Author Topic: Awesome Nevada marijuana initiative looking good in the polls!  (Read 13770 times)

Awesome Nevada marijuana initiative looking good in the polls!
« on: September 24, 2006, 05:32:20 PM »
Link removed. No further discussion of illegal drugs, please.

-Preacherman

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 05:55:30 PM »
OK... This is different from what's already been litigated in Raich v. Ashcroft how, exactly?

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:31:21 PM »
Link removed. No further discussion of illegal drugs, please.

-Preacherman

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 12:42:27 PM »
It's only awesome if you're a pothead.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 12:45:23 PM »
It's awesome if I don't want my tax money frittered away trying to coerce people from getting baked.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 12:46:13 PM »
Not to be picky, but the thread title should read "poll", singular.  The initiative doesn't look so hot in the rest of the polls.
Don

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 12:58:14 PM »
Quote from: guest1
Anyone who has not heard of this awesome common sense ballot initiative by now, is not politically aware (in my book anyway).
I must not be politically aware because I've never heard of it.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 01:04:10 PM »
Yeah, Rabbi is pretty much ignorant.  Then again, he doesn't live in Nevada.

Brought to you by Sarcasm.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 01:06:10 PM »
Quote from: m1911owner
OK... This is different from what's already been litigated in Raich v. Ashcroft how, exactly?
The article appears to indicate that marijuana will be treated almost exactly the same as alcohol in Nevada if the measure passes.

I imagine the feds and some other anti-freedom, buttinskie, run other folks lives types, will immediately file for an injunction to halt implementation if the initiative passes.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 01:17:07 PM »
The initiative's language states it would "permit and regulate the sale, use and possession of one ounce or less of marijuana by persons at least 21 years of age." It also says it would require sellers to be licensed and legal, impose taxes and restrictions on them and increase criminal penalties for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol that causes death or substantial bodily harm.
They can't regulate sellers now.  How are they going to be able to do so if this passes?  And I don't think the obviously-biased web site's view about how positive the outlook for passage is to be read as gospel.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 01:30:19 PM »
Doesn't much matter if it does pass. Feds will put their boot down hard on this issue. This is one of those cases where you have to work from the top down, unfortunately.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 01:36:00 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Quote from: guest1
Anyone who has not heard of this awesome common sense ballot initiative by now, is not politically aware (in my book anyway).
I must not be politically aware because I've never heard of it.
That's ok, you're in good company.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 03:20:15 PM »
You can work from the states-on-up, but you need to hit a critical mass of states giving the fed the finger before it is actually effective.

AZ was a loose cannon when we decided to ignore fed guidelines on the speed limit, and after enough states did it then the fed had to acquiesce.

I realize that is not a perfect example, but I work with what I've got.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 07:05:01 PM »
Well, this Nevadan will not be voting for it. I have enough of a time dealing with drunk drivers in this town, don't want to deal with stoned ones too!
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 02:06:13 AM »
Quote from: Finch
Well, this Nevadan will not be voting for it. I have enough of a time dealing with drunk drivers in this town, don't want to deal with stoned ones too!
You don't already?  Of course, you may not have heard about the tests showing mj smokers being safer drivers while high.  Note that part of the bill increases penalties for driving while intoxicated, no matter what the substance.

If I was living there I'd support it.  My philosophy:  Legalize it, Regulate it, Tax it*.  Like alcohol and tobacco.  When you totally criminalize something like drugs, you actually loose control of it.  Kids here in ND have said MJ is easier to get than alcohol and tobacco.

*Reasonable tax, even a 200% tax like for A&T would be fairly sustainable.  $200 a joint would be excessive enough that the .gov would loose tax revenue and allow the black market to continue.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 02:30:47 AM »
$3 a joint was the going rate in my day. I have no idea wht it might be now. I agree, legalize it and tax it. I've seen alcohol destroy many people, I can't think of one destroyed by pot. Unless, of course, they got caught with it.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 08:34:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure that drinking and driving is already illegal in Nevada.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 09:04:05 AM »
Instead of regulating it, why not just eliminate the penalties for possession of small quantities?

The feds are not going to allow Nevadans to sell pot, even if this thing passes.

But they cannot force Nevada to pass a law prohibiting anything.

If the feds want to come in and arrest Nevadans for having a few ounces of pot, they will just look silly.

If anything, focusing LE resources on actual dealers instead of users, is likely to be more effective anyway.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 09:05:33 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
I'm pretty sure that drinking and driving is already illegal in Nevada.
as is driving while stoned.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 08:12:52 PM »
I'm all for legalizing marijuana...not because I want to smoke it but because I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to...from what I've seen, alcohol and tobacco causes more damage to a person than MJ does.

Quote from: "Firethorn"
you may not have heard about the tests showing mj smokers being safer drivers while high
Got any links?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 09:06:07 PM »
Quote from: wingnutx
It's awesome if I don't want my tax money frittered away trying to coerce people from getting baked.
Bingo.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 09:30:53 PM »
I live in Nevada
& I think weed is a dangerous addictive drug.
THATS WHY IT SHOULD BE LEGAL!.
I bought pot when I was 11, I couldn't buy beer untill I was 18.
If you are against legalizing marijuana then you are for
destroying young people, for slavery, for crime cartels & for illegal aliens committing crime.
That is the price of your irrational war against some drugs.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 12:22:42 AM »
AMEN gunsmith!  I just hope you know lots of people who will get off their butts and VOTE.

"This is not about me, or how many times I voted." -El Barto

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 06:31:28 AM »
Quote from: Firethorn
tests showing mj smokers being safer drivers while high.
I don't buy that for a second.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 07:27:13 AM »
RE: Pot smokers being safer drivers while under the influence.

I recall several studies that support such, done by the California Highway Patrol and the U.S. Dept. of Transportation.  The gist of the studies indicate the those under the influence of pot are aware of their impaired state and as such take steps to compensate for their intoxication, paying more attention to the traffic around them and their rate of travel.  In essence stoned drivers tend to drive like paranoid old women. Cheesy

I don't have links to the studies on hand, but if I find them I'll post them up.

People should NOT be driving while impaired, for what ever reason be it EtOH, pot, subscription sedatives or fatigue.  The scariest state I've ever had to drive under was while severely sleep deprived while working a rotating shift in The Bloodmines of Boulder.  Not good when the road ahead looks like a Salvador Dali painting.

IIRC, a similar initiative is due to appear on the Colorado ballots this November, mirroring Denver's recent decrimminalization of marijuana possesion in weights up to one ounce for those over the age of 21.  Here is the text of the ballot issue for Colorado:

BALLOT TITLE: AN AMENDMENT TO SECTION 18-18-406 (1) OF THE COLORADO REVISED
STATUTES MAKING LEGAL THE POSSESSION OF ONE OUNCE OR LESS OF MARIJUANA FOR ANY PERSON
TWENTY-ONE YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER.
Summary of Amendment
Under current law, any person possessing one ounce or less of marijuana is guilty of a Class 2
petty offense and is subject to a fine of up to $100. This amendment decriminalizes the possession
of this amount of marijuana for persons 21 and older, making the crime applicable only to people
under 21.
State Revenue
Fine revenue may be reduced since fines would no longer be assessed against adults who
possess one ounce or less of marijuana. However, any change in fine revenue cannot be quantified
because the total number of persons convicted of this Class 2 petty offense is unknown.
Currently, the state only tracks data on petty offense convictions in state court when a person
is also charged with a more serious misdemeanor or felony crime. It does not track data on petty
offense convictions in municipal court. In addition, judges have discretion when assessing fines, not
all offenders are assessed the maximum $100 fine, and some fines go uncollected. As a result, any
reduction in fine revenue for possessing one ounce or less of marijuana cannot be estimated.
State Expenditures
The proposal will not affect state spending. The courts' workload will not be affected
because persons charged with marijuana possession typically appear in state court on other charges.
Similarly, the Department of Public Safety will not be impacted since state law enforcement officers
typically only search a person for marijuana possession after having probable cause that another
offense has been committed. Finally, the Department of Corrections will not be affected because
the penalty for possession of one ounce or less of marijuana does not include incarceration in a state
prison.
Local Government Impact
Since municipal and county governments retain a portion of fines collected for criminal
violations, this amendment will result in a minimal reduction in local government revenue. It is
estimated that the amendment will not impact local government spending for the same reasons it will
not affect state government spending.

Source: http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/lcsstaff/bluebook/Bluebook2006.htm
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.