Author Topic: An alternative to trauma plates on the back.  (Read 3316 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
An alternative to trauma plates on the back.
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:44:26 AM »
http://www.gizmag.com/bullet-resistant-bodyguard-blanket/32494/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=59d5f6a327-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-59d5f6a327-89720485

Not to invoke the name, or anything, but this is so much sleeker than duct-taping trauma plates to your back.  And you can probably carry it in a wheelbarrow, too.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: An alternative to trauma plates on the back.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
9:55 AM.  

Nit-picking time for Terry.

...As such, it can protect against a range of ammunition, including .9mm and .22-caliber bullets....

Three more nits to go before I meet my quota by Noon.

:D

Actually, not a bad idea, not just for schools but in general.  Also, with respect to tornado missiles.  That's why one of the better shelters is in your bathtub during a tornado.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:56:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »
I was going to say cut a head hole in the midle of it to make a bulletproof poncho, but then saw the $1000 price tag.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »
Pfft... I'd imagine it's barely NIJ IIa, otherwise the kids couldn't carry it at all.

Even more security theater.

However, I do agree it might have potential for schools in Tornado Alley, in those states like Oklahoma where the hardpan or shallow bedrock means basements are rare, unless you've got tons of extra money budgeted for blasting/drilling.  

Modern schools there (should) have hardened interior rooms and hallways, but as we've seen when they take a direct hit from an F3 or above, there's still lots of debris, crap, and partial roof collapse intruding into the interior space where people were sheltering.
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:17:25 PM »
Umm.   I just sat there and blinked at that picture for a few seconds.  The Stupid actually hurts.  Why would you think cowering under a bullet "resistant" blanket is a good idea?  Especially a blaze orange one?  I don't think hiding is a great idea in a mass shooting, but it beats being a bright orange lump on the floor that the shooter can walk up to, nudge with a foot, and then shoot in the opening.  At least the blanket will catch any through and through shots so the shooter isn't injured.  ;/

Look, I understand that "fight back" is not a doable plan for the students, but what is wrong with "Scatter and run like hell"?  Spread out the available targets, farther away moving targets are much harder to actually hit, and gets the kids out of the kill zone.  Because face it, a mass shooting is basically an ambush.  Rule 1 of an ambush is GET OUT OF THE KILL ZONE.

*expletive deleted*ing liberal admins know so little that they don't know what they don't know.

Also to pick up on Terry's meme:
As such, it can protect against a range of ammunition, including .9mm and .22-caliber bullets....

Quote from: cowardly school admin with crappy plan
.22 cal bullets are what those evil AR-15's shoot. Awesome! This thing will protect me from assault rifles.....what's that warm sensation?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »

Look, I understand that "fight back" is not a doable plan for the students, but what is wrong with "Scatter and run like hell"?  Spread out the available targets, farther away moving targets are much harder to actually hit, and gets the kids out of the kill zone.  Because face it, a mass shooting is basically an ambush.  Rule 1 of an ambush is GET OUT OF THE KILL ZONE.

*expletive deleted* liberal admins know so little that they don't know what they don't know.

It might make me a bad actor parent, but that's exactly what I tell my kids, along with 'get out of the school if possible.'
They recently had a lockdown drill where they practiced huddling into classrooms.  ;/

Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »
If I had a child in a public school, and was worried about a shooting in that particular school*, my instructions to the kid, starting at about 3rd grade, would be: "In the case of lockdown, through a chair through window, climb out window, using cover head for treeline and then home.  You have about 5 min before the cops get there, so use it wisely.  Once cops arrive, find cover where ever you are and hope they don't get trigger happy."

*expletive deleted*ck a lockdown.  I'd deal with school admin later.

That said it's easy for me to talk, because I don't have that kid.**

*Barring a specific threat, the odds of a school shooting in any particular one of the thousands of schools in the US is astonishingly low.  Picking a school and district with care can lower that even further, to the realm of statistically insignificant.

**It also allows me to be a little more dispassionate then some of my friends w/ offspring, so give and take.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 10:32:46 AM »
*Barring a specific threat, the odds of a school shooting in any particular one of the thousands of schools in the US is astonishingly low.  Picking a school and district with care can lower that even further, to the realm of statistically insignificant.

**It also allows me to be a little more dispassionate then some of my friends w/ offspring, so give and take.

**Nope, you are spot on.
*My kids go to a small private school- statistically unlikely, but I'm one to carry whenever posible and wear my seatbelt...

A good lesson to teach kids- or anyone else is don't do what the herd does, especially if the herd is being directed against its natural herd inclinations to scatter.

Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »
A slightly better idea popped up on my facebook page today.

http://wtvr.com/2014/06/11/school-shooting-invention/

If we aren't going to fight back, or GTFO, then realistic, easy to implement hardening would seem to be in order.

I do wonder how much effort it would take to just rip the door closer mounts off the door.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 05:06:27 PM »

If we aren't going to fight back, or GTFO, then realistic, easy to implement hardening would seem to be in order.

I do wonder how much effort it would take to just rip the door closer mounts off the door.

I like it.Fast,cheap,easy,and probably effective enough.

The closers I've installed have used 5/16 screws thru a single layer of sheet metal.They work fine for tens of thousands of openings but I'd bet that a big guy(or a motivated little one)could put a foot on the jamb and rip the door open enough to start the mischief.
jeff w

I like onions!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 06:44:46 PM »
http://www.gizmag.com/bullet-resistant-bodyguard-blanket/32494/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=59d5f6a327-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-59d5f6a327-89720485

Not to invoke the name, or anything, but this is so much sleeker than duct-taping trauma plates to your back.  And you can probably carry it in a wheelbarrow, too.

I don't understand why people confuse Gecko45 (who is awesome) with the wheelbarrow guy (who is a smelly pile of lame).

For the benighted:

Trauma plates on the back - hilarious.

Tactical wheelbarrow - stupid and obnoxious.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »
^^^ I am embarassed to admit that I cannot recall which one was advocating for the debarked Chihuahuas.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
^^^ I am embarassed to admit that I cannot recall which one was advocating for the debarked Chihuahuas.

That would be awfully funny in a mall security scenario, but I'm afraid those fall on the stupid and obnoxious side.

A refresher:

http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »

It was the wheelbarrow guy.John Melvin Davis.
jeff w

I like onions!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »

You fool!
I only said it once.It takes three times to summon! >:D
jeff w

I like onions!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 10:49:50 PM »
I only said it once.It takes three times to summon! >:D
John Melvin Davis
John Melvin Davis
John Melvin Davis

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 11:00:35 PM »
He who shall not be mentioned.

If he comes here and does his pigeon imitation, you'll get to clean up the mess.  :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 11:14:07 PM »
Aww, jeeze....

The Sleeve can withstand more than 550 foot-pounds of pressure, making it nearly impossible to open from the outside.

Nitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnitnit pick.

I hope they mean torque.  On the door.

That's my quota for the whole week.  I can go home now.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:20:09 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 12:15:26 AM »

Similar concept: http://www.qwicklock.com/

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »
So the blankies are somewhaat resistant to some slow-moving objects.

But what is the soft-tissue trauma inflicted when the slow-moving object strikes the blankie which then deforms into the kid's body?

Very similar to the question of how the kid's wrists will hold that bullet-resistant clipboard away from their body as it deflects the bullet.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
So the blankies are somewhaat resistant to some slow-moving objects.

But what is the soft-tissue trauma inflicted when the slow-moving object strikes the blankie which then deforms into the kid's body?

Very similar to the question of how the kid's wrists will hold that bullet-resistant clipboard away from their body as it deflects the bullet.
Not that I think it is a practical idea, but I imagine in both cases you mention the end result would be better than being shot with no barrier at all.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 08:54:51 PM »
I think it'd be easier just to tell your kid to burrow underneath the fat kid.
jeff w

I like onions!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
The door lock I get.  Bulletproof blankies?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
The closers I've installed have used 5/16 screws thru a single layer of sheet metal.They work fine for tens of thousands of openings but I'd bet that a big guy(or a motivated little one)could put a foot on the jamb and rip the door open enough to start the mischief.

I've seen plenty of them around here that are through-bolted with 14ga plates on both sides of the door.  Seems maintenance figured out it's easier to do that at install time than after the holes are wallowed out.