Author Topic: The US DOES negotiate / troops watch your backs  (Read 9826 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: The US DOES negotiate / troops watch your backs
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
One thing that irritates me about the 'leave no man behind' meme is that we have knowingly done so in the past.  I have read quite a few books about the Cold War recon and espionage efforts.  The USA had several recon planes shot down over or near the Soviet Union and the PRC.  There have been eyewitness reports, some of questionable validity, of American airmen being held as prisoners in Soviet and PRC prison camps.  Apparently, with the fall of the Soviet Union and the opening of the archives, we are reasonably certain that no live prisoners from this era are still around, but I would bet cash money that we knew at the time that captured American airmen were being held by the Soviets and PRC and we left them there.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2014, 01:17:13 AM »
It's only a recent one.  I never heard it from when I first enlisted until I came of active duty (1983-1991), and I'm pretty sure I don't remember it when I was in the reserves.  It was only when the Army came up with it's Values that it became a meme.   But before that it was always "We'll box up whatever bits of you we can find and ship those home to your mother."  And that only started during the Korean War.  Prior to that everyone was buried near where they fell. (A corner of some foreign field that is forever England...), although the US did repatriate WWI and WWII remains after those wars at the family's request.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2014, 05:32:34 AM »
I personally don't get it. If I was captured I'd certainly feel better knowing that my side would make every effort to not forget me and get me back, there are limits. Maybe it's my duty to stay captured than get a bunch more people killed/captured rescuing me a la TF Baum. Then again I am lax on my plan to marry flag officer's daughters so I probably wouldn't get that consideration. I guess it would be nice to be take home if I was dead, but really I personally don't care at that point. I'd much rather know that no living comrades got otherwise trying to carry me home.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »
Then again I am lax on my plan to marry flag officer's daughters so I probably wouldn't get that consideration.

One from each side?  That could work.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2014, 07:05:03 AM »
It's only a recent one.  I never heard it from when I first enlisted until I came of active duty (1983-1991), and I'm pretty sure I don't remember it when I was in the reserves.  It was only when the Army came up with it's Values that it became a meme.   But before that it was always "We'll box up whatever bits of you we can find and ship those home to your mother."  And that only started during the Korean War.  Prior to that everyone was buried near where they fell. (A corner of some foreign field that is forever England...), although the US did repatriate WWI and WWII remains after those wars at the family's request.

The positive thing in regards to this is that the burial sites are considered US soil.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »
The positive thing in regards to this is that the burial sites are considered US soil.

Shh! If people realize that, they'll be digging up graves to have their anchor babies.