Author Topic: Retailers not doing so well  (Read 6726 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Retailers not doing so well
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 01:24:20 AM »
Not where I live. I pay $75 a year for my  2012 Nissan truck and 29.50 my boat trailer. Eventually my truck will go to $45

Wife pays $270 for her 2012 Honda Accord and 29.50 for the camper.

I think we play about $150 a month for full coverage insurance for both vehicles.

OUCH !!!!

I do pay $90 for registration for my car (everyone pays the same for cars).

I just setup the e-pay for my car insurance.  Comprehensive coverage on my 2013 Outback - $260 for six months.   $43 per month.   Might want to raise your deductible and increase your emergency fund.  Much cheaper.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2014, 07:31:17 AM »
Not sure about anywhere else, but TX is $54/year/vehicle.  Not really a killer.  Stacking insurance (two cars plus renter's, plus anything else your insurer has that you might benefit from) gets a pretty decent discount there too.

Tx wacks you with tax when you buy/sell, then it's cheap to keep. Other states charge yearly taxes/plate fees that can be hundreds of dollars...and sometimes still charge high transfer/sales taxes.

When I lived in Ohio, the tranfer/sales taxes were easily dodged by lying about the purchase price, but many states have gone to bluebook-like lookup tables.  They usually don't take condition into account,  so you end up paying the same tax on a dinged up car with all corners bashed in as for a mint example of the same year/miles.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2014, 07:33:39 AM »
OUCH !!!!

I do pay $90 for registration for my car (everyone pays the same for cars).

I just setup the e-pay for my car insurance.  Comprehensive coverage on my 2013 Outback - $260 for six months.   $43 per month.   Might want to raise your deductible and increase your emergency fund.  Much cheaper.

Iowa has the misfortune of being a lower populated state with a lot of paved roads, so registration is higher because of that.

We have a $250 deductible, I think going to $500 there was only a $50 per year difference. We both have clean driving records but there has been a lot of weather damage to vehicles the last couple of years in Iowa so we are all sharing the pain with insurance costs. The $150 might also include residential insurance and the rider for all my valuables. Wife pays that bill so I will ask her. Remember we also have a camper on the policy.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

birdman

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2014, 08:40:43 AM »
Tx wacks you with tax when you buy/sell, then it's cheap to keep. Other states charge yearly taxes/plate fees that can be hundreds of dollars...and sometimes still charge high transfer/sales taxes.

When I lived in Ohio, the tranfer/sales taxes were easily dodged by lying about the purchase price, but many states have gone to bluebook-like lookup tables.  They usually don't take condition into account,  so you end up paying the same tax on a dinged up car with all corners bashed in as for a mint example of the same year/miles.

Virginia has a yearly personal property tax on cars...my wife and I pay close to $3500 a year in those :(
It hurts.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »
Virginia has a yearly personal property tax on cars...my wife and I pay close to $3500 a year in those :(
It hurts.

Damn, is this offset with lower income taxes?

Uranus is a gas giant.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2014, 09:28:58 AM »
http://voxday.blogspot.com/search/label/women

Scroll for a bit. Dude's fundamentalist Christian, which is fine, I know plenty of them that are decent human beings. Jocasse, for example. He's the not fine variety, and fixated on wimmin instead of gays or war on christmas. And he self-identifies as libertarian, somehow. I'm vaguely confused how a libertarian advocates using the state to deny rights to folks based on gender, as well social engineering.

My favorite was "oh noes, wimmin will ruin Defcon!!!" I haven't shown it to my lady friend, who enjoyed Defcon very much. I'll be sure to let her know her chromosomes will contaminate the conference, and send it spiraling out of control. Dude lays it on pretty thick, there's no need or reason to cherry pick for comments. But from what I read women destroy freedom, liberty, hacker conventions, fiscal responsibility, immigration, programming, university, military, and plenty else. It's interesting in its length.  Be sure to click "Older Posts", it's several dozen articles.

I used to work with him, and for the company his father owned. He is - or was, anyway - very much pro-Second Amendment and pro-gun. Last I heard, his dad was in the joint for tax evasion, though he may well be out by now; don't know. Vox (not his real name, of course) is a bit of an opinionated, "I'm right; you're wrong" sort of guy. He's not someone I'd care to sit and drink a beer with. Now, P.J. O'Rourke, on the other hand, or Rush Limbaugh or Bill Whittle (the Afterburner guy), I'd be thrilled to sit and talk while having one or three.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2014, 09:32:04 AM »
Damn, is this offset with lower income taxes?

Not really.

But bear in mind, its vehicle value based, and reduces substantially on a vehicle year by year (my 2009 GTR is less than our 2014 explorer sport) like our 2011 Altima 3.5 coupe is only like $400/yr.  so my gross number is more of a factor on newness, cost, and the fact we have 4 vehicles.  But get a nice new car, and it can be shocking.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:35:06 AM by birdman »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »
Not really.

But bear in mind, its vehicle value based, and reduces substantially on a vehicle year by year (my 2009 GTR is less than our 2014 explorer sport) like our 2011 Altima 3.5 coupe is only like $400/yr.  so my gross number is more of a factor on newness, cost, and the fact we have 4 vehicles.  But get a nice new car, and it can be shocking.

Iowa is something like that, the fees are determined by % of new vehicle prices and then drops each year to $50.

Passenger cars, low speed vehicles, 1993 and newer multipurpose vehicles, & 2010 and newer model year trucks (10K or less)

(Pertains to all vehicles where the registration fees are based on weight and list price of the vehicle.)

The formula is calculated as follows:  $0.40 per hundred pounds of vehicle weight, plus

Model Years Old/Percent of List Price

1 - 7 / 1.00

8 - 9  / 0.75

10 - 11 / 0.50

12 and after $50

Example: Weight: 3,000 pounds, list price: $18,500

3,000 X .40% =

$12

$18,500 X 1% =

$185

Annual Fee =

$197

Uranus is a gas giant.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »
Virginia is I think either $25 or $50/yr fixed registration, plus 4.2% of the NADA median value
Our income tax is 5.75%

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »
$25/year/vehicle is what I pay (VA as well).

Chris

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »
Tx wacks you with tax when you buy/sell, then it's cheap to keep.

Not too bad on a 17 year old $700 car, though, (They do get suspicious of very low prices, but when you show them the crumpled beater in their lot, they get reasonable in a hurry so you'll make the scary leper car go away before it infects their cars.) and really, dealers are good about giving you an out-the-door (tax/title/reg included) price on request, so you don't have the pain of spending your savings on the car, then finding out you have to pay another big chunk to the state right away.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2014, 11:26:08 AM »
Iowa has the misfortune of being a lower populated state with a lot of paved roads, so registration is higher because of that.

We have a $250 deductible, I think going to $500 there was only a $50 per year difference. We both have clean driving records but there has been a lot of weather damage to vehicles the last couple of years in Iowa so we are all sharing the pain with insurance costs. The $150 might also include residential insurance and the rider for all my valuables. Wife pays that bill so I will ask her. Remember we also have a camper on the policy.

Raise your deductible to $1000, see what rate that gets you.  Then do the math. How many months w/o an accident to save $1000?

I also have my camper on my policy, it runs something like $1.87 every six months.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »
Raise your deductible to $1000, see what rate that gets you.  Then do the math. How many months w/o an accident to save $1000?

I also have my camper on my policy, it runs something like $1.87 every six months.   

Tried that, wife said no.

She may have some liability insurance added there also because of her job.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
It hurts.

A big reason I bailed out of VA a year after I got out of the Navy.
I had a total beater POS Ford Ranger. It would pass inspection but that's about the only positive thing you could say about it other than it ran most of the time. The tax was almost 3X the actual street value.
F-em. Between that, the Harley I had then and the wifes car it really was was cheaper to load up and move back to Oklahoma.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2014, 05:08:07 PM »
A big reason I bailed out of VA a year after I got out of the Navy.
I had a total beater POS Ford Ranger. It would pass inspection but that's about the only positive thing you could say about it other than it ran most of the time. The tax was almost 3X the actual street value.
F-em. Between that, the Harley I had then and the wifes car it really was was cheaper to load up and move back to Oklahoma.

They cut the taxes on autos several years ago.  They call it tax relief.  If the vehicle is for personal use, there is a sliding scale of tax reduction based on the value of the car.  Vehicles valued at less than $1000 pay no tax at all. 

When I had a 72 Beetle before the tax relief thing, I never paid any tax on it since it fell below the $1000 threshold.

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
The Ranger I had "booked" at something like $2000 but condition wise it was no where close to being in the same universe, I had given $400 for it. I tried to protest it based on that and the sorry SOB upped the tax due by $12.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Retailers not doing so well
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2014, 12:05:22 AM »
I drive a 15 year old truck. It's got 223k on it. That bitch is going to 400k if not more. Parts are still cheaper than a monthly payment.

I hear ya and agree.

I traded and bought new after getting stranded with the kiddo saway from home.  Turned out alright but it sure gave me something to think about.  Were i single no bfd.  With kiddos it is another story.

It looks like i bought a new truck at the beginning of the year but what i am really paying for is reliability.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2014, 02:20:27 PM »
They cut the taxes on autos several years ago.  They call it tax relief.  If the vehicle is for personal use, there is a sliding scale of tax reduction based on the value of the car.  Vehicles valued at less than $1000 pay no tax at all. 

IIRC Texas is by max weight, with $54/yr being the minimum that covers any normal passenger cars on up through most light trucks.  Makes sense, since weight is far more relevant to the wear they cause to the road surface than any other consistent factor.  (Driving technique is more relevant, but a bit hard to charge against the vehicle.)