Author Topic: An obvious scam  (Read 942 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
An obvious scam
« on: June 10, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »
I listed my Harley on Cycle Trader yesterday. Within an hour I got an email from a woman saying she was in the Navy, and was at sea, but wanted to buy the bike for her father's birthday. She said she'd pay the asking price (which is very reasonable).  My antennae went up immediately.

Today she sent the following email:

I was about to made the payment when i had a little problem with the mover they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time when they receive their money for the pick up via Money Money Gram transfer in there head  office in Kentucky, So i included $1,150 and $150 to the payment i sent to your PayPal account and PayPal will instruct you on how to get the money sent to my mover. I also asked PayPal to send a copy of the payment receipt to this email address, you can check your inbox or spam for the payment receipt.

The payment has been made and the money has been deducted from my account...Kindly get the shipping fee sent out through Money Gram to the name and address below and send the details to PayPal account customer care for your total funds to be credited. I believe that since payment has been made, the advert should be taken off the site and please do let me know the location's address including your free date and time so that i can give it to my mover to use it to register the date and time they will be coming for the pick up in your location.

Agent's Details:

Name:       Elesha Ferguson.
Address:    214 Main St, Florence, KY 41022.

Have a wonderful Day.

Uh, yeah. Right. And I'm Bambi's baby brother.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: An obvious scam
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »
Hey Florence KY is right in my neck of the woods.  Sometimes it is a good thing that English is so complex.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »
Maybe you should offer to deliver since it is so close to adively.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:06:47 PM »
Why would an American bother mentioning the country?  Was that from a form?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:31:59 PM »
these are often generic- they will reply to all sorts of ads- one funny thing is often the first contact asks if the "item" is still for sale......

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:17:34 AM »
Tell her that you will be more than happy to pay the mover when they arrive to pick up the bike, but only after payment for the bike is confirmed by your bank. See if the "buyer" flinches.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »
Maybe you should offer to deliver since it is so close to adively.

Yup; mention that you're going to be in the area for a martial arts competition and a convention of Assistant US Attorneys anyway, and might as well get in some trigger time at the nearest 1000yd range and drop off the bike while you're there.