Author Topic: Awesome Nevada marijuana initiative looking good in the polls!  (Read 13771 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Awesome Nevada marijuana initiative looking good in the polls!
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2006, 03:08:13 AM »
I shouldn't say the police will prtect them, I should say they have legal recourse...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2006, 03:10:31 AM »
Sindawe, I would be glad to point out the difference between guns and drugs, although I'm sure you're well aware of it.  If using guns were only a matter of playing with them at the range like so many toys, then you would be right.  But, as you know, guns are highly effective weapons that can be used to preserve life and public order.  Of course, guns in society have their downside, but that is far outweighed by their positive effects.    

The same can't be said of drugs that one uses for recreation.  If marijuana is actually the only cure for one's glaucoma, then risking severe penalties might make sense.  And if a person has no dependents, it's pretty much up to them what risks they choose to take.  If the people you speak of are in that category, then we probably don't have an argument.  But when people depend on you, some risks are just irresponsible.  Yes, MLK took risks that eventually hurt his family.  Gun rights activists might take those kinds of risks.  But these were/are for real issues, not for personal gratification.

Yes, I realize that doesn't mean drugs should be illegal.  It does mean that so long as they are, the risks should not be taken lightly.  And if you get busted just for a buzz; your fault, you knew the risks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2006, 03:12:33 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
 the laws as they stand in most states are directly responsible for these girls being victimized.
Are they?  The law didn't force them into prostitution, did it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2006, 03:22:52 AM »
No, but maybe the pimp did...
Avoid cliches like the plague!