Author Topic: ATF accidentally allowing newly manufactured machineguns?  (Read 9164 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
ATF accidentally allowing newly manufactured machineguns?
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
Trying to avoid drive-by posting here. ATF may have dun goofed up. Of course, they could just decide otherwise as soon as this is brought to their attention. What does APS think?

http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/05/14/did-atfs-determination-on-nics-checks-open-the-door-for-manufacture-of-new-machineguns-for-trusts/

Summary & more comments, reblogging first link here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/05/foghorn/atf-may-accidentaly-thrown-open-machine-gun-registry/

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:51:23 PM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

brimic

• friends
Re: ATF accidentally allowing newly manufactured machineguns?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 04:11:09 PM »
The ATF may have accidentally stepped on their collective johnson, but that doesn't mean they will uphold a mistake they made in our favor.

They have no constitutional backing for making laws anyway, they need to be all fired.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:13:27 PM »
The ATF may have accidentally stepped on their collective johnson, but that doesn't mean they will uphold a mistake they made in our favor.

They have no constitutional backing for making laws anyway, they need to be all fired.
This.

They'll stop allowing any transfers to trusts before interpreting this the way we want.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »
Yup.

Don't ever expect we'll see an error in our favor from those guys.  =|

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »
Every once in a while there's a fellow who thinks he's found a dot or jot or comma in the law that lets it be interpreted in some way forcing the government to completely alter its practices (sometimes, but not always, in a way that's totally different from how the lawmaker obviously intended).

This never actually works out for said fellow.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »
Quite often said fellow never intends to do it himself but rather encourage someone else to. Ala the penguins crowding the edge of the ocean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »
Well, we can see if the ATF allows the transfer of the "new" mini-gun.

[popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »
The real question is whether or not the flag in the courtroom where the first person to try this gets sent to pound me in the ass prison has gold fringe or not. Cause that totally invalidates it you guys.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
Ennnhhhh.  At this point all they did was fill out a form and mail it in with a check.    Like I said:  [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
Ennnhhhh.  At this point all they did was fill out a form and mail it in with a check.    Like I said:  [popcorn]

The BATFE has a delightfully archaic, red-ink "DISAPPROVED" stamp.  It looks like this:

The gentleman in question with a mini-gun registration in the works?  I believe he will get to experience it first hand.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »
Meh. Legal Eagle's logic fails in their own quotations. The ruling about trust transfers may have muddled the transfer issue a bit, but the possession side of things is still pretty clear.

Trust may or may not be able to have a MG transferred to it (doubt it :angel:), but a person will still get nailed for possessing it.

ETA: Additionally, the legal definition of "firearm" varies between the GCA and the NFA for the purposes of each law or section of the Code. Does this guy really think the ATF won't say the definition of "person" does too?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:12:05 PM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »
Meh. Legal Eagle's logic fails in their own quotations. The ruling about trust transfers may have muddled the transfer issue a bit, but the possession side of things is still pretty clear.

Trust may or may not be able to have a MG transferred to it (doubt it :angel:), but a person will still get nailed for possessing it.

ETA: Additionally, the legal definition of "firearm" varies between the GCA and the NFA for the purposes of each law or section of the Code. Does this guy really think the ATF won't say the definition of "person" does too?

The possession side is take into account.  The trust owns it, its never "possessed" by a user.  The same way you can rent an MG at a range.

Also, they aren't looking at transferring, but rather construction. 

Who knows of it would work, the ATF will just change the rules, but their logic right now is sound.

GCA prohibits persons from possessing.
ATF says trusts aren't persons, thus require NICS on a person.
NFA says trusts can posses.
Basically, the "loophole" is because the ATF wants to non-legislatively require NICS on trusts, by saying they aren't "persons", and the MG legislation only prohibits "persons" (and doesn't have the language the NFA does that calls out other entities as equivalent to persons)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 12:44:46 PM »
The possession side is take into account.  The trust owns it, its never "possessed" by a user.  The same way you can rent an MG at a range.

Also, they aren't looking at transferring, but rather construction. 

Who knows of it would work, the ATF will just change the rules, but their logic right now is sound.

GCA prohibits persons from possessing.
ATF says trusts aren't persons, thus require NICS on a person.
NFA says trusts can posses.
Basically, the "loophole" is because the ATF wants to non-legislatively require NICS on trusts, by saying they aren't "persons", and the MG legislation only prohibits "persons" (and doesn't have the language the NFA does that calls out other entities as equivalent to persons)

Ayep. Logically speaking, that should end run Hughes Amendment and open the door for new full autos. Reality is, BATFE will rule that they can have their cake and eat it too. NICS for trusts and no new transferable MGs either.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »
Ayep. Logically speaking, that should end run Hughes Amendment and open the door for new full autos. Reality is, BATFE will rule that they can have their cake and eat it too. NICS for trusts and no new transferable MGs either.

Which will be (eventually) a good lawsuit, and actually, possibly a good way to bring up that their interpretation definitely violates equal protection (which is the flaw of the Hughes amendment).

If the ATF does a CYA rule, it formalizes that it IS not equal protection, and thus opens the door for a lawsuit, which is likely why that law firm wants to test it.

In a way, I kinda like this, it either negates the Hughes amendment or (if someone tries to new register a newly manufactured via form 1 and a trust) creates a situation that has standing to challenge the Hughes amendment, which wasn't possible before, as there wasn't a letter of the law way to attempt a form 1 that didn't conflict with the "person" aspect.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 05:26:53 PM »
Guy submitted a Form 1 for new manufacture full auto under the "trusts aren't persons" rubric, ATF approved it! And then promptly said "oops never mind we didn't mean to send you that stamp." May be shaping up as a test case...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1624460_ATF_ruling_may_have_accidentally_opened_door_to_new_machine_guns_PAGE_9_Form_1_APPROVED.html

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 10:51:29 PM »
Guy submitted a Form 1 for new manufacture full auto under the "trusts aren't persons" rubric, ATF approved it! And then promptly said "oops never mind we didn't mean to send you that stamp." May be shaping up as a test case...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1624460_ATF_ruling_may_have_accidentally_opened_door_to_new_machine_guns_PAGE_9_Form_1_APPROVED.html

Cool.  I lurves me some test cases.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 11:01:03 PM »

If I won the lottery, I'd troll the batfe  with applications to manufacture machine guns and include a mechaical drawing of a shoestring or a spring.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 12:26:23 AM »
Cheaper to buy a Congrecriter  >:D

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »
Sounds like at least 100 new stamps for full autos were issued then they tried to revoke them. Class action suit is in the works. F-troop is now responding with this when they deny Form 1's for new full auto.

Quote from: BATFEIOIO
THE FACT THAT AN UNINCORPORATED TRUST IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE DEFINITION OF "PERSON" UNDER THE GCA DOES NOT

MEAN THAT AN INDIVIDUAL MAY AVOID LIABILITY UNDER SECTION 922(O) BY PLACING A MACHINEGUN "IN TRUST."

CONSEQUENTLY, IN TERMS OF AN UNINCORPORATED TRUST, ATF MUST DISREGARD SUCH A NON-ENTITY UNDER THE GCA AND

CONSIDER THE INDIVIDUAL ACTING ON BEHALF OF THE TRUST TO BE THE PROPOSED MAKER/POSSESSOR OF THE

MACHINEGUN.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »
Sounds like at least 100 new stamps for full autos were issued then they tried to revoke them. Class action suit is in the works. F-troop is now responding with this when they deny Form 1's for new full auto.

"The hell with the law, we know whats we know!"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
Here's an audio recording of the ATF ordering one of the people set to receive an approved Form 1 to return it. Lol, good luck with that ATF, homie will be returning it directly to his lawyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s9GKoxnGcM&feature=youtu.be

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »
Here's an audio recording of the ATF ordering one of the people set to receive an approved Form 1 to return it. Lol, good luck with that ATF, homie will be returning it directly to his lawyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s9GKoxnGcM&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately Private Citizen Homie is now on the path to becoming Inmate Homie from a felony wiretapping conviction.  Posting prima facie evidence on a social media site just saves the BATFE the inconvenience of gathering evidence. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:21:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
Unfortunately Private Citizen Homie is now on the path to becoming Inmate Homie from a felony wiretapping conviction.  Posting prima facie evidence on a social media site just saves the BATFE the inconvenience of gathering evidence. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Brad

Under the laws of which state?  Those laws and the laws recording LEOs performing their duties have opened up quite a bit the last few years. 

Especially WRT the latter, courts have found very little to bar folk from recording LEOs while they are performing their duties. 

Do you know of any confounding factors such as neither party being aware the recording was taking place?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
State regs apply only to intrastate calls. In Texas, for example, it's okay for a call to be recorded if at least one party directly involved in the conversation is aware the recording is taking place. It's reasonable to presume this was an interstate call so federal wiretapping regs apply. They stipulate that all parties in the conversation must be made aware of the recording. Also, the relaxed recording of LEOs deals with IRL situations, not phone calls.

Recording/videotaping LEOs in real life = okay. Recording an interstate phone call, any phone call, without both parties being fully aware of the recording = felony.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:39:53 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »
Pretty sure he said in the thread Balog linked to that he was in a one party state, West Virginia is a one party state and Federal law requires consent of a single party.  What felony did he commit?