Author Topic: If you like your McDonald's fries, you can keep them.  (Read 4702 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
If you like your McDonald's fries, you can keep them.
« on: May 15, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »
I know a couple o' folks 'round here are worried that McDonald's is going to change their fry recipe.

Fear not.

Because I make a point of eating at the Golden Arches every time the fast food workers strike for $15 wages, your dutiful correspondent was there today, and I tried the new seasoned fries. As you may know, this is a new menu item being floated in just a couple of markets, mine being one of them.

In short, not much to write to APS about.   =|

When I heard the term "seasoned fries," I thought they were going to, ya know, cook the fries with some extra flavor or spice, or something. I thought they'd taste like curly fries. Nope. There is a choice of three flavors; Garlic Parmesan, Ranch, and Buffalo. None of those flavors appeal to me, but I thought maybe the Parmesan would have enough garlic to be worth trying. It did not. I don't usually like cheese on my fries, and I just don't like Parmesan. I ate maybe five of the fries, and gave up. Luckily, I had only seasoned half of them.

That's where the stupid, but intelligent, part comes in. The fries aren't prepared any differently from standard McD's fries. Instead, you pay extra for a paper bag and a packet of seasoning. So if you want the extra flavor, you have to put your fries in a bag, pour in the stuff, and shake. Now, maybe I'm lazy, but laziness is a big reason for the existence of fast food. Not to mention that much of it is eaten in vehicles, so a lot of people just wont' want the extra mess. I doubt most people getting something to scarf at the Golden Arches really want to go to the trouble of flavoring their own fries.

So I don't think this idea is going to go over all that well, and may not even make it out of the test markets. On the other hand, the intelligent bit is that this is probably the easiest, cheapest menu addition in fast food history. If it is a menu addition, and not just introducing another condiment. It may never be all that popular, but it's not that big of an investment, either. So maybe it's here to stay.

But don't worry. They haven't changed their fries.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: If you like your McDonald's fries, you can keep them.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »
Only two things I can stomach at McDonalds are the Unsweet tea, McWraps and the fries.  Everything else  [barf]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:42:26 PM »
I've given up on McDonald's since they got rid of their Hot Mustard sauce.  I used put that stuff on everything.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:59:50 PM »
Doesn't sound like the new fries are gonna last. I agree - too much trouble for fast food.

McDs is my goto for food I eat while I drive, because they put so little sauce and stuff on their burgers that I don't have to worry about getting it all over me while I'm driving. For stopping at a fast food place or grabbing to take home, I prefer the In 'N Out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »
I prefer the In 'N Out.

Don't we all...

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »
I brought my Parmesan fries home with me. The dog at them right up.

So somebody likes them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 11:35:43 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:37 AM »
Everytime I go to a gunshow I always stop at McDonalds and get an egg mcmuffin with orange juice and eat it on the go.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 05:58:02 AM »
Fistful --

Thank you for your service. Now I do not have to go through all that.

I do confess to liking McD's sausage and egg breakfast burritos drenched in hot sauce. However, the last time I had a couple they were about half size and I saw no sausage.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:22:12 AM »
I do confess to liking McD's sausage and egg breakfast burritos drenched in hot sauce.

They are my not-so-secret vice.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 10:01:41 AM »
Maybe they should go back to cooking them in pork fat.  It is all vegatable oil these days.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
Maybe they should go back to cooking them in pork fat.  It is all vegatable oil these days.

"To dream the impossible dream..."

Where's the pleading desperately emoticon when you need it? :'(
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »

That makes the vegetarians unhappy.  We had a local Seattle counsel file a precedent-setting lawsuit regarding McDonald's using some type of 'beef extract' or 'beef flavoring' derived from animal sources in the french fry cooking fat.  This was sufficient to make the fries non-vegetarian and a lawsuit ensured.  As part of the settlement, McDonald's stopped using that ingredient.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mcdonalds-settles-beef-over-fries/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »
That makes the vegetarians unhappy.  We had a local Seattle counsel file a precedent-setting lawsuit regarding McDonald's using some type of 'beef extract' or 'beef flavoring' derived from animal sources in the french fry cooking fat.  This was sufficient to make the fries non-vegetarian and a lawsuit ensured.  As part of the settlement, McDonald's stopped using that ingredient.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mcdonalds-settles-beef-over-fries/

Were the fries required to be vegetarian? ???
Can I sue them because they changed it to vegetarian? >:D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »
Were the fries required to be vegetarian? ???

No, but they were labeled as such, so it was false advertisement.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 12:00:45 AM »
I brought my Parmesan fries home with me. The dog at them right up.

So somebody likes them.

The last time I gave my dog left over McDonald's food* she spent 20 minutes licking her butt trying to get the taste out of her mouth.

* the wife brought it home.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 12:43:30 AM »
No, but they were labeled as such, so it was false advertisement.

Yup, really pissed off a vegetarian friend of mine.  It also cut down on the places we could all eat together.

Chris

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »
We have an African Grey at work who has a thing for carbs. Loved McDonalds french fries, but when they changed the cooking oils, Tiger didn't want them anymore.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »

>buying dogcrap corporate fast food
>thinking it's good
>thinking it's edible
>not supporting local fast food joint

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »

>thinking it's good
>thinking it's edible

Corporate FF isn't the best, but it's generally consistent and known.  "local" joints vary wildly in quality and aren't always any better than the Corporate stuff.  Local != Good every time.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 10:06:45 PM »
Yup, really pissed off a vegetarian friend of mine.  It also cut down on the places we could all eat together.

Chris
Why would a vegetarian eat at McD's?  Why would a hamburger joint care what vegetarians think?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »
Why would a vegetarian eat at McD's?  Why would a hamburger joint care what vegetarians think?

Because she's not a jerk who insists we all cater to her needs as the sole vegetarian in the group.  She felt she could eat there because there was no mention of the fries being cooked in animal fat.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 11:29:24 PM »

>thinking it's good
>thinking it's edible

Uh, OK, you wrote a bunch of stuff in green, with carats or something in front of it. Not sure what that formatting is supposed to mean.

I guess you're supposed to be criticizing people for not eating "local" fast food, as if that were even an option in most cases?

If it wasn't my half-hour lunch break, I could go to the Chuck-A-Burger drive-in down the street from where I live. It's about the closest thing I can think of to this mythical "local fast food." They DO make a mean burger, and will put cherry flavor in your Dr. Pepper, if you like that sort of thing. I love that place. But it's not fast food, if I have to drive half-an-hour out of the way to get there. 

It would be nice if the corner drug store had a lunch counter I could patronize during my lunch break, but - it's a Walgreens. =|

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 01:48:22 AM »

Uh, OK, you wrote a bunch of stuff in green, with carats or something in front of it. Not sure what that formatting is supposed to mean.

I guess you're supposed to be criticizing people for not eating "local" fast food, as if that were even an option in most cases?

If it wasn't my half-hour lunch break, I could go to the Chuck-A-Burger drive-in down the street from where I live. It's about the closest thing I can think of to this mythical "local fast food." They DO make a mean burger, and will put cherry flavor in your Dr. Pepper, if you like that sort of thing. I love that place. But it's not fast food, if I have to drive half-an-hour out of the way to get there. 

It would be nice if the corner drug store had a lunch counter I could patronize during my lunch break, but - it's a Walgreens. =|

Some folks derive a sense of superiority from looking down on those that eat fast food, or shop at Walmart etc.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Re: If you like your McDonald's fries, you can keep them.
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 02:17:10 AM »

>thinking it's good
>thinking it's edible

>mfw I see this on aps
>mfw I have no face
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog