lets them swim to safety if they can. That is a BIG problem.
Quite right.  It's evolution or Christianity - they do not mix.  Glad we agree on something besides immigration and killing terrorists.  

CAnny - I LIKE SCIENCE.  I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT.  I believe it supports Christianity, if done well.  I think evolution is bad science, and that is why I object to it.  

I wasn't saying that science makes people do bad things, really, but that anything leading one away from Christianity does so.  Islam, Darwinism, poor understandings of Christian teachings, all have been used to justify evil acts.  

I wasn't accusing science of "replacing ethics," but of having an effect on people's ethics.  This can be bad or good depending on the conclusions reached by scientists.

Science is objective, ethics is subjective.
My ethics are objective, in that they are based on Christianity, a belief system based on objective statements of fact (the ressurection of Christ, etc.).

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2006, 11:09:13 PM »
Everything may be questioned, even the scripture.  What survives scrutiny is true, scriptural or not.
Oh, boy. You'd have been burnt just for that just some 400 years ago. That's not even 30 generations.

If everything can be questioned, then there are sects. If sects disagree on anything, they cannot all be right. In fact, on every issue at most only one is right. Probabilistically then, you (as a sect) must be wrong about most things. To break the even distribution, your sect must be somehow special. Objectively, what makes it special?

Also, scrutiny by what methods?

The scripture was indeed written by fallible men, but inspired by an infallible God.
Says who? The fallible men. Doh. Yikes!

I will simply say that the Gospels contain complementary accounts that completely agree on all points.
Except with the one found in the Dead Sea scrolls. Ooops again.

If I understand correctly, the deformities that accompany incest are brought on by genetic deformities shared by both parents.  By contrast, in distantly-related parents, an unhealthy gene in one parent is usually corrected by a healthy gene in the other.  According to the Biblical account, mankind was perfect before the Fall, containing no deformities of any kind.
If that is correct, then the children would be perfect too. Then they would also have perfect children etc etc down to us. Therefore, we should be free to mate with our sisters, free of any deformities. Yet, we know for a fact that that is not true.

It seems reasonable, therefore, to surmise that the children of Adam and Eve had few, if any, genetic errors so soon after the Curse began to take effect.
You cannot have it both ways. If they were perfect, see above. If they were not perfect, then A&E were not perfect either and that contradicts you. If the above is true, you cannot have imperfect children out of perfect parents.

If the curse is harmful genetic mutations, then the divine sentenced subsequent individuals to suffer terrible consequences of a deed they had no control over on account of being non-existent at the time. That is in direct contradiction with the dogma's assertion of a just, kind deity.

We can chart out the logical inconsistencies of any religion ad infinitum, because they are not built to be self-consistent. That is because they are ultimately based on belief, which by construction does not require evidence or logic. Starting from such a premise simply dooms the exercise from the beginning.

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2006, 11:23:15 PM »
My ethics are objective, in that they are based on Christianity, a belief system based on objective statements of fact (the ressurection of Christ, etc.).
Yes, but now you assert that the resurrection of Christ is an objective fact. An objective observer would say:"I don't know about that, because I cannot measure it, observe it, reproduce it." Ultimately, we have to count on historical accounts, which come to us through a chain of fallible men. Do you see the problem?

The resurrection, in fact anything concerning Christ's divinity is currently unprovable. So, the basis of your claim for objectivity is subjective itself. That is a BIG problem.

I might reconsider Christ's status by measurable evidence. For example, if Jesus comes to me and I keep shooting him dead and he keeps resurrecting, I will be forced to admit that he is special. That is measurable, reproducible, observable evidence.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I cant take it any more
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2006, 02:49:12 AM »
Quote from: jfruser
I wonder, have you spent much time in a department of science in any university?  Or a research lab in any corporation?  Or in an anaysis cell of a group writing a proposal in response to a gov't RFP?
Actually, I have. And the above is a low blow. By the same token, just because there are a few child molesters among Catholic priests, we should conclude Catholicism is about child molestation or a significant part thereof.

There certainly are business aspects to modern science and some compromises to be made on many levels. But people that compromise the veracity of their publications either publish irrelevancies that remain ignored, or if they do something influential, they are quickly discovered because nobody can reproduce their results, thanks to the methodology of scientific inquiry. Then their careers are over in a trice and the damage is repaired relatively quickly.
Hardly a low blow.  Some folks might use the term "empiricism."

Truly, your faith in science is touching .  Keep on evangelizing!

Unfortunately for your theory of self-correcting scientific practice, the data provides examples of pet theories persisting long after sufficient data had been collected to disabuse the scientific community (or other technical community) of its comportment with reality.

I find it quite amusing that you do your level best to find logical holes, contradictions, and the like in religious ventures, but present an idealized, never-yet-attained goal of scientific methodological perfectionism as current reality.  Let me describe to you the City of Man and the City of God...

As to the comparison to pedophile priests, surely the scientific community can do better than those medieval, benighted mouth-breathers in policing thier own, right?

Oh, the humans working hard sciences try to use the scientific method and resist dogmatism.  A lot of times they even succeed.  Other times, they work so hard to promote their pet theory that evidence to the contrary is given little weight.
People like that quickly marginalize themselves and cease to be taken seriously. If they have tenure, they might even linger till the end of their lives, by science leaves them behind quickly enough. The overall system suffers no harm in the long run.

Still others have a severe case of NIH (Not Invented Here) and won't listen to ideas or solutions developed outside thier organization.
Such organizations inevitably crash and burn because they are overtaken by other labs and companies. The overall system regulates itself nicely.
Letting theory trump empiricism is just another on-ramp to the "Faith Superhighway."

Politics and power relations do not end at the lab door.  If one's theory is lacking, our gov't is open to all petitioners (lobbyists) and one's theory can be elevated by an act of Congress to "reality."

Objectivity is possible, however, it is a difficult feat when your reputation, livlihood, and government grant are all on the line.
There are self-regulatory mechanisms against excessive politics and subjectivity. See above. Over the long run, nothing unworthy survives. That is the beauty of the system - individual failings even if they occur do not grow to be failings of the system as a whole.
Once again, this faith in self-righting systems is yet another ghost in the machine.

The problem with science is twofold:
1. Science is practiced by humans.  Wherever two or more are gathered, personality becomes a factor.  When three or more are gathered, politics becomes a factor.
See above for control mechanisms at the system level.

2. Science does not describe reality.  Science describes what it can easily measure*.  Kind of like the drunk who lost his car keys and insists on looking for them under the streetlight.
We do what we can. What we do, we can count on 100%. This approach is immeasurably better than accepting phenomenological "truths" on trust or because they suit our psychological makeup and spiritual comfort zone.
"What we do, we can count on 100%."  A statement of faith as eloquent as that found in the Nicene Creed.

* Heck the soft sciences don't even do this.  They need little or no actual data to go off and create whole new fields of "knowledge" so worthless and based in bravo sierra they need new departments to contain the intellectual sewage.
Yes, sometimes things like that happen, just like the catholic priests example. But how influential are these guys and how much do they determine the science to pass to the next generation?
Two words: Sigmund Freud (Fraud?)

------------------

Yeah, I'm busting your spheres a bit.  Like I wrote, your presentation is idealized.  I was always a "show me" kinda guy unimpressed by theory until observation confirming it whacked me in the face.  This has served me well in my present occupation.  Still, even I must acknowledge taking some theory on faith (not really willing to see folks deliberately bombarded with high-energy particles to see their reaction).

I would suggest that an understanding of the reality of scientific inquiry as practiced by humans makes the practitioner more sensitive to influences of human nature on the inquiry.

Hopefully (hope, faith, idealism!), this would result in action to counter those influences...but poor, benighted me thinks that the inherently corrupt nature of humanity since hte Fall will let even some of them slip through.

We do the best we can.  In 200 years even the most empirical and objective will be regarded by the majority as we regard blood-letters and alchemists today.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2006, 08:45:36 AM »
CAnnoneer,

I should say first of all that I am grateful for your debating style - it is much more pleasant to argue with someone who knows how.  On the other hand, I am frustrated by the way we seem to be talking right past each other.   I finally stopped typing and went to bed at 4.30 in the morning.  It is getting very frustrating to wade through your misunderstandings about what Christians believe, and explain to you that my understanding of the interplay of science and religion is much different from yours.

Maybe I can clear up what I see as the bases of the confusion.

1.  You view religion as something man-made, as man's explanation for things inexplicable.  That is why you see religion and the divine withering away with the forward march of science.  If you want to understand my statements, and therefore realize why I don't, won't and can't agree with you, please understand my view on the subject.  That is, that God is real and that the Christian religion is instituted by Him as the way to have a right relationship with Him.  (That does leave other religions out in the cold.  We can discuss that in another thread, if you like, but I fear we would talk past each other in that one, as well)

2.  My view is not based on "blind faith," the "dogma" of any church, or my attempt to assuage feelings of insecurity, guilt, etc.  These may be powerful forces that induce others to believe, and they may have played a part in my belief in earlier life.  However, as an adult I have rejected such simplistic or misleading influences.  Having considered arguments and evidence for and against Christianity or generic theism, I cannot refuse what I see as overwhelming evidence, scientific, historical and metaphysical, for a divine creator and for the truth of the Christian religion as the way of that creator.  I am not saying that I have seen all the evidence; no one has.  I am not saying that I understand all of the evidence; no one does.  As it is, though, I see no reason to embrace something as convoluted and counterintuitive as evolution or the Big Bang, when the evidence for Christianity, and Biblical inspiration and inerrancy seems more convincing.  

3.  It is truly unfortunate, even tragic, that many in the church took the attitude that science could be ignored and we would just believe the Bible, no matter what.  This attitude is fading, perhaps even dead in the modern, western church.  You seem to think that we are still in that mode.  On the contrary, the Christian creationist movement came about because Christians have come around to the truth that science and religion occupy the same space - we are not in different universes.  If our religion reflects truth, then science either supports it or contradicts it.  If our religion doesn't fit the facts, we'd sure like to know.  We no longer see science as some kind of danger to the faith, but as an ally.  Just as archeology confirms that the Bible is historically accurate, the physical sciences confirm that naturalistic theories such as evolution are completely unrealistic and do not fit the evidence they claim to explain.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2006, 08:49:59 AM »
Science has accounted for an enormous amount and far better than any religion ever has.
This is a problem with our communication.  You think of science as some rival way of viewing the world that competes with or even obsolesces religion.  I do not.  Science is a method, a tool that helps us understand how the physical world works.  Religion doesnt need to tell us what lightening is, or why bodies fall toward earth, unless it is has some bearing on metaphysics.  Science can explain that lightening is static electricity trying to find a ground, but that doesnt dampen my desire to know who decided there should be clouds and electrons and then made them.  Science can look for evidence to this question, but cannot conclusively answer it.  

No religion ever produced reproducibility or controlled experiments. -  Why should it?

No religion can predict anything.  I beg to differ.  The Bible spoke of Hittites, and archeologists eventually found evidence of them.  It told us of King David and Pontius Pilate long before their names were discovered in period inscriptions.   Then there are the actual prophecies of the Bible.  Some fulfilled, some not yet realized.  

What they do not know they call "mysterious ways".  And?  

What they cannot predict, they call "divine will".   How do you mean?

What they do not understand, they call "miracle".  No.  We call miracles those things which we believe were caused by the direct intervention of God.  By that token, we understand what has happened.

In comparison to even the most rudimentary scientific tool or result, religious knowledge is utterly impotent.  Again, why do you expect religion to help you understand how to wire your house or map the human genome?  Religion has more important things to do.

Priests cannot do jack, they cannot heal, they cannot resurrect, they cannot move mountains, they cannot even fly.  Strictly speaking, I agree with you.  Men cant perform miracles  God does that.  If you dont believe they happen, thats fine, but you have no basis for such a dogmatic statement.

Scientists and engineers put a man on the Moon, charted the planet, cured diseases, built towers into the sky, made man fly like a bird, speak, see and hear through great distances, and control his environment like never before. Priests still just talk the same old talk, just rewritten a bit so that people wouldn't wonder.  So, whats your point?  You were expecting religion to get people to the moon?  I thought religion was more concerned with getting their souls to the afterlife.

Just because science still has areas to be charted while religion boldly proclaims unprovable answers, does not make science wrong and religion right.   My religion claims that Jesus of Nazareth rose from the dead.  This could have been proven wrong, and never has been.  In fact, there is no other explanation that fits the facts.  Christianity makes claim after claim that can be proven or disproven  have at it.  

No, but the original molecules and elements had to emerge from something.
And they did. Big bang theory.
Again, Im still looking for a reasonable explanation.  Blowing things up doesnt create anything worth having.  To be correct, though, I should have said they had to emerge from nothing.  Where is scientific observation on that score?  

Quite right, and quite beside the point.  Christianity posits an orderly, comprehensible universe; made by a rational God.
Anthropomorphism. "God must think like us". See above.
No, we think like God.  Created in His image, and all that stuff.  Why is it bad to claim that we have some similarities to God?  Last I knew, that was the original basis for the concept of human rights.  

Further, if you accept that the universe is governed by laws, then where is the place of the divine?
He set up the laws and created the stuff  - thats where.  Where else would you expect to find Him?

If the machinery is set up and in motion, where is the "divine will"?  Its in the laws, the machinery.  The smallest amount of inquiry into the question would have yielded that answer.  They keep the universe running as He desires.

Does the divine will break its own laws to do something extraordinary?  Finally, you ask a good question.  Miracles do not violate natural laws.  If I am falling off a cliff and a net is there to break my fall, no laws are broken.  Gravity is not offended, it is still pulling me down.  However, my body was acted on by another force that overcame its pull until I slowed down or stopped moving.  In the same way, gravity is not cheated when an invisible divine hand catches me and lowers me gently to the Earth.  Scientific observation may not be able to explain it, but that doesnt make it wrong.  

If not, then everything, even this conversation is "divine will".  Of course it is.  God sent me to save your soul.  Tongue  

But if it is, then there is no free will.  Now THAT is a can of worms.  An all-powerful all-knowing God who created all things, how can anything escape being in His control?  Many Chrisitans do NOT believe in free will.  The Calvinists are best known for this.  The other side is typified by the Armenians.  I belong to the latter group.  So, free will is not necessarily part of this dogma.  I hope this points out to you that you dont understand the Christian doctrine you are trying to debunk.

If you want measurable evidence for the existence of God, the ID researchers will be glad to provide some.  I.e., highly complex organisms and interactions that make evolution very long odds, indeed.
Excellent. You finally admit that it is indeed possible for everything to have been built by evolving from the simple to the complex. You just believe the odds are so small that external influence must have been involved. First, I am not convinced that it is so improbable because life is autocatalytic and self-reproducible, so that cuts down on time necessities quite quickly. Furthermore, you roll a lot of dice simultaneously, because the planet is so big and water so abundant. Finally, there is non-life related evidence that our planet is at least 5 billion years old. This amount of time is just mindboggling. If you believe that is not enough time for the combinatorics to work out, I'd like to see the calculation.
I never said it was possible.  You have a way of jumping to conclusions, sir.  I was telling you what ID researchers have said about the probability of those aspects of evolution which seem possible, yet highly, highly unlikely.  In fact, I think they would say it is not possible, as one of their major arguments is organelles that would be useless if they evolved a bit at a time.  As you know, the useless does not prosper under the law of natural selection.  Rather than stumble about on that topic, I will refer you to some articles on that topic, which may be found here:  http://www.discovery.org/csc/essentialReadings.php

Reasons why creationists doubt dating methods can be found here:  http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/dating.asp

Mind explaining that autocatalytic thing?  Cool word.  Are you saying that life starts itself?  

On the next point, I will reproduce Special Creation when you reproduce one organism evolving into another.  Whenever you're ready.
How long are you willing to wait while I subject subpopulations to different conditions, until they no longer can produce fertile crossbred offspring? 1 million years?
So youre admitting that scientists cannot and have not reproduced the phenomenon they claim to have such certainty of?  

If you truly apply the scientific method, the only reasonable conclusion would be:"There is no evidence of existence." Instead you are convinced in the opposite.
I'm not sure what you mean here.  I think you left out a word.
No evidence of the existence of the divine.  Thats what I thought you meant.  You have already decided that science will explain away anything supernatural.  I thought you said science was unbiased.  

I'm saying that if Darwin came along and posited his theory today, it would see much less acceptance.  In Darwin's time, it was easy to imagine that simple forms of life could spring from primordial goo, because Darwin and his colleagues didn't understand the complex structures necessary for even a one-celled organism.  They didn't understand how much detailed information was required for DNA.  They knew there were gaps in the fossil record, a lack of transitional forms, but these were expected to eventually come along.  Billions have been discovered, but few that even approach the status of a transitional organism.
Darwin did not need to be right about complexity of bacteria, to be right about evolution. His observations were based on species of birds, rather than bacteria.
I wasnt speaking of Darwin only, but of his contemporaries and those who came immediately after him.  Theories of abiogenesis were posited that seemed reasonable in the ignorance of those times, but that have since been discarded with our greater understanding.  

While there are gaps beyond a certain point in time, you seem to ignore detailed meticulous overabundant evidence of evolution from one species into others all over the world in a very wide interval of time, as assembled by comparison of current species with fossil records. Am I to understand you accept evolution but reject spontaneous creation?
No, sir.  You ignore the evidence of the fossil record.  An almost-total lack of transitional forms.  A pre-Cambrian explosion that all but screams, This all happened at once!  And the fossils are buried in strata that are frequently found in the wrong places for an old-earth theory of geology.  I.e., old strata on top of younger, on top of older on top of younger.  

I accept natural selection, but not the evolutionary notion that it can create new species.  What do you mean by spontaneous creation?

What is the detailed information required for DNA? Required of whom?  DNA contains information that tells the organism how to build itself, no?  Information does not come from out of nowhere  especially not the very complex codes of DNA.  Again, Darwins age had no concept of this.  

I oppose it on a scientific level - I don't have enough faith to believe that time, chance and natural selection can create new organisms and I don't see any evidence for it.
Actually, the more accurate way to put it is that you have enough faith in that such an occurrence is impossible because you judge it is extremely unlikely, therefore the divine must have done it. There is a big difference. The fundamental logical basis of your conclusion is thus faith, not observation or logic. It is faith that for you bridges the gap between "impossible" and "extremely unlikely". That is a bridge I would not cross.
This is some very convoluted logic.  The basis of my conclusion is reason and observation.  When confronted with various possibilities, one selects the likely explanation, not the one that is on the far edge of likelihood.  Given the difficulties that natural processes would have to overcome to make evolution work, (if one even grants that evolution can explain the irreducible complexity pointed out by Intelligent Design research) the supernatural is a better, more logical, indeed, more scientific explanation than the natural.  Unfortunately, science currently refuses to consider this possibility.  

Why do you assume that we should "finish the job without it"?
Occam's razor. Anything superfluous must be cut. The divine would then be superfluous...  

Why is the divine superfluous?  Is that not an assumption you expect science to justify, rather than simply accepting the evidence as it comes?  Ockhams razor butchers unnecessarily complicated and convoluted theories, such as evolution.

LAK

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2006, 02:49:08 AM »
fistful,

Catholic - formerly Protestant.

----------------------------

CAnnoneer
Orthodox vs Catholic. Catholic vs Protestant. Sect vs sect. Burnings of witches and heretics. Thirty Years War. Hardly stable.
Conflicts are a fact of life. Even a scientist should understand that.
Bruno was tortured and burnt alive. Galilei recanted to be spared the torture. Both got in trouble because they disagreed with the official Christian dogma. Fertile ground indeed.
Giordano Bruno was not a scientist - he was a philosopher who abandoned his order, and he was condemned for heresy. Not for any scientific view. Galileo did not recant anything to escape torture and remained faithful to the Church. It was his fellow academics that had stirred things up between the Church and Gallileo. And the Church's real grievance with Gallileo was his declaration of the right of science to interpret Scripture contrary to literal texts; this at a time when Protestants had stirred up a revolution of there own over the same issue.

The usual enemies of the Church - atheistic socialists - did put Antoine Lavoisier to death, and into the 20th century did more damage to science directly against the people, institutions and progress involved than any other force in it's history.
RE: Modern science is divided, relies heavily on it's own matters of faith

Explain.
It certainly is divided. And it is subject to it's own matters of faith. Carbon dating is a good example. We are told that Carbon-14 has a half life of 5,700 years, and can be used to date things going back about 50,000 years or so. This asumes that Carbon- 14 is subject to a perfectly linear decay; has anyone been around that long to actually measure and record this from start to finish? It was not really all that long ago that some of these people also admitted that there were ways that "newer" Carbon-14 could find it's way onto or into various items - thus throwing the whole process off.
Corrupt in what way?
In a nutshell; money. And there is as much rivalry in the scienific world as anywhere else. Modern science has a direct interface with the world of government and commerce; the latter two about as void of morality as can get.
Nope. Why should I? I get the impression that you put much weight on popular history - introduced in increasingly heavier doses by the growing socialist secular institutions. The Capernican theories had been around in written form a long time before they got the attention of the Church. And it was not so much that the Church opposed scientific theory, as much as it did not want such theories to be applied to the interpretations of Scripture - and taught as "fact".
And now you are implying that modern science - as an institution - is free of people trying to make use of pieces of science for their own propaganda insupport of an agenda.

The half educated ignoramuses, and even communists, have been around for a long time.

------------------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2006, 08:50:43 AM »
Quote from: jfruser
Hardly a low blow.  Some folks might use the term "empiricism."
It is a low blow not because it is empirical, but because it is inequitable. What you said would be equivalent to me attacking fistful's arguments by bringing up the centuries of "personnel" problems in the church as well. You use this argument to attack the veracity of the result, while I say that even if part of the result may be temporarily compromised now and then, the method of inquiry itself corrects for it over time. What I am really opposed to is the religious method itself, because it seems to me it starts already knowing the fundamental answer and then looks to find supporting material.

Truly, your faith in science is touching .  Keep on evangelizing!
My "faith" is in the method of inquiry, not the people that do their best to practice it.

Unfortunately for your theory of self-correcting scientific practice, the data provides examples of pet theories persisting long after sufficient data had been collected to disabuse the scientific community (or other technical community) of its comportment with reality.
How long is long? Science trips on an ever-shrinking scale. In the 1700s, a wrong theory might have persisted in the face of controverting evidence for maybe 50 years; in the 1800s, maybe for 30 years; in the early 1900s for maybe 20; in the late 1900s for 10 at most; nowadays, errors and frauds are exposed within 1-2 years of the initial faux pas. Compared to all other options, science seems to be light years ahead in self-correction subroutines.

I find it quite amusing that you do your level best to find logical holes, contradictions, and the like in religious ventures, but present an idealized, never-yet-attained goal of scientific methodological perfectionism as current reality.  Let me describe to you the City of Man and the City of God...
Are we talking methodology or results? You attack my methodology based on my attack on results. I freely admit that perfect scientific methology can produce imperfect results when wrongly applied by fallible people, but when rightly applied by fallible people, it produces right results, moreover, it produces them again and again for all to see. What is the bearing of this on my refutal of other results by logical means?

As to the comparison to pedophile priests, surely the scientific community can do better than those medieval, benighted mouth-breathers in policing thier own, right?
Don't they? I think they do. The church covered up the pedophiles and let them continue, on a massive scale. Please produce an EQUAL example in science. And no, companies and government bureaucracy are not scientists.

Politics and power relations do not end at the lab door.  If one's theory is lacking, our gov't is open to all petitioners (lobbyists) and one's theory can be elevated by an act of Congress to "reality."
Again, this is not a problem of bad science. It is politicians, bureaucrats, and theocrats taking a result and interpreting it to their advantage. Scientists cannot be held responsible for what non-scientists do with the tools and knowledge produced.

"What we do, we can count on 100%."  A statement of faith as eloquent as that found in the Nicene Creed.
Eloquent does not mean wrong. One of the known observations is that correct new theories generally include correct old theories as an integral part. For example, Newton and Galilei are still right about mechanics in the special case of low velocities.

Yeah, I'm busting your spheres a bit.  Like I wrote, your presentation is idealized.  I was always a "show me" kinda guy unimpressed by theory until observation confirming it whacked me in the face.  This has served me well in my present occupation.  Still, even I must acknowledge taking some theory on faith (not really willing to see folks deliberately bombarded with high-energy particles to see their reaction).
Yes, you are steampressing my brass. My guess is we are in essential agreement, but you are even more hardcore experimentalist than I am and human imperfections tick you off even more they do me.

We do the best we can.  In 200 years even the most empirical and objective will be regarded by the majority as we regard blood-letters and alchemists today.
So you envision further improvements to the method? Please explain.

I'd like to think that our best and brightest would be the Newtons and Faradays of tomorrow.

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2006, 11:20:55 AM »
I should say first of all that I am grateful for your debating style - it is much more pleasant to argue with someone who knows how.
Likewise.

On the other hand, I am frustrated by the way we seem to be talking right past each other.
Our opinions are very different and we seem to look at the same but see different things. If we start from the same premise, the argument would be just a mathematical exercise. But, we start from different premises and that is why it may appear we do not communicate.

Fundamentally, I get your point. If we accept that the divine is everything, dissecting each cog to find it inside seems silly. That is like looking for the forest inside each tree. I get it.

My perspective is overwhelmingly mechanistic. Moving from the simple to the complex, from the cog to the machine, I prefer to track down each interaction and see what it does in the big scheme of things. As I study the machine's subsystems, I glean what the machine is about step by step. No matter how complex the machine is, or if there is an overall intent to it, that approach allows me to predict the behavior of each known subsystem and to study the unknown subsystems. I have no need for the divine to explain the workings of the known subsystems because they seem to be working by themsevles just fine based on immutable laws. It is difficult for me to see the evidence or need for religious phenomenology within this machine.

That is, that God is real and that the Christian religion is instituted by Him as the way to have a right relationship with Him.
Yes, I understand that.  

(That does leave other religions out in the cold.  We can discuss that in another thread, if you like, but I fear we would talk past each other in that one, as well)
That is a big problem, unless all religions meet and make some form of compromise that states each is a facet of the same stone. They'll likely never do that, because each believes they are righter than the others, otherwise they'd convert.

3.  It is truly unfortunate, even tragic, that many in the church took the attitude that science could be ignored and we would just believe the Bible, no matter what.  This attitude is fading, perhaps even dead in the modern, western church.  You seem to think that we are still in that mode.
Maybe it is a perceptional weightfunction, but I mostly see bible-thumpers, televangelists, Pat Robertson's, Hagee's, their younger reincarnations, and bishops and cardinals meddling in matters of state. In almost all religious arguments I have had, I have been whacked with a holy book or two.

If our religion doesn't fit the facts, we'd sure like to know.
In which case, you will modify the relevant details but will continue maintaining the fundamental statements on the basis of:"It exists until you disprove it." Therein the key difference. See below.

We no longer see science as some kind of danger to the faith, but as an ally.
Ally implies mutual need, reliance, cooperation. To function and advance, science does not need religion in any way. So, the relationship cannot be an alliance. The more accurate statement would be that such a progressive religious movement makes use of science for facts and empirical truths.

Basically, I think the fundamental key difference is still one of approach.

The scientific approach is: "We cannot be certain that something, e.g. the divine, exists until we prove it to. "
The religious approach is: "We are certain that something exists, e.g. the divine, until YOU prove it to not exist."

As we know, proving a negative is often impossible, but that does not imply it is wrong.

CAnnoneer

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2006, 01:32:41 PM »
who decided there should be clouds and electrons and then made them.
If I reverse your approach onto you, I must demand that you prove that "Nobody did." is a wrong statement.

No religion ever produced reproducibility or controlled experiments. -  Why should it?
If religious thought wants to match up to scientific inquiry, it must. You yourself said you believe in the scientific method. Then you must pony up.

No religion can predict anything.  I beg to differ.  The Bible spoke of Hittites, and archeologists eventually found evidence of them.  It told us of King David and Pontius Pilate long before their names were discovered in period inscriptions.   Then there are the actual prophecies of the Bible.  Some fulfilled, some not yet realized.
That is not a prediction, but a simple historical record. A scientific prediction is calculating what WILL happen based on immutable laws and the particular initial conditions. For example, predicting that a ball will not bounce higher than the level from which it was dropped, how far a bullet will travel, where a spacecraft must fire its engines to end up at a particular location, how to set up EM fields to make charged particles travel in certain ways etc.

What they do not understand, they call "miracle".  No.  We call miracles those things which we believe were caused by the direct intervention of God.  By that token, we understand what has happened.
This pushes into the "free will" problem. If the divine acts in every act, then there cannot be miracles or free will. If the divine does not always act, then free will and miracles might exist, but then there are "ordinary" things in which the divine has no part. If so, then why do we need the divine to explain most, even all, of the observed phenomena. It is a very slippery sloap beyond that door.

Again, why do you expect religion to help you understand how to wire your house or map the human genome?
I will reverse the question to ask: " If a belief system is incapable of making things happen and predicting natural behavior on the commonplace scale, why does it make sense that it is capable of tackling successfully far greater and more difficult problems, such as the nature of the unverse itself?" It is like saying that a sportsman is incapable of lifting 100 lbs but can juggle 300 lbs bowling pins.

Priests cannot do jack, they cannot heal, they cannot resurrect, they cannot move mountains, they cannot even fly.  Strictly speaking, I agree with you.
Yet they say they understand the unverse better than scientists do, although the latter can do all those things by use of their knowledge and tools.

My religion claims that Jesus of Nazareth rose from the dead.  This could have been proven wrong, and never has been.
How could it be proven wrong? Proving negative. Just because it cannot be proven wrong, does not mean it is right.

In fact, there is no other explanation that fits the facts.
Historical facts are related by people, who as we know can and quite often are, wrong. Here is an equally possible explanation - the "witnesses" imagined or made it up. Please disprove that possibility. If you cannot, it must be true?

I should have said they had to emerge from nothing.  Where is scientific observation on that score?
Actually the microwave cosmic background is the chief scientific evidence for the Big Bang. If you doubt it, you can measure it yourself. The CMB is uniform to a mindboggling level of accuracy.

Currently, I do not know what the "thing" was that blew up. But, that temporary ignorance does not prove the divine in any way.

Here is a simple (silly) hypothesis to think about: a cyclic universe that oscillates between expansions and contractions, with each new period starting with a bigbang. No beginning and no end. Where is the divine there? Can you prove we do not live in such? If you cannot, does this mean we do live in such?

No, we think like God.  Created in His image, and all that stuff.  Why is it bad to claim that we have some similarities to God?
Some might say that is hubris. I'd say we are weak, mortal, fallible, often ugly, sometimes sickly, etc. etc. Should we conclude that the divine shares these characteristics? If not, what do we share? Thinking patterns? Most people don't think much or well. Things don't look good for the divine.

Last I knew, that was the original basis for the concept of human rights.
They can be argued with no reference to the divine but through a simple "social contract" expedient. One might argue historically they had to be argued the other way, because royal power had been based on religious annointment.

If the machinery is set up and in motion, where is the "divine will"?  Its in the laws, the machinery.
Then why do we need the divine? It seems laws suffice. In fact that can be considered immutable traits of the unverse itself, without sentience or intent.

Does the divine will break its own laws to do something extraordinary?  Finally, you ask a good question.  Miracles do not violate natural laws.  If I am falling off a cliff and a net is there to break my fall, no laws are broken.  Gravity is not offended, it is still pulling me down.  However, my body was acted on by another force that overcame its pull until I slowed down or stopped moving.  In the same way, gravity is not cheated when an invisible divine hand catches me and lowers me gently to the Earth.
What would that "force" be? Is it a natural force? It seems you believe it is not. Then, do we need the divine for all natural forces? It seems like we do not. Then how do we know the natural is part of the divine? Also, if we cannot observe or measure that "force", how do we know it exists?

But if it is, then there is no free will.  Now THAT is a can of worms.  An all-powerful all-knowing God who created all things, how can anything escape being in His control?  Many Chrisitans do NOT believe in free will.  The Calvinists are best known for this.  The other side is typified by the Armenians.  I belong to the latter group.  So, free will is not necessarily part of this dogma.  I hope this points out to you that you dont understand the Christian doctrine you are trying to debunk.
Then the nonfreewillers have a fundamental contradiction in their doctrine concerning good and evil, while the freewillers believe the divine is limited in power and knowledge, and so run into different problems. Are these even the same religion?

Mind explaining that autocatalytic thing?  Cool word.  Are you saying that life starts itself?
If you have a soup of chemically-non-interacting nutrients and let it be for an arbitrary time in complete isolation, you'll still end up with the same soup at the later date. If you introduce a bacterium in the same soup, you will find a large colony of bacteria and a much more complex soup at the later date. In this sense, any particular step in evolution or "life-generation" would only need to happen once in the huge primordial ocean, for its consequences to propagate throughout it in a highly nonlinear, likely exponential, fashion. This self-promoting property of organisms significantly cuts down on the time required by combinatorics.

So youre admitting that scientists cannot and have not reproduced the phenomenon they claim to have such certainty of?
We have not reproduced species-formation on the large-animal scale because we cannot accelerate time (yet), do not have an entire planet to do an experiment with, and cannot yet control all parameters in a planetary environment to reproduce all conditions. But, random mutagenesis and forced evolution are now standard tools in microbiology. If what has been done with bacteria can be extrapolated to large animals, then we have.

No evidence of the existence of the divine.  Thats what I thought you meant.  You have already decided that science will explain away anything supernatural.  I thought you said science was unbiased.
I do not know if it will in the future. But, applying the method onto the current evidence produces the stated result.

No, sir.  You ignore the evidence of the fossil record.  An almost-total lack of transitional forms.  A pre-Cambrian explosion that all but screams, This all happened at once!
As best we can tell, the explosion is a reality. But it does not prove there was nothing before it, and that seems to be your conclusion. I can offer a number of alternative explanations that have nothing to do with the divine. For example, a period of particularly strong solar winds or external radiation, a radioactive asteroid, etc. etc., can significantly increase the rate of random mutagenesis in the genetic makeup of relatively small number of species, making them expand into many new ones over what seems a minute in the big scheme of things. Autocatalysis would significantly shrink the temporal requirements.

And the fossils are buried in strata that are frequently found in the wrong places for an old-earth theory of geology.  I.e., old strata on top of younger, on top of older on top of younger.
You know about tectonics and you have made an omlette in your life.

What do you mean by spontaneous creation?
Life generation by natural laws and probability, without divine intervention.

DNA contains information that tells the organism how to build itself, no?  Information does not come from out of nowhere  especially not the very complex codes of DNA.  Again, Darwins age had no concept of this.
Please prove why the DNA could not have appeared naturally and gradually reached its current length by mutagenesis and evolution. In fact, current molecular biology indicates that simpler organisms have shorter DNA and simpler biochemical mechanisms, which are often a subset of the ones found in more highly-evolved organisms.

he basis of my conclusion is reason and observation.  When confronted with various possibilities, one selects the likely explanation, not the one that is on the far edge of likelihood.  Given the difficulties that natural processes would have to overcome to make evolution work, (if one even grants that evolution can explain the irreducible complexity pointed out by Intelligent Design research) the supernatural is a better, more logical, indeed, more scientific explanation than the natural.
So IDs believe in the divine because it is the more likely? Unfortunately, they are multiplying their probability estimate by a completely unknown variable - the probability of existence of the divine itself. The inequality is strongly dependent on that value. I say it is unknown because I cannot measure it. They believe in the divine and thus assign that value to be unity. That is the trick that allows them to get a final result > mine.

Ockhams razor butchers unnecessarily complicated and convoluted theories, such as evolution.
Occam's razor cannot be applied to theories with unknown components. It simply compares the complexity of theories known component by known component. If we have two theories that are otherwise equally complex, but one of them also has an unknown component, then Occam discards the latter. The divine is the eternal wild card, that makes a theory that includes it unmeasurable by mathematics or probability.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2006, 02:22:20 PM »
If we accept that the divine is everything, dissecting each cog to find it inside seems silly. That is like looking for the forest inside each tree. I get it.
That's not what I'm saying.  The idea that "the divine is everything" is more descriptive of the Far Eastern religions or Gnosticism a la The "Gospel" of Thomas.  This is the idea that all things are emenations from the Divine, or that God is in all things.  The Near Eastern monotheisms observe a strict distinction between creator and creation.  I think the upshot of that is that we can't expect to find God lurking inside the atom or anywhere else, but we can see evidence of his handiwork in the physical universe.  See below.

I have no need for the divine to explain the workings of the known subsystems because they seem to be working by themsevles just fine based on immutable laws. It is difficult for me to see the evidence or need for religious phenomenology within this machine.
Yes, I agree that the universe functions without the need for constant Divine tinkering.  However, if I am correctly informed, the steady state theory does not seem viable these days, so there must be a point of origin.  The ID and Creation Science movements argue that natural causes are not a sufficient explanation for the existence of the universe, it's apparent order, or the existence, diversity and complexity of living things.  They further argue that some higher intelligence must have at least guided the big-bang/evolution, or created the world according to the Biblical account.

(That does leave other religions out in the cold.  We can discuss that in another thread, if you like, but I fear we would talk past each other in that one, as well)
That is a big problem, unless all religions meet and make some form of compromise that states each is a facet of the same stone. They'll likely never do that, because each believes they are righter than the others, otherwise they'd convert.
Perhaps another misunderstanding.  When one believes that one's religious scriptures are inerrant and revealed from God to man (this would describe the big three monotheisms) then compromise would be blasphemous and would in fact be deceiving one's neighbor about that most important issue, the safety of his immortal soul.  So, I hope you can understand that from my point of view, compromising my religious beliefs would in fact be an act of hatred against those I am claiming to tolerate.  In short, if you believe you have the truth, why would you compromise it?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I cant take it any more
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2006, 06:14:29 PM »
Yes, you are steampressing my brass. My guess is we are in essential agreement, but you are even more hardcore experimentalist than I am and human imperfections tick you off even more they do me.
Sort of.  I don't have a big problem with faith & revelation, as I see a whole lotta faith used by those wearing the rationalist, secular labels with pride.  Those who toot that horn many times are blind to their own faith & pieties.  I think that in addition to making them insufferable to work with, it has an impact on their effectiveness.

Yeah, I am kind of a "show me the data" guy.  Folks demand it of me & I can tend to react in kind:  What data?  How did you get it?  What algorithms?  Have they been VV'd?  and so on...  I am not lke that in non-professional relations or while going to lunch with fellows.

Human imperfections can tick me off as much as the next guy.  What really gets my goat is the person who admits no or miniscule role for human imperfection in their selves or organizations.  I have seen human flaws derail too much good work or 86 the best solutions: pride, greed, sloth, fear, etc.  The absolute worst case I have seen (in terms of effect on me & mine) was in academics, so I don't cut them any more slack than I do the time-serving bureaucratic trolls working in the Federal Department of No.

Having done some work in academe, gov't, and the private sector, don't short shrift the private sector when it comes to problem-solving.  They have to make it happen or die and some actually know what their core business is.  (OTOH, some have determined that their core business is "Process" or some other such means masquerading as an end.)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2006, 07:09:09 PM »
3.  It is truly unfortunate, even tragic, that many in the church took the attitude that science could be ignored and we would just believe the Bible, no matter what.  This attitude is fading, perhaps even dead in the modern, western church.  You seem to think that we are still in that mode.
Maybe it is a perceptional weightfunction, but I mostly see bible-thumpers, televangelists, Pat Robertson's, Hagee's, their younger reincarnations, and bishops and cardinals meddling in matters of state. In almost all religious arguments I have had, I have been whacked with a holy book or two.
Wow, we really sailed past each other on that one.  I was saying that the church, which had been at the forefront of intellectual pursuits for centuries, had for some time after Darwin, succumbed to an anti-intellectualism that simply wrote science off as being wrong.  As a result, it has become commonly accepted that science had disproven the Bible.  Recently, however, this anti-intellectualism has been beaten back, and Christians are confronting anti-Biblical theories with scientific criticism.  Hence, Christian creationism, which tests the claims of the Bible and of evolution, with science.

If our religion doesn't fit the facts, we'd sure like to know.
In which case, you will modify the relevant details but will continue maintaining the fundamental statements on the basis of:"It exists until you disprove it."
Doesn't work.  Remember what you said about the infallible church?  If it's wrong on one detail, then it could be wrong on everything else.  Well, if the Bible could be wrong in any particular, then the whole religion becomes suspect and can no longer be relied on to save the soul.  Besides, shouldn't the proper, scientific mind say, "I won't believe it until it's proven."?

We no longer see science as some kind of danger to the faith, but as an ally.
Ally implies mutual need, reliance, cooperation. To function and advance, science does not need religion in any way. So, the relationship cannot be an alliance. The more accurate statement would be that such a progressive religious movement makes use of science for facts and empirical truths.
Well, if you want to get into such nice, academic distinctions about the nature of alliances, we can call it something else.  Although, one of the points that LAK (I believe) was trying to make earlier was that Christianity was a necessary basis for science, as it supposed an orderly universe functioning according to an established, divine order.  That is, Christianity eroded superstitious and magical explanations that saw supernatural links between unrelated events.  I wouldn't argue that myself, however, as I am really not familiar with the details.  But I agree with what you said about using science to get at empirical truths.  In fact, that should be the ultimate basis for the Christian faith, as it is one that deals with statements of fact that bear on the real world.  To pick an example of a less fact-critical religion, the Islamic Koran is, for the most part, simply a list of rules and unfalsifiable statements about God, the afterlife, etc.  Such things might be true or untrue, but how would we know?

The scientific approach is: "We cannot be certain that something, e.g. the divine, exists until we prove it to. "
The religious approach is: "We are certain that something exists, e.g. the divine, until YOU prove it to not exist."
As I said, I don't see science and religion as rival systems or as two ways of doing the same thing.  I think religion should be approached on a scientific basis, and in fact the Bible speaks of this, in passages that imply that the physical world gives evidence of divine creation.  I don't think anyone should assume a divine being and hope it's not disproven.  Just as you believe in evolution, even though you can't get in a time machine and see it happening, you will stick with it until you find an explanation that makes more sense to you, that does a better job of explaining the evidence.  In the same way, one can't prove or disprove the existence of God, but so far, I can find no way around Him, for reasons already stated.  To me, naturalistic theories don't seem sufficient explanations.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2006, 09:08:22 PM »
who decided there should be clouds and electrons and then made them.
If I reverse your approach onto you, I must demand that you prove that "Nobody did." is a wrong statement.
Then just refer to the ID articles at the Discovery Institute website.  That's all ID is:  showing that evolution is so highly improbable, if not impossible, that it makes a very poor explanation.   http://www.discovery.org/csc/essentialReadings.php  

If religious thought wants to match up to scientific inquiry, it must. You yourself said you believe in the scientific method. Then you must pony up.
Again, science and religion are not trying to do the same thing.  Merriam-Webster's defines a religion as:
a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices or a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
Religion does not prove itself or prove the existence of God.  That is for science to do.  If a religion is to be proven or disproven, then its claims must be tested against the world we see around us.  

If you are expecting, however, to simply test God by telling him to move a mountain, or see what happens if you put "holy water" on a wound, then you certainly can't expect reproducible experiments.  You cannot control God like other factors in an experiment, or think that He will do what you expect.  It does seem it would be in His interest to perform miracles whenever we doubt His existence, but we can't think like Him.  Miracles don't necessarily convince people.  

More later.  I'm going to actually sleep tonight.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I cant take it any more
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2006, 11:55:47 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cosine

• Administrator
I cant take it any more
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2006, 01:20:18 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Tongue
Yeah. Sorry I woke you up prematurely. Wink
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I cant take it any more
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2006, 03:11:20 PM »
LOL...

You boys play nice now...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• friend
I cant take it any more
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2006, 07:20:57 PM »
I should have said earlier that I am not a scientist, and haven't had much scientific training since high school.  I took all the physics and math that I could in those days.  FWIW, I do mean to read more from the evolutionist point of view, but - so many books, so little time.  I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, and in threads like this I don't expect to refute complicated scientific arguments that are beyond my current grasp.  When faced with such arguments from evolutionists, I provide links to the websites of anti-Darwinist organizations so that said evolutionist can understand the creationist or ID viewpoint from the lips of trained scientists.  I do not expect to make converts on this subject.  However, I do take it upon myself to clear up the often silly misconceptions about creationism, ID, and Christianity.  And I enjoy learning how ardent evolutionists respond to creationist arguments.  This has helped me to understand the interplay of science and religion.  

That is not a prediction, but a simple historical record. A scientific prediction is calculating what WILL happen based on immutable laws and the particular initial conditions. For example, predicting that a ball will not bounce higher than the level from which it was dropped, how far a bullet will travel, where a spacecraft must fire its engines to end up at a particular location, how to set up EM fields to make charged particles travel in certain ways etc.
These are predictions, but not of the physical sciences.  When you use the word science, you seem to have in mind only the physical sciences, that concern themselves with investigating phenomenon that are indeed reproducible.  While this is sometimes possible in the social sciences, and physical sciences can contribute to these fields, social sciences such as history have different standards of proof and different methods.  

If we want to know whether Mr. Jones had murdered Mr. Smith, we can't bring Mr. Smith back to life to see if it will be Jones that murders him.  But we can collect facts about the case that establish a certain theory about the crime, beyond reasonable doubt.  Given facts a, b, c, d, e&z, we know that a1 has taken place and we deduce which variables, such as Mr. Jones, contributed to it.  

So when an ancient, or purportedly ancient, historical document describes people, cultures, buildings, etc., it makes predictions that can be investigated.  When the Book of Mormon describes very large ancient cities in North America, we look at the supposed sites of these cities.  When very few artifacts are found, and the city does not correspond with our picture of pre-Columbian America from other sources, this bodes ill for the veracity of the BoM.  

When the Bible mentions the Hittites, the city of Nazareth, King David and Pontius Pilate, it predicts that we will find evidence of at least some of these things.  (All of the above examples were people and places that skeptics complained they could find no evidence of  such evidence has since been found.)  Secular history need not agree with the Bible on all counts, though of course gross disagreement would degrade the Bible's credibility on any subject, not just history.