Author Topic: Military Unit Nomenclature/Numbering Systems  (Read 21167 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Military Unit Nomenclature/Numbering Systems
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 08:03:23 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Carebear, that is so wrong.
If assisting fellow "Navy family" family members in their times of loneliness is wrong, I don't wanna be right. Wink

Did a Battle Griffen in Norway.  Figured out when the liberated Norgie girls showered at the communal facility in Elvesgarmon.  They didn't mind the company. Smiley

Euros are so healthy and well-adjusted when it comes to things like that.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Al Lowe

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 11:08:32 AM »
There's a joke about Gays and the Navy, but I can't tell it, I'll get in trouble. Wink

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 11:12:44 AM »
You mean it's a joke?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Al Lowe

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 11:21:45 AM »
Quote from: fistful
You mean it's a joke?
I was trying to be nice. Cheesy

13thCavalry

Re: Military Unit Nomenclature/Numbering Systems
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 07:26:56 PM »
  I came across this in the forum and just think this should be added for people wanting more elaboration on the 2nd part of the question. Especially since a lot of Army units were used as examples.

Units in fraction form at least in the Army have a Headquarters within the Regiment such as 4/5 Cavalry Regiment. A regiment numbered with a hyphen does not have a Headquarters within the Regiment. Such as the Cavalry Regiment i was in, 2-13 Cavalry Regiment. Another example is the 1-77 AR BN "Insiste Firmiter", does not have an HQ. The 77th Armored Regiment is one of few units that is both a battalion and a Regiment at the same time. A product of the Army reorganization that took place few years back.

13th Cavalry "It Shall Be Done"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 10:18:09 PM »
Never mind -- I just woke up and noticed that this is a necro-thread.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
  I came across this in the forum and just think this should be added for people wanting more elaboration on the 2nd part of the question. Especially since a lot of Army units were used as examples.

Units in fraction form at least in the Army have a Headquarters within the Regiment such as 4/5 Cavalry Regiment. A regiment numbered with a hyphen does not have a Headquarters within the Regiment. Such as the Cavalry Regiment i was in, 2-13 Cavalry Regiment. Another example is the 1-77 AR BN "Insiste Firmiter", does not have an HQ. The 77th Armored Regiment is one of few units that is both a battalion and a Regiment at the same time. A product of the Army reorganization that took place few years back.

I managed to get the Battalion Commander of 5-77 Armor fired one REFORGER....(truth be told, he actually did it to himself.   I'm just the one that got to tell the MG Waller what happened.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

markdido

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »
Sometimes, Fistful, the truth just hurts.

I've boffed more than one squid's significant other, but no squid has ever boffed one of mine.

Deal with it.

Another glass of Beaujolais and I promise to be much wittier and charming.

Maybe that because squids aren't into same sex, sex?

Well, maybe the sub guys.
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
I managed to get the Battalion Commander of 5-77 Armor fired one REFORGER....(truth be told, he actually did it to himself.   I'm just the one that got to tell the MG Waller what happened.)

I need to hear this story.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 05:13:24 PM »
Not much to tell.  8th ID was leading the V Corps counterattack with all 6 Armor Battalion Task Forces doing a passage of lines through 2nd Armored Division.  It was the middle of the night when 5-77 Armor came up a TCP that I happened to be checking on forward of the FLOT, and when my NCO attempted to direct them to the correct road, the Battalion Commander started yelling at him that he knew where he was going.   I tried to explain to him that he was about to head off in the wrong direction when he stated.  "Lieutenant, do you how much damage this M1 would sustain if I ran you over ??  Absolutely none."

"Roger that, Sir."  And we moved out of his way.  

After we got all the other battalions passed through 2nd Armored Division, I had to go back and debrief the 8th ID commander, MG Calvin Waller* (who later became LTG Waller and Schwarzkopf's Deputy during Desert Storm#) as to the passage of lines and the status of the counter-attack.  

He was ready to rip my head off and *expletive deleted*it down my neck because TF 5-77 was not in position and not attacking, and it was obviously the enlisted MPs manning the TCPs fault.   Until I explained, that I was there and what the Commander said to me.    He then leaned over to one of his aides and *almost* quietly said.  "Bring me the scalp of the commander of 5-77."

At that point, my debrief was done, I quickly left the Division TOC and the area...

:O :O :O :O :O  

# I would have follow MG Waller through the gates of hell in gasoline soaked underoos.  He was very much like GEN Mattis, before there was a GEN Mattis.  

* -Simply because Waller was one of the few people able to handle Schwarzkopf and his temper.  They were good friends from when Schwarzkopf was BG and ADC for 8th ID and Waller a COL, and commanding 1st Brigade, 8th ID.

From PBS Frontline.  An Oral History of the 1991 Gulf War:
Q: When you arrived in the headquarters, General Schwarzkopf, it's no secret, had an explosive temper. What was morale like in that regard?

Waller:   Well first of all the staff officers were very, very timid .. now you have to bear in mind that General Schwarzkopf was by himself, he had no deputy at that time - he had a chief of staff and other staff officers but he didn't have another senior officer to relieve him of a lot of the responsibility, so he was doing all of the political things that he had to do and he was doing all of the tactical things, so it was incumbent upon me to walk in and try to relieve him of some of those tactical things that needed to be done and leave him to the political entities, but I will tell you that the staff officers appeared to be timid, a little bit like walking around on eggshells, they were very reluctant to give bad news to General Schwarzkopf, for fear that they would cause some minor eruption, and therein was a problem, to make sure that staff officers did not fear saying what needed to be said so that we could get to the bottom of all those issues.

Q: So you found yourself becoming an intermediary between General Schwarzkopf and officers with bad news.....?

Waller:   Well, you know, a lot of people have said that the reason why General Cal Waller was sent to Saudi Arabia was to keep General Schwarzkopf at peace with the staff and with the commanders. You know, if that is the truth, no-one ever instructed me that that's the reason why I was being sent to Saudi Arabia or to Riyadh, I was told by General Powell, as well as by the Army Chief of Staff that I was going to Saudi Arabia because of my experience as a ground combat commander and that I was going there to assist General Schwarzkopf with the combat operation since the President had recently made a decision to increase the number of forces there by over 100,000 when it was decided that VII Corps coming out of Germany would be moved from Europe, NATO countries, into Saudi Arabia, so I went there for ground combat and for combat operations more than I did for trying to keep General Schwarzkopf on an even keel. Now it just so happened that that was my fourth time working for General Schwarzkopf and we were friends and had known each other for years and I certainly understood what was required in working with Norman Schwarzkopf.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:33:21 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 07:47:45 PM »
as far as that interview answer at the bottom, I HOPE someday I am that smooth.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »

At that point, my debrief was done, I quickly left the Division TOC and the area...

:O :O :O :O :O 

It is always fun to be the one to do that.  Only I usually try to stick around if possible to watch the fireworks.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »
as far as that interview answer at the bottom, I HOPE someday I am that smooth.

He was one helluva leader.  Got pissed off when on his first time out in the field, they started to lay out the Division China from him to eat breakfast.  He told his staff to take it back to garrison and he never wanted to see it in the field again.  He then went out to visit one of the maneuver battalions, went to the back of the chow line and waited for everyone else to be fed.  Drew an MRE from the box at random from the pile and paid for his meals.   Same if they were having Hot A's for dinner, otherwise he drew (paid for and ate) an MRE.

First time I briefed him was when we were out in the field for Caravan Guard.  He looked at me, said "You're new to my Division, how long have you been here, and why haven't I met you?" 

"Less then 48 hours, Sir.  I signed in at 2130 the night before last."

"Good Brief LT.  I expect to see you at the Division Hail and Farewell when we get back to garrison."

"Roger that, sir."

Apparently, I was the first MP platoon leader to go to a Division H&F, normally we just went to either a brigade or DISCOM H&F. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.