Author Topic: An alternative to trauma plates on the back.  (Read 3315 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: An alternative to trauma plates on the back.
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
The door lock I get.  Bulletproof blankies?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

I never could figure out how a "lockdown" was supposed to work if there were no locks  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »
why don't they put a couple of simple barrel bolts or double keyed deadbolts on the doors?  easy to lock, and strong enough to slow a gunman down as well as anything.   
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »
why don't they put a couple of simple barrel bolts or double keyed deadbolts on the doors?  easy to lock, and strong enough to slow a gunman down as well as anything.   
Maybe fire code?
I wouldn't trust the kids not to dick with the locks either.Super glue,or even random kid crap could disable a lock.
jeff w

I like onions!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
Maybe fire code?
I wouldn't trust the kids not to dick with the locks either.Super glue,or even random kid crap could disable a lock.

besides, it wouldn't freakin cost enough!!!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »
I actually had a discussion with Terpsichore's daughter, similar to what dogmush outlined: "Follow the lockdown unless you actually hear gunfire in the school. Once you hear that, break a window to get out and run like hell"
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
Look, I understand that "fight back" is not a doable plan for the students, but what is wrong with "Scatter and run like hell"?  Spread out the available targets, farther away moving targets are much harder to actually hit, and gets the kids out of the kill zone.  Because face it, a mass shooting is basically an ambush.  Rule 1 of an ambush is GET OUT OF THE KILL ZONE.

I could see the blanket being a pretty good tool, if used to evacuate; even light back armor is better than no armor at all.  The problem is the "clear and secure everything, and only then start evac" policy.  Vastly more intelligent would be to start from the entry points, using the tac teams to secure hallways while the regulars follow them in evacuating rooms in the secured portions to a previously secured location (detached gym, field house, whatever) and doing patdowns if necessary at the entrance to the evac point.  Worst case, you've already moved a bunch of students out in case the BG has a bomb.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 01:40:59 PM »
I could see the blanket being a pretty good tool, if used to evacuate; even light back armor is better than no armor at all.  The problem is the "clear and secure everything, and only then start evac" policy.  Vastly more intelligent would be to start from the entry points, using the tac teams to secure hallways while the regulars follow them in evacuating rooms in the secured portions to a previously secured location (detached gym, field house, whatever) and doing patdowns if necessary at the entrance to the evac point.  Worst case, you've already moved a bunch of students out in case the BG has a bomb.
I thought the APS wisdom was for responding officers to charge in immediately.  Wouldn't waiting for tac teams and sufficient uniforms to assemble take too long?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »
I thought the APS wisdom was for responding officers to charge in immediately.  Wouldn't waiting for tac teams and sufficient uniforms to assemble take too long?

If you have enough time to wait for a tac team, you probably didn't need one in the first place.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 02:16:43 PM »

We all know they're going to wait anyway.  Might as well have a useful plan by the time they run out of excuses for sitting behind their cars counting shots.