Author Topic: Hunting accidents and gun rights  (Read 1460 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Hunting accidents and gun rights
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
Heard this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyoSLOlglw - and it reminded me of how we're often told that shooting random innocent animals* is a good reason to have guns, but shooting two-legged critters who try to do us great bodily harm is not a good reason.

I wonder if the geniuses who give so much thought to accidents and suicides and assaults/murders committed by carry permit holders have ever thought to compare those stats with the those on hunting accidents.  ;/

*Naturally, I fully support the casual slaughter of random innocent animals. I eat them every day.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Hunting accidents and gun rights
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »
Many hunters have carry permits too.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »
People get themselves hurt in all sorts of outdoor activities.

Skis and 4-wheelers are probably more deadly than guns.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »
People get themselves hurt in all sorts of outdoor activities.

Skis and 4-wheelers are probably more deadly than guns.

But guns are made for killing!! Skis are gentle, and peace-loving.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »

But guns are made for killing!! Skis are gentle, and peace-loving.

Just wait until I come after you with a ski pole  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
Ask Sonny Bono how he feels about skis!   :O

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:29 PM »
Ask Sonny Bono how he feels about skis!   :O
Or trees  :facepalm:

I wonder how many people are killed by trees each year?  =|

Let's get rid of all the trees  >:D   =D

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 11:10:39 PM »
Or trees  :facepalm:

I wonder how many people are killed by trees each year?  =|

Let's get rid of all the trees  >:D   =D

Once a lumberjack, I guess.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 01:04:55 AM »
Heard this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyoSLOlglw - and it reminded me of how we're often told that shooting random innocent animals* is a good reason to have guns, but shooting two-legged critters who try to do us great bodily harm is not a good reason.

I wonder if the geniuses who give so much thought to accidents and suicides and assaults/murders committed by carry permit holders have ever thought to compare those stats with the those on hunting accidents.  ;/

*Naturally, I fully support the casual slaughter of random innocent animals. I eat them every day.

Generally speaking, hunting is actually one of the safest sports. And most of the injuries and deaths come from things like spraining an ankle or breaking a leg while hiking, falling out of tree stands, and heart attacks caused by physical exertion. Very few come from people shooting each other.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 01:57:50 AM »
Generally speaking, hunting is actually one of the safest sports. And most of the injuries and deaths come from things like spraining an ankle or breaking a leg while hiking, falling out of tree stands, and heart attacks caused by physical exertion. Very few come from people shooting each other.

Safest for the willing participants. =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »
I wonder what the gun stats would look like if all the shootings that were crime connected, ie: criminals shooting criminals, were removed.  In other words how often do normally law abiding people who have firearms and or CCW are involved in criminally deliberate or accidental shootings.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »
I wonder what the gun stats would look like if all the shootings that were crime connected, ie: criminals shooting criminals, were removed.  In other words how often do normally law abiding people who have firearms and or CCW are involved in criminally deliberate or accidental shootings.

Generally, just once  ;)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »

120K firearms homicides and injuries, all sources, per year.

650 ish fatal accidents per year, total. 20K Suicides.

You've got 9,500 or so homicides, maybe 500 are justifiable(?), about 8,000 with handguns.

Per CDC 2/3+ firearm homicides are "gang-related."  So controlling for "gang related" about 3,000 per year "normal" homicides.

12 million carry permit holders (not counting Con Carry OC or CC folks).

Best the VPC could come up with, using uselessly flawed counting, was <100 per year "permitted" killers, so even granting their "worst-case" you're talking statistical noise.

Couple interesting recent studies out of Chicago show that 90% of homicides and firearms assaults involve a limited number of loosely affiliated people in a very limited number of streets (not even whole neighborhoods). NYC has similar data.

Realistically, if you could control for criminal history and/or criminal association we'd have a "gun crime rate" as low as anyone.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."