Author Topic: We probably infected the Martians  (Read 1264 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
We probably infected the Martians
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2014/05/21/curiosity-rover-may-have-carried-bacterial-life-to-mars/#.U386Bs914TV

We humans are known to be pretty generous with our germs. Just as the transatlantic explorers of old unknowingly brought diseases with them to the so-called New World, it turns out NASA sent the Curiosity rover to Mars with its own germs — 377 strains of 65 bacteria species, to be exact, according to a recent analysis of swabs taken before the rover launched.

The discovery will go toward making future missions cleaner, as well as revealing a little more about the crazy stuff life can endure.

A Buggy Rover

Despite the rigorous scrubbing all NASA machinery gets before launching, it’s inevitable that some bacteria will persist. After Curiosity’s cleaning (which admittedly could have gone a little better) researchers swabbed the car-sized rover’s surfaces to see what bacteria they might have missed. And a few of the stowaways seem likely to have survived the trip to Mars. As a Nature News story puts it:

Most were related to the genus Bacillus. In the lab, scientists exposed the microbes to desiccation, UV exposure, cold and pH extremes. Nearly 11 percent of the 377 strains survived more than one of these severe conditions. Thirty-one per cent of the resistant bacteria did not form tough, protective spore coats; the researchers suspect that they used other biochemical means of protection, such as metabolic changes.

It's just continuing in the tradition of Columbus and all those other explorers, so what does it matter now?

So now not only will we be facing death rays, we're going to be covered in alien snot, too.

Way to go, Scientists!

Adding insult to injury - from a comment:
So: scientists analyzed swabs in 2013 or 2014 for a rocket launched in 2011. Very timely!"
Seems like these scientists could easily qualify to get jobs in the VA system.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Pb

• friend
Re: We probably infected the Martians
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
Terraforming mars is a really really cool idea... I hope it happens.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »

It is not easy to sterilize things outside of an enclosed space. Sterilizing sensitive scientific rigs is extremely hard.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
I think I saw a couple aliens at Walmart the other day. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
OMG!  There's life on Mars!

Now . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »
I'd of thought that eight and a half months of cold and radiation would've ...scoured(?)the bugs clean.
jeff w

I like onions!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »
Here little green fella, how about a nice fuzzy blanket?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »
It is not easy to sterilize things outside of an enclosed space. Sterilizing sensitive scientific rigs is extremely hard.

And examination of the Hubble constant and the COBE and WMAP data show the universe is "open" too. So no luck there.

Sorry Berserkers.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
I'd of thought that eight and a half months of cold and radiation would've ...scoured(?)the bugs clean.
No, that will just mutate them so that when/if they return to Earth, we will have a Blob to deal with.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »
Can we send grass seed, pigs and cows so when we finally get there we can have meat?  To include bacon....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »

Pointy. <wry grin>

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »

I larfed  =D