Author Topic: Air brad nail guns  (Read 3506 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Air brad nail guns
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:07:26 AM »
I need to seek the advice of the folks on here.

Some of you know I keep bees and I'm getting tired of hand nailing frames together. So I'm in the market for a air brad nail gun. I only need brads that are 5/8" long, 18 gauge should be fine.

I'd like to keep the price under $100, but I'm willing to spend more if the value is there. I tend to buy quality tools.

Eventually I am going to try and get into commercial production of honey, so I want something that will last.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Air brad nail guns
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:33:52 AM »
The Harbor Freight one works for us...
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-brad-nailer-68021.html

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »
Shop craigslist for the paslode butane powered guns. No compressor. I have a 13 year old one still going strong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »
If you're doing the repairs out on near your hives, you're going to have go with either hand, battery or propane powered as I don't see you dragging hundreds of feet of air hose out to the hives.

Are you taking the frames back to the garage/shop to repair?  Then something air powered would work just fine.  Porter Cable is excellent quality, but if it's just something that gets used on occasion, then the Harbor Freight would do.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
If you're doing the repairs out on near your hives, you're going to have go with either hand, battery or propane powered as I don't see you dragging hundreds of feet of air hose out to the hives.

Are you taking the frames back to the garage/shop to repair?  Then something air powered would work just fine.  Porter Cable is excellent quality, but if it's just something that gets used on occasion, then the Harbor Freight would do.

Builds in the shop, repairs will be done with hammer and nail if needed on the hive. 

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »

Using a nailgun on a hive in production sounds like a really good way to piss off a lot of bees.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 05:40:36 PM »
Builds in the shop, repairs will be done with hammer and nail if needed on the hive. 

Using a nailgun on a hive in production sounds like a really good way to piss off a lot of bees.
Shut up you fool!

Charby, that sounds like a right fine plan. Any chance you plan on setting up a webcam to document your hive project?  [popcorn]
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 06:07:53 PM »
On the live bee hive:  Small long wood screws or drywall screws and a screwdriver bit on your battery-powered drill?

For that matter, even in the shop.  Easy to remove and replace, no extra cost 'cept for the screws.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 06:31:29 PM »

Naw, I make plenty of noise pulling the hive bodies apart and removing frames. Air tools probably won't bother them at all.

Most of the time if the bees aren't too gumpy I don't even wear a veil or gloves when working the hive. Just a little smoke to calm them down. Yes I always remember that there can be 60k stingers aimed at me at any given time.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
On the live bee hive:  Small long wood screws or drywall screws and a screwdriver bit on your battery-powered drill?

For that matter, even in the shop.  Easy to remove and replace, no extra cost 'cept for the screws.

Frames are made out of 3/8" thick wooden strips.

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_39&products_id=88

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »
^ Yeah, I guess that's a little thin for screws. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
Finish screws are the same thickness as brads

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »
Frames are made out of 3/8" thick wooden strips.

Man up.  Landscape timbers won't need so much repair, and you'll build your upper body faster.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »
Whatever chinacorp brad nailer they have at menards (Toolshop?) works pretty well- I did finished my entire basement with one which included a large room full of pine tongue and groove walls. I've used better ones (Bosch), but the main problem with the chinese brad nailers is the head doesn't clamp down tight enough or is a bit flimsy and you get an occasional jam. If you are doing finishing work, it needs adjustment for different nails and seating dpths, for outside work, it would probably work great.

I have what is essentially this model: http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/compressors-and-pneumatic-tools/nailers-staplers/18-gauge-brad-nailer/p-1498012-c-12912.htm

except mine has a gray paint job instead of red. The nailer came with a pancake air compressor (woefully inadequate for anything more than putting a dozen or nails in per minute, but ok for small jobs) for around $120- 10 years ago.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
the main problem with the chinese brad nailers is the head doesn't clamp down tight enough or is a bit flimsy and you get an occasional jam. If you are doing finishing work, it needs adjustment for different nails and seating dpths, for outside work, it would probably work great.

Another advantage to the landscape timbers: bore the cross pieces lengthwise, and assemble it with 5/8 allthread, fender washers and nuts.  Then the only tool you need is a pair of crescent wrenches.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 04:35:34 PM »
Man up.  Landscape timbers won't need so much repair, and you'll build your upper body faster.

pretty sure that the bees will not accept them

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
Whatever chinacorp brad nailer they have at menards (Toolshop?) works pretty well- I did finished my entire basement with one which included a large room full of pine tongue and groove walls. I've used better ones (Bosch), but the main problem with the chinese brad nailers is the head doesn't clamp down tight enough or is a bit flimsy and you get an occasional jam. If you are doing finishing work, it needs adjustment for different nails and seating dpths, for outside work, it would probably work great.

I have what is essentially this model: http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/compressors-and-pneumatic-tools/nailers-staplers/18-gauge-brad-nailer/p-1498012-c-12912.htm

except mine has a gray paint job instead of red. The nailer came with a pancake air compressor (woefully inadequate for anything more than putting a dozen or nails in per minute, but ok for small jobs) for around $120- 10 years ago.

Going to borrow a buddy's Bostich for the 50 or so honey super frames I need to assemble. If I like it I will buy one, if not going to get a Porter Cable.

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 04:53:42 PM »
pretty sure that the bees will not accept them

Flog a few of them publicly for refusing, and the rest will fall in line.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
check that your local store has the brads for the gun you choose.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
Flog a few of them publicly for refusing, and the rest will fall in line.

I'll let you borrow my hat and veil, then I'll sit back and watch who gets flogged.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 06:53:40 PM »
I have a Hitachi finish nailer that works very well.  I've also used a few Hitachi framing nailers, and they all worked fine.  If I needed a brad nailer I'd go straight to the Hitachi.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 03:55:20 AM »
And lots for sale used

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
Dump the brads, get a stapler. They will hold better in thin stock.
 5/8" leg, 1/4 crown", 18 ga.  An oil-less tool is nice too.

Do you have a compressor? some companies have a compressor -hose-gun combo pack for very reasonable.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Dump the brads, get a stapler. They will hold better in thin stock.
 5/8" leg, 1/4 crown", 18 ga.  An oil-less tool is nice too.

Do you have a compressor? some companies have a compressor -hose-gun combo pack for very reasonable.

I got the compressor, just a 5hp 20 gallon, barely runs my other air tools (hammer/ratchet/etc). I do need to upgrade to a bigger tank.

Uranus is a gas giant.