Author Topic: Youtube?  (Read 1300 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Youtube?
« on: June 20, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
Is it just me? It seems that more and more of the videos on Youtube waste a lot of time buffering instead of playing, so for many videos I get a very broken-up, unsatisfactory viewing experience. I'm on a DSL line that's not the fastest AT&T offers but it is the fastest they can offer at my house because of distance from the switching office.

Is there anything I can do to speed up Youtube?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Youtube?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »
No problems here so long as my connection is okay (I have a desktop that is bad about clinging onto resources and mucking up the speed and stability).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
Might be your connection.  I stream YouTube on several devices without effort.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
any leeches on your wireless?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »
Youtubes been working fine and dandy for me
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »
One thing it might be is that over the last couple of years, more and more Youtube videos have been posted in HD. That can tax a DSL line. You can try clicking on the little gear symbol in the lower right of the video and under "quality" changing to 480 or 360 or something, and that should help eliminate the constant buffering.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:49:45 PM »
I get some videos that hang on me. I suspect it's the poor AT&T connection here. One of the downsides to living in a small town.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 11:59:43 PM »
I also have AT&T DSL, and lately, I've been having occasional website connection problems - I sometimes click on a link and get an error message, but if I click "retry" or "reload current page" a time or two, I connect to the target website.

AT&T has been hyping their "package" deals with "improved" U-Verse internet service and VOIP phone service bundled together, so I wonder if this is their not-so-subtle way of annoying me into switching . . . any ideas from our IT/PC gurus?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 05:48:19 AM »
Occasional buffering stoppages while the DHS transmits my keystrokes and checks for any new files I may have generated.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:52:13 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 06:54:40 AM »
I've not really had that experience with Utoob.

The other day I was watching an hour-long show and it didn't stop to buffer once.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
I also have AT&T DSL, and lately, I've been having occasional website connection problems - I sometimes click on a link and get an error message, but if I click "retry" or "reload current page" a time or two, I connect to the target website.

AT&T has been hyping their "package" deals with "improved" U-Verse internet service and VOIP phone service bundled together, so I wonder if this is their not-so-subtle way of annoying me into switching . . . any ideas from our IT/PC gurus?

I've been researching AT&T DSL and Uverse because I have to come up with some solution for the times I have to stay with my folks up in the boonies. I've been using a Verizon 4G modem when I'm there, which is great with 20MB/S download speeds, but very expensive, at $50 for 6GB/mo. I have to spend more time up there, and 6GB disappears pretty quick after a few Netflix sessions. They may have an AT&T option at their place now as DSL, but AT&T in their location advertizes it as only 3-6MB/s for around $35/mo compared to Uverse (not available in the sticks) at 30MB/s for the same $35/mo, or cheaper with a bundle.

So yeah, I'm betting AT&T and others would love to get away from supporting the older DSL tech with its slower speeds. I doubt they're down-throttling you though. I expect it's more of what I mentioned in my first post - 3-6MB/s is pretty crappy for streaming, especially HD.

To veer your thread (sorry), I'm curious as to why 4G wireless connections are so danged expensive. The signal seems to be much more available now, especially in fringe areas where DSL and cable are not, and it seems like it would take much less infrastructure to put up towers than to run and maintain hundreds of miles of cable. It's MUCH faster than DSL, and comparable to cable. Yet the cost for just a bare minimum data package for someone who watches maybe a half dozen streaming HD movies a month, and does fairly normal Internet browsing, will run $150/mo and up for the 4G to get maybe 30GB/mo of data. My cable company recently put a cap on data, but the cap is 250GB/mo for $60/mo (went up $10 when I dumped the TV part of my cable), which even with nearly daily Netflix, I haven't come close to.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 01:00:32 PM »
Youtube is really shitty for me. It's been aggravating for a while now, pausing a lot and such but now it's just gone completely down the crapper. I'm wondering if some of it isn't ISP idiocy.

Netflix, on the other hand, works just damn fine.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »
I think they tweaked something on their end again, I now get a lot of failures to start playing or random pauses.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
And it's a shame, because there is a lot of good *expletive deleted*it on youtube. Here's a channel yall might like

https://www.youtube.com/user/Ella73TV2
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!