Author Topic: Does anyone else believe that digging up bodies is wrong?  (Read 2739 times)

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Does anyone else believe that digging up bodies is wrong?
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »
I am,of course,referring to the practice of archaeologists digging people up,photographing,man-handling,cleaning,and boxing up the remains.
I just read this:
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27587104

It creeped me out a bit.Then there's the whole having a nail pounded into your jaw thing.

I believe that dead things belong in the ground-not in a box on a shelf.

I wonder how many are ever re-buried?
jeff w

I like onions!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Does anyone else believe that digging up bodies is wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
How would we know anything about those who went before us unles we dug them up?

And if they are old enough, and from a region far enough away, we can even avoid the emotional mumbo-jumbo about desecration and lack of respect and the rest of that.  Seems to me there have pretty much always been two responses to somebody digging up the bones of someone's ancestors: war right then and there; or manufactured outrage in support of some political agenda.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »
Just stay out of my yard and we're cool.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:15:56 PM »
Cool.  Iron age dentistry.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 10:29:52 PM »
I believe that dead things belong in the ground-not in a box on a shelf.

If it has never been in the ground, is it OK to keep a box of something dead in the house? It's already been cleansed by fire!!!  ;)

bob

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »
Just stay out of my yard and we're cool.

Dude,

You gotta start taking that backhoe a bit farther away from the house.  May I recommend construction sites and state campgrounds?

Sure, it's more work, but it keeps the neighbors from being nosey at 2 AM.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »
Once you bury them, never dig them back up...that's how you get caught!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »
Apologies for possibly being off topic, but I am approaching the subject as if I were the one to be possibly disinterred.

I can only speak for myself and what my family has so far agreed on. For me and mine, cremate and scatter the ashes in the wilderness. I would have no objection to having cows being pastured over me. Barring that, feed me to the fishes.

Cemetaries are not forever, even those promising perpetual care.  If I were to be buried, I would not care to be paved over with a parking lot. It would be better that my remains contribute to research. (Perhaps that actually answers the question asked.)

When my mother was young, 1920 and earlier, every year the family had to cross Kansas on dirt roads to tend to Uncle Harry's grave. My mother decided very early on that that miserable duty would not continue with her. Oh, I might add that Uncle Harry died when he was two. Who is caring for that grave now. Is there still a graveyard?    If not, what has become of it?

I was with my father when he visited the graves of his great grandparents.
Vandals had broken the headstones. No headstone for me.

My family is widespread including across an ocean. There is no way that a grave could be protected and maintained. The neighbors are certain to object to a platform burial even though I have a suitable tree. An unmarked grave in the wilderness is probably illegal. All that is left is cremation after what can be learned from my remains has been learned.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »
Once you bury them, never dig them back up...that's how you get caught!

"We got a problem, that thing we took care of upstate? Well, we gotta dig him up again. The guy just sold the property. They're gonna build condominiums and I don't want anybody digging up the little bastard."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »
My family is widespread including across an ocean. There is no way that a grave could be protected and maintained. The neighbors are certain to object to a platform burial even though I have a suitable tree. An unmarked grave in the wilderness is probably illegal. All that is left is cremation after what can be learned from my remains has been learned.

Dermestid beetles and a euro mount?

Or maybe a season or two in the compost pile and bone recovery after the fact?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »
Dermestid beetles and a euro mount?

Or maybe a season or two in the compost pile and bone recovery after the fact?
Feed the hogs . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 11:57:01 AM »
I have no issues with digging up the remains of he dead. They are gone. The bodies that birthed them have ceased to hold their consciousness and no longer can be called "them".

On the other hand I do not want to be cremated. My preference is for my DNA and physical composition to naturally return to the earth. Destroying all the various elements we are comprised of by fire seems a waste. I'd like to let the elements return to the earth.   

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
I have no issues with digging up the remains of he dead. They are gone. The bodies that birthed them have ceased to hold their consciousness and no longer can be called "them".

On the other hand I do not want to be cremated. My preference is for my DNA and physical composition to naturally return to the earth. Destroying all the various elements we are comprised of by fire seems a waste. I'd like to let the elements return to the earth.   

They will, either way.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
They will, either way.   
Plants got to eat, same as the bacteria.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »
I don't really have a problem with it for archeological sites.  Besides, how can archeologists get to other informative artifacts without disturbing the bodies?  And in cases like the famous dust-encased bodies of the Pompeiian eruption (Vesuvius), they never had a proper burial, but now many have been removed from the site and have "perpetual" homage paid to them.

(More:
http://www.mummytombs.com/pompeii/background.htm)

And for the Peat Bog Bodies, many of them were just tossed into the bog without ceremony.  When we find them now (which is fairly often, since peat is used as a fuel), removal of the bodies is necessary and has resulted in increased knowledge of the times surrounding their deaths.  And like the Pompeiian mummies, perhaps greater honor is given to them by display, rather than just being forgotten in the randomness of the peat bogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_body

Same goes for Ötzi the Iceman, whose preserved body was found in the frozen alps.  We learned  a lot from him.  And at least now he has a name again.

And he's even famous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi

For those buried in consecrated (according to the religion)  ground, I'd prefer they be left alone, but that also depends on the time interval.   And certain known ancient burial sites are in fact left alone.

Cheesman Park in Denver used to be a cemetery.  They dug up and moved most of the bodies, but could not find all of them.  This, to me, is mildly disturbing, and not for "spooky" reasons.

For myself, I'm a total organ donor, and I amuse myself with the thought that my bony parts might be reassembled into an instructional skeleton and wheeled around from day to day to various classrooms of the University of Colorado Medical Center.  Any remains left from the dissection can be cremated and scattered over my old favorite squirrel hunting ground.

Hi, guys!
, 230RN >:D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:12:15 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »
Hmmmm... I guess it depends on the culture being studied.
Eygptions would consider being exhumed sacriledgous. Their tombs even had traps and tricks to foil robbers.
Greeks, on the other hand, considered being remembered most important. I would think that, if you could ask one who just got dug up, that they would think their new impact on humanity would be an honor.

Regardless, I think the ultimate benifit to us overall from what we learn about our ancestors is more important then touchy questions over the morals of studying dead people from an ancient world.

Sometimes I kind of wonder what future archologists will think of us when they start digging up our remains. Usually, I have this thought when I head out to the farm. =D I think all the dogs will confuse them. *chuckle*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
And in cases like the famous dust-encased bodies of the Pompeiian eruption (Vesuvius), they never had a proper burial, but now many have been removed from the site and have "perpetual" homage paid to them.

Actually, my understanding is that what you see are not bodies but plaster casts of voids left over after the bodies broke down.  When the archaeologists started digging at Pompeii, one noticed unexpected cavities and tried filling it with plaster.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »
Hmmmm... I guess it depends on the culture being studied.
Eygptions would consider being exhumed sacriledgous. Their tombs even had traps and tricks to foil robbers.

wouldn't that be only for their elite "gods"?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »
roo_ster and HankB —

Good suggestions. Euro mount for display by whom and for what reason? The demand must be limited.  230RN's suggest also has merit, but I am a bit shy.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 09:28:18 AM »
There's a part of me that would like to be buried with some interesting items...a sidearm, a knife, a law book, and some odd items...a ladle, or a whisk, a video game controller, an iPod, a socket wrench, etc., so that some day if someone digs me up, I drive them crazy wondering what the Hell all of that stuff means.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 09:53:14 AM »
^
They'll probably think they're religious artifacts and you'll be put in a museum as a high-mucky-muck religious leader of the time and they'll ship you all over the world as an exhibition and get lots of whatever passes for money.

And you won't see  a dime (or whatever passes for a dime) from it.

Long time ago someone wrote a future-fantasy story of how an ordinary kids' toy from today was dug up and these future archeologists had a furious worldwide intellectual academic debate as to what kind of religious artifact it was.

You know, "symposiums" on it, papers presented at the Science Academy Proceedings, fist fights on the floor of the Lecture Hall...

And the spirit of the human whose toy it was looked "down" at the proceedings and laughed like hell.

My imagination got off its leash at these thoughts and I thought of what would happen if they found some kind of obviously manufactured artifact on Mars with strange characters engraved on it and couldn't figure out what it was.

And some long-dead Martian's spirit was looking "down" at all this and likewise laughing like hell because it was only his tentacle-excerciser....

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:15:13 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »
roo_ster and HankB —

Good suggestions. Euro mount for display by whom and for what reason? The demand must be limited.  230RN's suggest also has merit, but I am a bit shy.

I suspect that'll pass when you do . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 11:22:32 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickson_Mounds

I got to see the exposed burials until certain people pitched a fit in the late 1980's.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »
When I'm done with this body or it's done with me and it "gives up the ghost" I don't don't much give a greasy rats arse what happens to it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 01:08:42 PM »
When I'm done with this body or it's done with me and it "gives up the ghost" I don't don't much give a greasy rats arse what happens to it.

I have some traditional ideas on the matter, but having my corpse pureed and then used to hose down Bloomberg and similar poltroons has its charms.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton