Author Topic: Random thought I have while loading magazines  (Read 2390 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Random thought I have while loading magazines
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 12:43:20 AM »
Magazines ??

In my unit it was number of belts of M60 ammo, that was most important. ;)

In my unit, the only weapons we ever used were magazines. We were real men.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
Not.  Some rifle/mag combos don't work well with 30 rounds in the mag; it makes seating the mag too difficult.

Some are tougher than others, although I have always managed to smack them in*. Regardless, the GI mags that we get issued are loaded full, you are issued enough ammo to load them full, and IME if someone tries to explain that you can't, they are laughed out of the hooch.

The only.mil folks left in that I've see push the 28 rd thing was a First Army (slick sleeve) trainer at Ft. Dix in pre-mob training.  He also said the the A2 bird cage wasn't a flash suppressor, that an M2 was only approved for anti-equipment use, and that we should practice trigger control of our M249's to get aimed 2rd bursts because "Grazing fire has never been proven effective".  So yeah, wives tale.

*I would argue pretty strongly that if you can't seat a 30 rd mag with 30 in it on a closed bolt, something needs to be fixed.  Slap it up pretty hard and it'll usually seat. Course I also seat full mags on a closed bolt PTR and CETME, something experts tell me is unpossible.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 09:36:34 AM »
People load 30rnds into GI mags in combat?  Odd, I thought it was unofficially advised to do 28.

I remember the gear we were given was often so hammered that yes, a fully stuffed magazine would cause a jam right out of the gate. Double feeds were common.  We loaded 27 rounds normally, whether blanks or live ammo. 
My current toys will take a full mag and convert it to noise with no issues.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 09:41:44 AM »
I remember the gear we were given was often so hammered that yes, a fully stuffed magazine would cause a jam right out of the gate. Double feeds were common.  We loaded 27 rounds normally, whether blanks or live ammo. 
My current toys will take a full mag and convert it to noise with no issues.

Marine right?  (just checking, no subtext) 

Which brings us to SSG Dogmush's 4th rule of ranges in the military.  An M16 Mag is an expendable fracking item.  Supply can order as many as they want with no real justification.  If one is causing jams on a range, don't throw that mother back in the range box, smash it, and throw it away.  Before you go anywhere even slightly sporty, GET NEW MAGS.  They are cheap, and plentiful.  Thus endith the sermon.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »

Which brings us to SSG Dogmush's 4th rule of ranges in the military.  An M16 Mag is an expendable fracking item.  Supply can order as many as they want with no real justification.  If one is causing jams on a range, don't throw that mother back in the range box, smash it, and throw it away.  Before you go anywhere even slightly sporty, GET NEW MAGS.  They are cheap, and plentiful.  Thus endith the sermon.

+1
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »

We got our mags from the armory, and were in deep doo doo if we didn't return the correct number to the armory.  I've seen a few become seriously damaged, coincidentally after causing malfunctions on the range, but even doing that received extreme scrutiny from the armory....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
We got our mags from the armory, and were in deep doo doo if we didn't return the correct number to the armory.  I've seen a few become seriously damaged, coincidentally after causing malfunctions on the range, but even doing that received extreme scrutiny from the armory....

All range magazines were to be carried to & from the armory in the approved wooden box.  Said wooden box was placed right next to the road.  Lacking the necessary flagging material and unable to spare even Pvt. Snuffy to serve as road guard there were frequently times when the armory wooden box was run over by some doofus who could not keep their wheels in the ruts.

In combat spare magazines were placed outside various & sundry radios/radio parts both for accessability and to "protect" the communications gear (think armor plating).  Given the rate at which field radios were "destroyed on combat" it was no wonder that magazines were also damaged.

(Did you know that an SKS fired from over 100 yards will leave powder burns on magazines and radios?  Or that the velocity of an AK round wears off so much metal that the holes it makes are only 5.56mm in diameter?)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 06:19:40 PM »
(Did you know that an SKS fired from over 100 yards will leave powder burns on magazines and radios?  Or that the velocity of an AK round wears off so much metal that the holes it makes are only 5.56mm in diameter?)

One little accident with a grenade can destroy a lot of equipment.  The troops who managed to get away from the dropped grenade with no injuries are clearly very good and deserving of recognition.

Just make sure they don't see you pile all your substandard crap in a hole and drop a frag in the middle.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 06:31:20 PM »
One little accident with a grenade can destroy a lot of equipment.  The troops who managed to get away from the dropped grenade with no injuries are clearly very good and deserving of recognition.

Just make sure they don't see you pile all your substandard crap in a hole and drop a frag in the middle.

Or make sure you have a sympathetic SNCO handy..