Author Topic: Stunned and amazed  (Read 2384 times)

castle key

• friend
Stunned and amazed
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
The lawn mower actually fired up for the first time without too much aggravation!!

The string trimmer uses 2 stroke fuel; is it ok to put fuel stabilizer into 2 stroke fuel? I put it in the can for the 4 stroke machines.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Stunned and amazed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 12:16:13 PM »
Yes, you can use fuel stabilizer in 2-stroke fuel.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »
Ace Hardware (and probably others) sells ~1 liter cans of pre-mixed (in various ratios) 2-stroke fuel which has stabilizers also premixed in.  Apparently these have a long shelf life and the cans of it don't leak.  As an experiment I kept one can in my car in all kinds of hot and cold weather without a single sniff of leaking fuel from the can.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:54:25 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:00:05 PM »
^ But you're paying $28 / gallon for that.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »
Yeah my riding mower popped right off  :O

Got sick last fall and didn't get a chance to drain the tank and run it out of gas.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
The lawn mower actually fired up for the first time without too much aggravation!!

Mine too!

Particularly amazed me, as the wheelbarrow and tarp blew off of it sometime this winter, and I've no idea how many times it got snowed on. The string trimmer was indoors, but it won't start. I may have neglected to stabilize the fuel, last season.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Stunned and amazed
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »
I ditched my 12yo gas mower and trimmer in the fall and went electric with cord.

Works great as the mower is a fraction of the weight as before and my 9yo sone can push it while i do other stuff in the yard.  Daughter is too small at 8yo and tiny but she works cord management for my son.

Yard is small enough for electric to be practical.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »

Mine too!

Particularly amazed me, as the wheelbarrow and tarp blew off of it sometime this winter, and I've no idea how many times it got snowed on. The string trimmer was indoors, but it won't start. I may have neglected to stabilize the fuel, last season.

And mine.  I was even impressed my totally unnecessary electric start kicked it right over.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »
I ditched my 12yo gas mower and trimmer in the fall and went electric with cord.

Works great as the mower is a fraction of the weight as before and my 9yo sone can push it while i do other stuff in the yard.  Daughter is too small at 8yo and tiny but she works cord management for my son.

Yard is small enough for electric to be practical.

I've been using an electric mower for my townhouse yard for the last 12 years.  Same mower too.  Front yard is about 10'x40'.  Back yard is 20x30ish.  The only maintenance is receives is a once or twice a season hosing-down and a blade sharpening once a season or so.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »
I always figured cord management would make an electric lawn mower really aggravating. Is it pretty much like using a corded vacuum cleaner?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 05:33:56 PM »
I always figured cord management would make an electric lawn mower really aggravating. Is it pretty much like using a corded vacuum cleaner?

Pretty much.  It's a minor annoyance the first few times, but once you get used to it, you don't notice it.  The lack of noise, maintenance, and need to store gas and oil more than offset the need to manage a cord while mowing.

I wouldn't use one for a large yard, but it works well for my tiny yard.

Chris

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Stunned and amazed
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »

Yep.  The cord can aggrivate at times.  But you develop a system that minimizes flipping it around.

On the upside it is about a third the weight of a gasser.  No way was my son able to use the 6hp self propelled beast.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 07:37:32 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-SPCM1936-Self-Propelled-Removable/dp/B004JMZH3A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399246502&sr=8-2&keywords=black+and+decker+cordless+mower

I went to my cordless B&D 36 volt mower a couple of years ago and have nothing but praise for it.  And this was after decades of owning various gas-powered lawn mowers.  It accommodates the often wet and thick grass of my 6000 SQ FT Seattle-area lot just fine. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »
We had an electric mower once - well, it went with a house we were renting.

I got so frustrated with it that I went out and bought a $99 (back then  ;/ ) 3.5 hp basic B&S mower.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »
How well would one of those electric mowers work on 600'+ of extension cord?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 10:32:46 PM »
How well would one of those electric mowers work on 600'+ of extension cord?

Probably better than a tractor would work in my yard.

Chris

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
Growing up, we had an electric mower. Once I started mowing, the frequent cost of new cords offset any savings.  :facepalm:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 11:22:50 PM »
My mower is a 33hp tractor with a finishing mower on the 3pt hitch. The little 3cyl Yanmar fires up every time right away...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 12:12:11 AM »
Pretty much.  It's a minor annoyance the first few times, but once you get used to it, you don't notice it.  The lack of noise, maintenance, and need to store gas and oil more than offset the need to manage a cord while mowing.

I wouldn't use one for a large yard, but it works well for my tiny yard.

Chris

This sums it up.

I was due a new mower or a rebuild of the motor at the least so it is not like I up and dropped a serviceable gasser.  Last year it needed ether to turn over and get rolling and it had started to burn oil.  I maintained it well, it just was at the end of its service life.

And my gas trimmer was shot, too.

A 14ga Yellowjacket 100' cord that I have owned for 10 years allows access to all the property.  Thus far neither I nor my son have run over the cord. 

I like the lack of noise with the electric.  Gas lawn equipment sure could use more effective mufflers.  And not having to mess with the fuel or fuel/gas mix.  I also have a man-powered push mower with the swirly blades I use to sort of pre-trim for my son.  He is not yet at the "manicured lawn" level of finish and expertise.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:26 AM »
If you have a really small yard then one of those rechargeable cordless electric mowers might be just the thing  =)

I think the trick to cord management is start next to the house and go back and forth as the cord plays out between the mower and the house(plug in).

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »
If you have a really small yard then one of those rechargeable cordless electric mowers might be just the thing  =)

I think the trick to cord management is start next to the house and go back and forth as the cord plays out between the mower and the house(plug in).

My experience with high capacity rechargeable batteries is such that I found the cord option superior.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
I hire a guy to mow my lawn.  3/4 acre of grass, and I don't care what he uses.   =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 08:45:30 AM »
Lawn-boy brand oil has fuel stabilizer in it.

I got a Lawn-Boy 2cycle mower, 12 seasons old. I used last years gas in the mower and from the gas can, filled the tank, dumped in a few ounces of Seafoam, turned the gas one, primed about six times and she fired on the 2nd pull. Mowed the yard.

I use Seafoam every year on the first tank of the season on all my 2 cycle engines. Usually run it in my boat most of the season unless I am going through a lot of fuel. A lot of fuel means 6 or more gallons on a weekend. My big motor is a 25 hp so I can run all day on 6 gallons.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 12:16:36 AM »
My preferred tool for edging is Glyphosate. My 3 gallon "weed eater" is just about right.  If I let it get out of hand the 25 gallon tank sprayer is my backup.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams