Author Topic: Love for full power rifle rounds  (Read 1785 times)

dogmush

• friend
Love for full power rifle rounds
« on: June 09, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »
I have been shooting exclusively intermediate rounds and pistol for several years now.  No real reason, that's just what my interests have been doing lately.  Up until today, .300BLK is the largest round I've fired in a while.

This morning I unexpectedly had some time off work and thought to myself: "Self, I have a brand new PTR-91 and some time on my hands."  So I grabbed 15 mags, the rifle, my new scope (hat tip to MonkeyLeg) and drove down to the outdoor range.  I got into position, sighted in on a 50M (to zero) target and started laying fire.

Oh Yeah.  That's right, real rounds are FUN to shoot.

I zeroed my scope in at .5" high at 100, and then was using the ballistic reticle to ring 24"X 24" steel gongs out to 400 like it was cool.  Sight, breath, squeeze, BOOM.......Ding!  [ar15] My hits started to fall apart at 5 and 6 hundred, but I was still just having a blast.  I had honestly forgotten how much fun laying down and shooting a full sized rifle round was.  Not precision.  Not a match.  My groups were 3.5-4 MOA.  But ringing that steel was the most fun I've had with a gun in a while. I put 300 rounds down range just in the zone.

I honestly enjoyed the PTR as well.  Not a "sniper" rifle.  Not what you'd call precision.....anything really. just a well built machine doing it's job 100%.  Pull the trigger, and it fires, ejects, loads and is ready to go.  The rounds will hit a torso for a long way.  It has design issues, but it's a great battle rifle.

So, if like me, you have parts of your collection, or shooting skills that you haven't exercised in a while, try to get out and use them.  You might surprise yourself how much fun it still is.

*As a bonus, AR's are THE cool gun around here  and carbines out to about 150 seems to be what the cool kids do.  So I'm at the range and all around I get these little "Crack, crack, crack" and then I touch of the .308.  A distinctly different sound.  And shooting steel, the whole range was hearing my hits.  "Crack, crack, crack, Boom....ding" =D =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Love for full power rifle rounds
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 05:53:36 PM »
I tend to piss off people when I bring my .300 WM to the range.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »
Great post, but you misspelled "M1 Garand" and ".30-06" a few times.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
I'd like to get one of the Mossberg MVP rifles in .308, but its not a priority.  I like my mouse rifles for now anyway  [ar15]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:00:34 PM »
If it doesn't kick, it doesn't feel like I'm shooting.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »
I'd like to get one of the Mossberg MVP rifles in .308, but its not a priority.  I like my mouse rifles for now anyway  [ar15]

I was looking at that and the Savage Hog Hunter.  I went with the HH for two reasons: I found one for a great price and the LOP on the Mossberg was a bit shorter than I'd like.  The price was the main reason.  The LNIB HH was $230 cheaper than the new Mossberg.  That's a lot of ammo...

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »
*As a bonus, AR's are THE cool gun around here  and carbines out to about 150 seems to be what the cool kids do.  So I'm at the range and all around I get these little "Crack, crack, crack" and then I touch of the .308.  A distinctly different sound.  And shooting steel, the whole range was hearing my hits.  "Crack, crack, crack, Boom....ding" grin grin

I did the opposite at my range.  Some guys were shooting scoped deer rifles at the 300 yard steel and sometimes hitting it.  I used my red dot-sighted AR to hit 10 for 10.  Standing.  =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 05:09:00 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Great post, but you misspelled "M1 Garand" and ".30-06" a few times.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »

Yeah, my 338 lapua does that too....which is why its suppressed now :)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 09:52:47 AM »

Last time I took the .50 out, people left and went home.  The first time I took the .50 out was just to function test it after I built it.  The closest range that allowed it was an indoor range.  Setting off a braked .50BMG in a space 12 feet wide and 50 yds long is  more of a shockwave then a sound really.  I didn't shoot many rounds.

But in my mind, those rounds pass into "magnum" territory instead of just "full power".  I had a .338 win mag back in the day that I sold because it was so punishing to shoot that it wasn't fun.  The only reason the .50 is fun is that it weighs 40lbs.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »
Last time I took the .50 out, people left and went home.  The first time I took the .50 out was just to function test it after I built it.  The closest range that allowed it was an indoor range.  Setting off a braked .50BMG in a space 12 feet wide and 50 yds long is  more of a shockwave then a sound really.  I didn't shoot many rounds.

But in my mind, those rounds pass into "magnum" territory instead of just "full power".  I had a .338 win mag back in the day that I sold because it was so punishing to shoot that it wasn't fun.  The only reason the .50 is fun is that it weighs 40lbs.

My .454 Casull also tends to drive people away also.

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
Still waiting for Saiga to make a .45-70 AK that can take BP loads.  Nothing like taking bets on whether the smoke will clear before the bullet hits the 500yd gong.  Firing BP from the upwind end of the line is fun too...or having 2-3 shooters with it when there's about a 5mph breeze going downrange.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 10:51:46 AM »
I was looking at that and the Savage Hog Hunter.  I went with the HH for two reasons: I found one for a great price and the LOP on the Mossberg was a bit shorter than I'd like.  The price was the main reason.  The LNIB HH was $230 cheaper than the new Mossberg.  That's a lot of ammo...

Chris

I'm good with a short LOP.

Truth be told, if I end up with a .308 in my stable, it'll likely be a built-by-me AR 10.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »
Any magnum handgun cartridge loaded with H110 also tends to drive the folks away, especially indoors.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
My .454 Casull also tends to drive people away also.

LOl. My .480 draws attention- everyone wants to see what the heck I'm shooting, then I have to allow them the obligatory couple shots to try it out. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
Any magnum handgun cartridge loaded with H110 also tends to drive the folks away, especially indoors.

Honestly this was the only reason I enjoyed having a Mosin.  Shaking the entire firing line with a shot tended to get everyone's attention.
JD

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 11:37:30 AM »
Still waiting for Saiga to make a .45-70 AK that can take BP loads.  Nothing like taking bets on whether the smoke will clear before the bullet hits the 500yd gong.  Firing BP from the upwind end of the line is fun too...or having 2-3 shooters with it when there's about a 5mph breeze going downrange.

Izhmash or Molot SERIOUSLY needs to make this.  =D But it'll have to be a receiver and magazine size created from the ground up to do it.   =|

Tony Rumore/Tromix tried to make one out of a .410 Saiga, but had to "settle" (not a horrible compromise, save for the heavier bullets .45-70 can be loaded with, and price/commonality of ammo.) for .444 Marlin. .45-70 won't fit in the .410 magazines. Even then they had to stick with four round magazines because the stacking angle won't work right at more than four, and the rounds tip too high and hit the receiver cover. Four is adequate for hunting, but kind of ruins the premise of why folks would want a .44/.45 caliber rifle centerfire AK in the first place.

And frankly, I don't think much of anything special needs to be done to make an AK compatible with BP. It'll run fine for a few magazines worth of BP as-is.  Blast it out with brake or carb cleaner, then spritz it with Rem Oil, or just some old oil from the drain pan in the garage and it'll be good as new again.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
Even then they had to stick with four round magazines because the stacking angle won't work right at more than four, and the rounds tip too high and hit the receiver cover. Four is adequate for hunting, but kind of ruins the premise of why folks would want a .44/.45 caliber rifle centerfire AK in the first place.

So they can have the first 100 round drum mag with integrated wheels?

And frankly, I don't think much of anything special needs to be done to make an AK compatible with BP. It'll run fine for a few magazines worth of BP as-is.  Blast it out with brake or carb cleaner, then spritz it with Rem Oil, or just some old oil from the drain pan in the garage and it'll be good as new again.

Might have to work up some sort of external scraper for the gas port, though, like the little tip cleaner on a Coleman lantern.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 12:47:47 PM »
Honestly this was the only reason I enjoyed having a Mosin.  Shaking the entire firing line with a shot tended to get everyone's attention.

Yes, when I shot 3 nights a week at an indoor public range an M-44 was my homey be gone. As soon as somebody next to me started being an idiot with sideways shooting, posturing for girlfriends, pointing guns everywhere but downrange, etc I'd decide it was time to shoot the Mosin with whatever the foulest surplus ammo I could find. Usually made me a semi-private range quickly.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
I used to have a Hakim in 7.92x57.  The rifle had a muzzle brake that was quite efficient and quite loud. It was a pussycat to shoot, but anyone on either side would risk ruptured eardrums and a stiff breeze from the redirected gases: BLAM!  *whoosh*   BLAM!  *whoosh* ...
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 11:13:46 PM »
I used to have a Hakim in 7.92x57.  The rifle had a muzzle brake that was quite efficient and quite loud. It was a pussycat to shoot, but anyone on either side would risk ruptured eardrums and a stiff breeze from the redirected gases: BLAM!  *whoosh*   BLAM!  *whoosh* ...

I've got a Yugo M48 (Yugoslav k98 clone) in 7.92 x 57.   No brake or anything - it rivals the Mosin Nagant as a flamethrower....  :D

But yeah, there's something about full power rifle cartridges...   We had a known distance Appleseed shoot here a few months ago, and it was probably a 50/50 split of .223/5.56 and .30 caliber (.30-06 and .308).   The shoot boss called it a line full of Ferrari's....   Nothing like the thundering roar of 20 or so .30 cal rifles opening up all at once... >:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 09:39:01 AM »
I've got a Yugo M48 (Yugoslav k98 clone) in 7.92 x 57.   No brake or anything - it rivals the Mosin Nagant as a flamethrower....

Not so much fire, but if you want plenty of boom, a friend has a .243 with a barely legal barrel and muzzle brake.  He gets asked who's shooting .50BMG every time he goes to the range with it.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »
Yeah, my 338 lapua does that too....which is why its suppressed now :)

That was mighty neighborly of you. 

I'm good with a short LOP.

I am a bigger guy, but I have no problem with most shorter LOP rifles.

Yep. I think 2400 get almost the velocity at mush less subjective drama.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »

I prefer W296 myself  =D.

Since I tore up my shoulder the really big boomers don't hold much interest for me. I have to wear a recoil pad when I shoot most center fire rounds, even .357 Mag out of my 1894C gets me after 20+ rounds with out one.
I tried left handed but that shoulder is even worse.

I do like the bog bores like my Sharps 1874 in .45-70 or my .50 cal flintlock. Of course shooting real black powder works best if you can get the upwind bench.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »
That was mighty neighborly of you. 

I am a bigger guy, but I have no problem with most shorter LOP rifles.

Yep. I think 2400 get almost the velocity at mush less subjective drama.

AA #9 is what I use, same velocity a lot less flash, but a 2' fireball at the muzzle my .454 is pretty impressive with H110.

Uranus is a gas giant.