Author Topic: Does anyone else believe that digging up bodies is wrong?  (Read 2740 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Does anyone else believe that digging up bodies is wrong?
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
http://myholysmoke.com/Our_Services.html

Why not go out with a bang?  Or a bangbangbangbang!
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »
Couple of things:
1. Does anyone think its kind of weird that people put 'nightlights' on graves- is grandma going to have to get up in the middl eof the night to go to the bathroom?

2. At a recent funeral weekend back home, my folks wer etalking about planning out their own funerals and how they want everything done. My Mom said she had my Dad's funeral all planned already- cremation, urn, where to scatter the ashes, etc... I asked her if she had a date for it picked out.  :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »
wouldn't that be only for their elite "gods"?

They all belived in an afterlife that required the body preserved and that having certain items were nessersary to the lifestyle they wanted to have after death. The amount and quality of grave goods, the quality of the preservation of the body and the size of the tomb was just a question of how much money they had to spend on such fripperies. The rich and the Pharohs had the super elaberate crap, but the artisans, farmers and whatnot had whatever they could afford as well.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 02:14:26 PM »
They all belived in an afterlife that required the body preserved and that having certain items were nessersary to the lifestyle they wanted to have after death. The amount and quality of grave goods, the quality of the preservation of the body and the size of the tomb was just a question of how much money they had to spend on such fripperies. The rich and the Pharohs had the super elaberate crap, but the artisans, farmers and whatnot had whatever they could afford as well.
A kid in the ghetto could be buried with his xbox and be richer than all of them combined. Sure the Phaeros had gold, but all the gold in the world wouldn't have bought them an xbox.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »
"I asked her if she had a date for it picked out. "

Brimic, that was evilly delicious.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
If it has never been in the ground, is it OK to keep a box of something dead in the house? It's already been cleansed by fire!!!  ;)

bob

Speaking for myself?I've always thought that that was morbid.When my Mom told me that she wanted to be cremated I asked her what she wanted me to plant in her ashes.She said "nothing" as I killed any plants anyways. ???
jeff w

I like onions!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 04:34:47 AM »
Couple of things:
1. Does anyone think its kind of weird that people put 'nightlights' on graves- is grandma going to have to get up in the middl eof the night to go to the bathroom?

When my family and I we were out putting flowers on graves last weekend, we noticed that there was a solar-powered light positioned over the graves of some of my distant relatives - "from the weird side of the family" as my dad told me. I have absolutely no idea what in the hell it's for; the cemetery is hidden up in the hills in the countryside, so I can't imagine anyone visiting it after dark, or at least not on a regular basis. There was also a tarp stretched out over the graves, as if they were trying to kill off all the grass that's over them. Maybe they were getting sick of having to come out and maintain it, but they'd still have to come out and weed it a couple times a year if they used rock or mulch.

Eh; different strokes for different folks, I guess.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 06:58:53 AM »
When mom passed dad went with cremation. After the funeral we "interred" the urn full of ashes ourselves at the old country cemetery where 5 generations of my family are planted.
after the funeral mass the used car salesman funeral parlor head guy found me first to hand off the urn. I laid it on the seat of my truck and when my wife climbed in for the ride out to the burial grounds she was resting her hand on the urn. About halfway out to the site she turned and asked me "Where's your mom?" When I told her  under your hand I thought she was gonna jump out of the truck.

We did mom proud though. The urn dad selected was fairly tall and round. I dug the hole with a set of rusty post hole diggers, slid the urn into the hole and dad pushed it on down with his cane.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 07:07:33 AM »
Once you bury them, never dig them back up...that's how you get caught!

Don't worry, I'm never gonna dig them up.

...or let them down...

But on topic, I think archaeology is damn weird, and in some industries a problem.  One of the difficult parts of designing for long term radioactive waste storage is how do you keep people from digging there (obviously, given the above, Rick won't).  So you need to get that message across without relying on a common language or arousing curiosity.

Personally, I think all the efforts on that were wasted, because in the future when we aren't as skittish as schoolgirls around useful materials, someone is going to be running their radioshack Geiger counter around those weird hills and should "hot damn, Mary! Come quick!  We found ourselves a radioisotope mine!  I can believe them fellers back then would want to bury this stuff!" (In my future, we are all technologically advanced quasi-southern rednecks...which shouldn't surprise anyone given their fecundity).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:12:48 AM by birdman »

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 12:08:18 AM »
Today we went to pick up the flowers that we left last weekend. Some ahole stole the roses off my grandmother's grave. Who the *expletive deleted*ck does that? :mad:

At least they left the container.

(obviously, given the above, Rick won't). 

Are you saying that's not how Rick rolls?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »
^ Probably the groundskeepers after a couple of wilty days? Left the container for  you to re-use?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:53:12 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2014, 01:06:28 AM »
^ Probably the groundskeepers after a couple of wilty days? Left the container for  you to re-use?

Nope. None of the other flowers in the cemetery were touched, including those we left on several other relatives' graves. The groundskeepers don't start collecting them until Monday, and when they do it they toss everything, container and all, which is why we went today.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:11:27 AM by Regolith »

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »
Up at UCONN in the archeologist's lab there is a box of human bones. Not a very big one actually. Your final is to reassemble these bones by laying them out on the table in their proper places.
Avoid cliches like the plague!