Author Topic: Fake Cop Pulls Over Real Cop  (Read 5405 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Fake Cop Pulls Over Real Cop
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 09:18:16 PM »
Someone suggested that locally, but the response was that dispatch had no way of knowing which cop - if any - was following you.  ???

They have radios. They can ask ... and they can inform the officer that you are proceeding to a safe place to pull over.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 09:32:35 PM »
I wonder how they deal with "no cell phones when driving" ordinances then?
Making an "illegal" call to the police department to inquire if the "police" car behind you is legit?
Interesting conversation with the puller-overer.
jeff w

I like onions!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:03 PM »
Making an "illegal" call to the police department to inquire if the "police" car behind you is legit?
That's actually a really good question.  Given that the cell phone use is just an infraction, if you're really doubting the guy behind you is a real cop it's probably worth earning the charge with an illegal call.  If I were lost in the wilderness I'd be willing to face a poaching charge to survive.

In Oklahoma if you are in an unmarked car you must be in uniform.
Same here, but there's a catch: any valid uniform for your job counts.  Detectives driving unmarked cars?  Well, their uniform is a bad suit and tie, so ...

My preference would be for traffic enforcement to be strictly limited to uniformed officers in marked cars.  I might make an exception for particularly dangerous driving, but I'd make the unmarked or out-of-uniform cop wait for a marked unit to actually make contact with the driver.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 10:13:58 PM »

My preference would be for traffic enforcement to be strictly limited to uniformed officers in marked cars.  I might make an exception for particularly dangerous driving, but I'd make the unmarked or out-of-uniform cop wait for a marked unit to actually make contact with the driver.

Make those marked cars black with white doors and require a gum ball on the roof and I'd be in agreement with you.
Around here most of the cruisers have morphed into dark slate blue stealthmobiles with either a low profile light bar or grill and rear window lights.
jeff w

I like onions!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
Make those marked cars black with white doors and require a gum ball on the roof and I'd be in agreement with you.
Around here most of the cruisers have morphed into dark slate blue stealthmobiles with either a low profile light bar or grill and rear window lights.
Yeah, I don't really disagree with that.  Around here they're mostly going to plain white chargers with some logo/text on the sides and front.  Seems like a move toward making the cars harder to detect, but that's really just icing on the fact that lightbars and paint jobs are more expensive than slicktops with some decals on the side.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
Yeah, I don't really disagree with that.  Around here they're mostly going to plain white chargers with some logo/text on the sides and front.  Seems like a move toward making the cars harder to detect, but that's really just icing on the fact that lightbars and paint jobs are more expensive than slicktops with some decals on the side.

A little thread drift about the pursuit Charger.
I worked for many years at a GM dealership.It closed in 2010 and I went to work for a Chrysler dealer.The guys I worked with tried very hard to rub my nose in all things Chrysler.All in good fun.Anyways,the promo ads for the new 2013 V8 Pursuit Charger listed(and this was right from Chrysler mind)that the new Mopar was quicker to 60 but had a lower top speed than the Caprice.The guys I worked with completely missed the irony that a car that had been out of production since 1996 and was based on a chassis that was new for 1965 had just been out raced by a Teutonic design with the latest and greatest Hemi engine.After it sank in the GM bashing subsided.All in good fun.The Charger does have a separate hvac zone for the trunk though.That's impressive. :laugh:
jeff w

I like onions!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 10:43:57 PM »
That reminds me.  Going to the low-profile bar or pulling the lightbar off entirely and going with the slicktop increases top speed and makes it much, much, much quieter in the vehicle during a pursuit.  I still don't like it from the perspective of recognizing actual cops.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Fake Cop Pulls Over Real Cop
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 05:07:00 AM »

All those ordinances have an emergency calls provision

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Fake Cop Pulls Over Real Cop
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 05:14:37 AM »
Va used to have all sheriffs cars a special brown. Sheriffs brown not available to the public. They got rid of it in the name of economy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 06:57:45 AM »

Same here, but there's a catch: any valid uniform for your job counts.  Detectives driving unmarked cars?  Well, their uniform is a bad suit and tie, so ...

Actually I believe that traffic enforcement is limited to uniformed.  If a undercover is in an unmarked and needs to make a stop they have to call in a uniform to assist before the stop is made.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 09:42:33 AM »
Actually I believe that traffic enforcement is limited to uniformed.  If a undercover is in an unmarked and needs to make a stop they have to call in a uniform to assist before the stop is made.
Might just be different here, or maybe the cop I was talking to had it wrong, but here a detective in a bad suit can make a stop because he's not undercover - he just has less pretty bits on his uniform. 

Bad idea nonetheless, and I don't think many detectives want to conduct many traffic stops.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »

IMO, Plano and Richardson did a pretty good compromise; normal cars in normal colors that don't make stops for regular speeding or admin infractions.  Put serious lights on them (basically everything you can hide) and fully uniformed cops in them, send them out on the freeway and use them on the 20+ over, (60 zone in heavy traffic) triple-lane-change-cutting-off-several-cars and other real problems.  Fully marked backup is rarely far away, and those violations are worth having some help with the stop ASAP anyway.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
IMO, Plano and Richardson did a pretty good compromise; normal cars in normal colors that don't make stops for regular speeding or admin infractions.  Put serious lights on them (basically everything you can hide) and fully uniformed cops in them, send them out on the freeway and use them on the 20+ over, (60 zone in heavy traffic) triple-lane-change-cutting-off-several-cars and other real problems.  Fully marked backup is rarely far away, and those violations are worth having some help with the stop ASAP anyway.

Kind of what you see around here in Oklahoma.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »
Kind of what you see around here in Oklahoma.

Something I'd like to see a lot more of, since it gets the real dangerous violations caught.  I used to work with a retired Dallas cop who hardly ever wrote tickets for speeding or registration unless it was an add on to something serious.  As he put it, if you open your eyes and stop using the radar as a crutch, you can find plenty to keep you busy and make the public safer instead of piling more expense on good people who just can't afford a new sticker right now.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
Something I'd like to see a lot more of, since it gets the real dangerous violations caught.  I used to work with a retired Dallas cop who hardly ever wrote tickets for speeding or registration unless it was an add on to something serious.  As he put it, if you open your eyes and stop using the radar as a crutch, you can find plenty to keep you busy and make the public safer instead of piling more expense on good people who just can't afford a new sticker right now.
That's the mindset I see from my local deputies and something I'd like to see generally adopted by police everywhere.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2014, 10:59:45 PM »
Most of the police cars I see are often not easy to tell when looking at the front,but are well marked on the side and rear.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »
Calling to make sure the person trying to pull you over or waiting for a safe place to pull over might not be a good idea. Was reading up on proper ways to pull over when a cop is behind you and came up on a forum for cops where someone had asked a question for them. Lots of "You will respect my authoritah" going on with when you see their lights come on you need to IMMEDIATELY pull over because only they are trained to know when it is safe for you to pull over and they turn there lights on when they say it's safe. The way a few responded it might be unsafe for the one being pulled over to wait and have it turn out to actually be a cop.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 10:26:58 AM »
Cops don't seem to have much problem blocking half the highway just to pull somebody over  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin