Author Topic: Santa Barbara killing spree - another freak seeking attention.  (Read 7583 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Bunch of folks shot and/or killed, and the alleged shooter left a video announcing that we would kill a bunch of people, because girls didn't like him. Now they know that he is "the true alpha male."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/24/315425094/shooting-near-uc-santa-barbara-leaves-3-dead

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/24/extreme-caution-this-frightening-youtube-video-may-be-the-manifesto-of-santa-barbara-mass-slayer/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Santa Barbara killing spree - another freak seeking attention.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
What was the word coined in that recent case of a different poor little rich kid who always got what he wanted? Oh yeah -- "affluenza."

This little [expletive deleted] is the flip side of that. He seems to think he had a right to get laid. I'm sure it never occurred to him that women weren't throwing themselves at him because he was weird.

I can think of several words to describe this twerp, but if I use them I'll get banned from this site.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »
I can think of several words to describe this twerp, but if I use them I'll get banned from this site.

So you want *us* to get banned for imagining them??   :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »
What drugs were involved?

(One must ask, after all.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »
It now appears his parent called police with concerns shortly before the spree. They state he had no "gun history", so no action was taken. It also appears some deaths / injuries were by car, not by gun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
So you want *us* to get banned for imagining them??   :laugh:

Works for me ...  >:D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
Seven dead including the shooter, shot to the head.  Cops are not sure if he committed suicide after he crashed his car, or was shot by the cops.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 09:38:51 PM »
He iswas the son of an assistant director in Hollywood.  Yahoo news says they are strict gun control advocates.  I'd be willing to bet they are also libprogs and democrats.  They saw his film two weeks ago and called the police.  Police interviewed the kid and stated he was a "perfectly polite, kind and wonderful human,"
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »
Now it appears three of the dead, his roomates, were stabbed to death. So knife, gun, car all used. The only "we have to do something" cries at the moment are of course of the "ban guns" variety. Probably by people who don't own guns, but own knives and cars.

I have never been exposed to people with severe mental illness, so I may speak from naivety, but the kid's final video seems more like a really bad farce or imitation of a B, or more likely C or D movie actor, with the forced maniacal laugh, etc. No doubt he was off his rocker, but if I would have watched the video pre this tragedy, without knowing any of the kid's history, I would have thought it was simply a poorly done, poor taste, social media joke.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 10:21:39 PM »
He iswas the son of an assistant director in Hollywood.  Yahoo news says they are strict gun control advocates.  I'd be willing to bet they are also libprogs and democrats.  They saw his film two weeks ago and called the police.  Police interviewed the kid and stated he was a "perfectly polite, kind and wonderful human,"

Because, of course, police officers all have advanced training in clinical psychology. Who else would you call?

The real question is why the police thought for even a nanosecond that they even might be qualified to assess the kid's degree of risk/threat ... especially based on one interview.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 10:29:04 PM »
For all the trouble nutball went to, he could have arranged several trips to Nevada and bought some action with cash. 

Because, of course, police officers all have advanced training in clinical psychology. Who else would you call?

The real question is why the police thought for even a nanosecond that they even might be qualified to assess the kid's degree of risk/threat ... especially based on one interview.

In their defense, the cops are number one on the "call if sense real danger" list for most folk.  I really can not fault the cops for not being clinical psychologists or not being able to know when to call one.  Heck, many family members of disturbed folk don;t know when it is time to bring in the psych folk.

Cops are not supposed to be babysitters and nursemaids and addiction counselors and psych triage folk and so on and so forth.  I would be happy if they just did their job of keeping the peace within the constraints of the COTUS and good sense.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 12:31:09 AM »
For all the trouble nutball went to, he could have arranged several trips to Nevada and bought some action with cash.  

Why should a "sophisticated and magnificent" person like him have to pay for it? He's a snappy dresser with a nice car! Weren't you listening?

It's kind of a spooky coincidence that I was joking about "demanding casual sex justice" at sorority houses, a week or two ago. This guy took that to a whole new level.  =|
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:39:47 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 01:04:30 AM »
In their defense, the cops are number one on the "call if sense real danger" list for most folk.  I really can not fault the cops for not being clinical psychologists or not being able to know when to call one.  Heck, many family members of disturbed folk don;t know when it is time to bring in the psych folk.

I don't fault the parents for calling the cops when they discovered evidence of what they obviously considered an active threat. I DO fault the cops for thinking they were qualified to, on the basis of a single interview, dismiss the threat as imaginary.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:45:15 AM by Hawkmoon »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 03:56:00 AM »
Its hard to get someone committed.  Especially if they want to conceal whats going on in their head

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »
It should be difficult. But it's not impossible.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »
It should be difficult. But it's not impossible.

My wife and I were just having this discussion.  I deal with this every week: one of our patients expresses suicidal or homicidal ideation, we send them to the hospital, and they then deny any such statements to the county-designated mental health professional, and they then do not meet the criteria for an involuntary hold and are released back into the wild.  And every once in a great while, I get a call from the medical examiner telling me that one of these patients did go home and suicide.  I have thankfully not yet gotten the call about a patient committing homicide. I have done everything according to the standard of care: I have triaged these patients and sent them along to the experts for further evaluation and treatment.  But even for the experts, it can be a crapshoot in estimating the danger potential, especially if the patient says all the right things.

Unless we want to decrease the legal and medical standards for an involuntary mental health hold, we will continue to see these sort of cases.  And with the typical feelings of APS members for the legal and medical systems, I am pretty sure there would not be support here for that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »
I'm with Millcreek and Rooster (well, that's odd)

Look, psych issues are not easy. Cops arn't experts and medical facilities can't do much more then they are currently allowed to do without hurting more people then they help.

And those of you who are ranting and railing about "why didn't they DO something?" are doing exactly what the liberals do everytime (although on a diffrent emphasis)

The fact is sometimes bad *expletive deleted* happens. People do crazy things and innocent people get hurt or killed. Thinking you can make a law or set a standard that completly eliminates these things from happening is a pipedream. We can only minimize it the best we can. This dude may have slipped through a small crack. Well, there's going to be cracks in any system. What we need to worry about are the great gapping holes (like that Deeds son situation, where apparently they had the reasons and means to hold him, but they just couldn't find a bed. And then he goes home, stabs daddy and kills himself)

I feel bad for this dudes family and they family's of those people he killed. I want to smack the idjits that rail about his killing with a gun while failing to address the issue or vehical and knife slaughter. And I really want to drop whoever came up with the phrase "gun history" (really?) off a tall building.
But I'll pass on getting bent out of shape because some police officers failed to brush up on there abnormal psych degrees and magically know this guy was a nutterbutter time bomb about to spew molten crazy all over the place.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »
I'm with Millcreek and Rooster (well, that's odd)

Come to the Dark Side.  We have cookies.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »
Come to the Dark Side.  We have cookies.

what about donuts? I could really go for a donut right about now...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »

Kids and I just hit the independent hole-in-the-wall donut shop on the way home from church.  Kids got some sprinkly frosted things.  For my own part, I am an apple fritter man.  And this place has the best apple fritters. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »
Another apple fritter man!  At their best when warm from the fryer, mmmm.....

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »
Damn it. Now I want an apple fritter.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
A hole in the wall donut shop in my home town, years ago, used to make *filled* donut holes.  Lemon, or cherry raspberry, or Bavarian cream, or whatever.  (just one flavor every day, and they rotated it)  They were awesome.  I don't know why nobody else makes those; maybe too much labor involved for something you sell so cheap.

(cue BSL)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 04:45:55 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 02:41:34 PM »
Why you people gotta be so mean?
Niether my wallet nor my waistline can tolerate this taunting.

*goes off searching for sugery doughy goodness*

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »

DONUT!  GIMMMEEEEE

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!